HP Universal Printer Driver conflicts with other HP drivers - Printer not ready (1297 Views)
Occasional Collector
InkassoUnie
Message 1 of 3 (1,297 Views)

HP Universal Printer Driver conflicts with other HP drivers - Printer not ready

[ Edited ]

Dear HP users,

In our organization we have 4 different HP printers:

Laserjet 3055

Laserjet M525 MFP

Color Laserjet M575 MFP

Color Laserjet M775 MFP

Last friday i added the latest HP Universal Printer Driver (upd-pcl6-x64-5.6.0.14430) to our printserver, for the HP laserjet 3055. From that moment on, users went complaining that they can't print anymore.

The symptoms are as following:

When the user wants to print, they get the message "printer not ready". this occurs random.

The user can't print from any application, to any printer, at that moment.

Only a particular user has the problem, no complete department for example.

restarting the print spooler alone doesn't fix the issue/

i have a temporary fix for this:

remove the printers from the users account

empty the folder c:\windows\system32\spool\printers

emty the folder c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\x64.

after a reboot the printers are readded by the loginscript, and the user can print again.

This is a temporary fix, but after a while the problem comes back to the same user(s).

i deleted the UPD package from the print server already, but the problem continues. So far, only users printing to a HP M525 MFP reported the problem. Users printing to the other devices are not affected.

facts:

clients: Windows 7 SP1 Enterprise x64

printserver: Windows Server 2008 x64

drivers: each model uses it's own propriatery driver, latest version downloaded on HP Support.

For the Laserjet 3055, only the UPD driver is available for download. I have also problems with the UPD driver for this model, but that's another story.

Anyone have suggestions how to complete fix this issue?

Thanks in advance.

HP Pro
ApolloXIII
Message 2 of 3 (1,094 Views)

Re: HP Universal Printer Driver conflicts with other HP drivers - Printer not ready

I'm not familiar with your exact issue, but I find that many times when there are problems with the HP UPD it has to do with the way the print queues were created.   

Did you by chance keep an existing print queue on the print server and switch the driver from a product-specific driver to HP UPD?    And did you then change it back to a product-specific driver? 

I have found that the most predictable and reliable way change print drivers is to create a new print queue.   The new queue can have the same name and share name as the previous queue, but in by creating a new queue there's no chance of old registry entries from one driver being used with a new printer driver. 

If you look at www.hp.com/go/upd, there is a link for the Print Administrator's Resource Kit or PARK.   The PARK contains tools to automate the process deleting / recreating print queues.    AutoUpgradeUPD.exe is one tool that I have found to be helpful, and it can be used to create print queues with UPD or an HP product-specific driver. 

Once a clean print queue has been created, all the necessary files and registry information should be pushed to the cilent systems via Point and Print.   This is an operating system feature, not specific to any particular print driver.    In most cases, this works as expected.   In the rare case that it does not, you may find the HP PRNCON utility in the PARK to be helpful.   This utility deletes and recreates the printer connection on the client.   There is an option to wait a specified number of milliseconds between deleting and recreating the connection.  I like to use a 3000 millisecond delay.

Say Thanks by clicking the thumbs up icon.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Pro
Rubenator
Message 3 of 3 (958 Views)

Re: HP Universal Printer Driver conflicts with other HP drivers - Printer not ready

Hi,
try remove upd drive and remove all old print queue, remove all print driver from "Print server properties", restart comp
after restart, install new ver upd 5.5 driver and reinstall printer's
Hope it help fix your problem
Regards,
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.