Envy 4500 (569 Views)
Occasional Visitor
frank1111
Message 1 of 10 (569 Views)

Envy 4500

I have installed my Envy 4500 on my home network with a wireless cable modem that is WPA protected.  I take my computer to work everyday and bring it home everynite.  Each nite, when I try to print wirelessly, the printer won't work.  I have to re-set my password on the computer, then run the HP doctor and go through stuff I can't even remember.  I think it's just luck that it works again each nite.  MY Question --  why can't I just come home each nite and print???

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 2 of 10 (540 Views)

Re: Envy 4500 problems with wireless printing

What OS version are you running on your laptop?

Do you change any configuration while you are at work?

Do you have any problems talking to your wireless router using its EWS?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
frank1111
Message 3 of 10 (527 Views)

Thank you for responding so quickly.  

I use Windows 7 Pro  w/ Service Pack 1.

I don't do anything differntly at work.  I just turn on my computer and it connects to my network.  

Also, my wife leaves her computer at the house and doesn't take it anywhere, and she has the same problem.  She is also running Windows 7 Pro.

While we don't have any problems connecting to the internet wirelessly, I will say our internet is not the best.  We do NOT have a static IP.  

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 4 of 10 (518 Views)

>I just turn on my computer and it connects to my network.

Are you in a domain at work?  Do you sleep/hibernate or just shutdown?

>We do NOT have a static IP.

You may have to use that for your printer.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
SueDi
Message 5 of 10 (502 Views)

I'm having the same problems.  I don't take my laptop anywhere outside my building, but I set it up and it printed perfectly  and now it's not printing.  It acts like it's going to print and the printer icon shows up in the bottom toolbar but then I get an 'error printing' display.  I can't scan either.  Although it's saying that it's connected to the network, everywhere I have checked, it's acting like the laptop isn't talking to the printer.  I am computer problem challenged so I'm limited in what to do.

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 6 of 10 (494 Views)

>I set it up and it printed perfectly  and now it's not printing.

Can you print out a configuration page from the printer and/or find its IP address.

Can you bring up the EWS of the printer by typing the IP address into your browser.

Do you have the IP address of your router?  (What model?)  Can you bring up its EWS?

(And look at the DHCP clients and see if it sees your printer.)

Please use plain text.
mdz
Occasional Visitor
mdz
Message 7 of 10 (477 Views)

I can not print anything on my printer except the report which states that everything is working.  I have tried everything and the document just gets stuck in the queue; where I have to go in and delete it but then it still does not work .  Wireless is connected and everything has been reset.  Troubleshooter can not find any problem except  when the doc is stuck in queue.  Any help?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Shad555
Message 8 of 10 (422 Views)

I am having the same problem. Printer Wireless Network Test Results and HP Network Configuration reports both indicate all is fine.

Previously, my laptop (Windows 7) and iPad (latest iOS update as of Feb 25, 2014) could both print wirelessly with no problems.

Today, laptop print dialog books starts off looking like the doc will print, but then quickly switches to 'Error - printing' with no explanation and no additional troubleshooting turns up the cause.

iPad doesn't even recognize that it is associated with a printer (like I said, was working fine just days ago).

Is uninstall and reinstall my only option at this point? 

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 9 of 10 (412 Views)

>Is uninstall and reinstall my only option at this point?

Not sure.  What is the IP address when you print a printer config page?

What is the IP address that the computer thinks it should be?

Can you get to the EWS of the printer from your browser?

I once had a similar problem and solved it by rebooting the router.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
SueDi
Message 10 of 10 (404 Views)

I have resolved my problem.  My granddaughter had loaded Google chrome which also came with some other add-ons that she accepted but they interfered with the printing capabilities.  Once I uninstalled the programs the printer worked fine.  It had to do with security add-ons that blocked the printer access.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation