HP LJ 4050TN + HP Jetdirect 615n Print Server installation problems (106 Views)
Occasional Visitor
fonsty
Message 1 of 3 (106 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP LJ 4050TN + HP Jetdirect 615n Print Server installation problems

Hi!

I need help how to install printer and this LAN card to work-print from my laptop.

I have HP LaserJet 4050 and it works OK via parallel cable on my ex desktop PC but now I have HP laptop without parallel connector so I bought HP Jetdirect 615n Print Server because it's cheaper than USB card and LAN cable is cheaper too.
Now I need help how to install printer and this LAN card to work-print from my laptop.
I read manuals of Jetdirect 615n Print Server and 4050 printer but I don't know what exactly I need to do. Step by step.
I have Win XP Pro SP3, printer and laptop are connected via LAN UTP cable (LED's are green, I was installed drivers for 4050 in Network Connections under LAN status is Limited or no connection, on 4050 under HP JetDirect Configuration Status is : I/O Card Not Ready.

What I need to do ?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
David Zuts
Message 2 of 3 (106 Views)

Re: HP LJ 4050TN + HP Jetdirect 615n Print Server installation problems

First off you made a mistake buying a 615N as that is the worst jetdirect card hp ever produced. It will go bad and maybe already. If you are connecting the output of the nic card directly to the rj45 input of the computer then you need to use a crossover cable. Once you do that you need to establish an address for the printer and an address for the computer within the same range. In other words go to the EIO menu of the printer and give it a tcp/ip address of 192.168.1.2 and then give your computer a tcp/ip address of 192.168.1.3 and then load the printer using the add printer wizard, local port and then create port, tcp/ip, type in the address and finish up.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
fonsty
Message 3 of 3 (106 Views)

Re: HP LJ 4050TN + HP Jetdirect 615n Print Server installation problems

David, thank you very much for help!
I didn't know how to resolve my problem; now it look so simple and printer work.
I choose 615 card from HP accessories compatibility chart and I bought it with 2x32 MB RAM so now I have both.
Now it works like before with desktop PC via Serial cable.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation