HP UPD - Universal Print Driver - Colour\Greyscale error... (4804 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Dover_College
Message 1 of 6 (4,804 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP UPD - Universal Print Driver - Colour\Greyscale error...

Hi,

We have had the HP UPD since about v4.8, running absolutely fine on our print server which is a virtual 2008R2 (SP1) box hosting both x64 and x86 drivers - we currently have v5.3 on the majority of printers, v5.4 on the re-installs I will mention below.

The appeal of the Universal driver is that we have the ability to configure "Printing Shortcuts" which are all deployed to the user, allowing us to default our printers to duplex and greyscale, and easily allow the end-user to change to any of the options we have deployed. The options we tend to deploy are as follows -

• Mono - single sided printing
  • Mono - double sided printing
  • Colour - single sided printing
  • Colour - double sided printing

Since we have re-installed a few of the printers from scratch, the "Print in greyscale" toggle seems to be ignored in some situations.

Example 1
The default "Printing Shortcut" is set to "Mono - double sided printing" and the user would like to print in colour
The user clicks "Printer Properties" and changes the "Printing Shortcut" to one of the colour options
The visual thumbnail at the top right changes to reflect this (the graph in the thumbnail is now in colour)
The user clicks "OK" to close the properties window, and presses print.
The document comes out in greyscale.....

Example 2
The default "Printing Shortcut" is set to "Colour - double sided printing" and the user would like to print in greyscale
The user clicks "Printer Properties" and changes the "Printing Shortcut" to one of the greyscale options
The visual thumbnail at the top right changes to reflect this (the graph in the thumbnail is now in greyscale)
The user clicks "OK" to close the properties window, and presses print.
The image comes out in colour.....

It seems that the "Print in greyscale" toggle is ignored by the printing shortcuts - and will default back to the option chosen for the default "Printing Shortcut" deployed with the driver - this does not affect the duplex settings, paper settings etc... Just the "Print in greyscale" option.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Cheers,
Simon

Frequent Advisor
Stephen Hogan
Message 2 of 6 (4,783 Views)

Re: HP UPD - Universal Print Driver - Color\Grayscale error...

Hi Simon,

We've been users of UPD since 4.8 as well, now on 5.4 PCL6 (never used the PS or PCL5 versions).

Same problem, but a slightly different implementation.

The way you have configured your shortcuts, I actually have Print Queues:

So my printers are:

• HP CM6030f Mono/Simplex
  • HP CM6030f Mono/Duplex
  • HP CM6030f Colour/Simplex
  • HP CM6030f Colour/Duplex

Within each of these queues, I have "Portrait" and "Landscape" set up as custom Printing Shortcuts.

Under the Printing Shortcuts, I set a custom shortcut "Portrait" as the default (selecting it and clicking on "Apply", with "Landscape" underneath - I do this on "General" tab "Printing Preferences" and again in the "Advanced" tab "Printing Preferences").

But I have traced it to exactly the same problem that you have: the toggling of the "Print in Greyscale" is not "remembered".

Strangely the toggle is remembered in the Mono/Simplex queue, but not in the Mono/Duplex. And having tried a few things, I have seen Excel sheets where coloured tables have printed in black and white, but the graphs in colour! Same for web pages - images in colour but the rest of the page in black and white!

Another thing that you should be aware of: MS Office documents remember the last time print settings were used and saved with the documents. So for people in the office, it is not a big deal as they all use the same printer settings.

Butt coming in from vendors/customers via email for example, it is always an issue; in these cases, even though I have set the default Printing Shortcuts to the custom "Portrait" one, any documents sourced externally end up going to the "Factory Defaults" shortcut, so all of my customisations are undone!

In your two examples and suffering the problems I mention above, the only way (in Excel 2010 at least) I get around this is by selecting the print queue, clicking on "Printer Properties" and changing the "Print in Greyscale" option manually.

Few things that might help you though:

1. Ensure you are using the correct Print Processor ("Advanced" tab) - for v5.4. it is HPCPP118.
  2. Ensure you are using the proper driver - i.e.. the one where the version no. Is part of the name, as in "HP Universal Printing PCL 6 (v5.4)" and not just  "HP Universal Printing PCL 6".
  3. For multiple print queues, use the same driver if possible.
  4. In "Print Server Properties", "Drivers" tab, remove all non-used drivers (that's where the v5.4 mentioned above comes in handy!).
  5. In each print queues "properties", click on "Device Settings", scroll all the way to the bottom. Set device type to "Monochrome" or "Colour" as appropriate to the queue.

Sorry I am not much more help, but it's nice to see someone else do something similar. I thought I was the only one!

Regards,

Stephen

Occasional Visitor
Bruno Dobler
Message 3 of 6 (4,750 Views)

Re: HP UPD - Universal Print Driver - Colour\Greyscale error...

This error has been described in the release-notes just 7 days after publishing the diver. I needed several hours to identify the problem last month. 

Known Issue of version 5.4:  11760  Color Option selection defined on the Color tab, or through Driver Configuration Utility, saved as a Shortcut in the driver does not retain setting.  Example- setting “Print in Grayscale” saved as shortcut name “Print black and white” outputs job in color, preview icon may show as grayscale or color.

Now it takes me even more effort to recognize that 5 month later there is no corrected driver nor is there the good working driver  5.2. available. That behavior from HP as a market leader for printing devices is at least annoying.

Frequent Advisor
Stephen Hogan
Message 4 of 6 (4,741 Views)

I totally agree. But for me it ceters around MS OFfice (2010) documents.

What about you?

Occasional Contributor
Dover_College
Message 5 of 6 (4,447 Views)

New driver was released on June 27th (5.5.0)  we have tested on our colour laserjets, problem is fixed.

SR

Frequent Advisor
Stephen Hogan
Message 6 of 6 (4,435 Views)

Will test tonight. Thanks guys for listening!

I'll let you know how things work out tomorrow.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.