SharePoint Security synchronization with HP TRIM container security (438 Views)
Occasional Advisor
RM_TRIM
Message 1 of 7 (438 Views)

SharePoint Security synchronization with HP TRIM container security

[ Edited ]

Hello All,

Just curious if anybody knows how to solve this issue?

I have a SharePoint Site with it's security groups. For simplicity, lets assume the standard SharePoint groups

Owners

Members

Visitors

Within this SharePoint site I have users of the members group that have contribute access to a SharePoint document library. The RMO's for the document library allow a container to be created automatically based on the TRIM Record Type.

This new container does not have the same permissions as the SharePoint site, as the permissions were based on the Record Type. Is there some way that I can sync the permissions for the SharePoint Site / Document Library to the TRIM container so that only users with the appropriate permissions would be allowed to perform the relevant tasks in TRIM & SharePoint?

Thanks,

Robert

Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 2 of 7 (417 Views)

Re: SharePoint Security synchronization with HP TRIM container security

Unfortunately you can't really map security 1-to-1 between TRIM and SharePoint.  They have completely different security models.

Occasional Advisor
RM_TRIM
Message 3 of 7 (415 Views)

Ouch, that is what I was afraid of. 

So, if a user has contribute access in SharePoint and Read only access in HP TRIM on the container, would the item uploaded to the SharePoint library become managed in TRIM.

This could be a bit of an issue as SharePoint users may not realise that TRIM permissions are not allowing them to contribute to the library

Which also raises another question, if a user does not have access to a SharePoint library (they were a member of the SharePoint site and were removed at a later stage), but has read access in TRIM on the container, they would be able to access the content via TRIM.

Thanks,

Robert

Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 4 of 7 (404 Views)

Yep, you've answered your own questions there. :)

TRIM and Shareponit DO NOT SHARE any security.

There is a certain level of intergration and ability to control some functionality in Sharepoint based on TRIM permissions, but if a user has access to a particular SP or TRIM document/record, they will be able to see it in the native system.

e.g. If a secure document is 'exposed' from TRIM to a SP library that this user has access to, they will be able to see the document!

If a user has no access to a SP library but the container for that library in TRIM is set to a lower security/access level, the user will be able to see it in TRIM.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Occasional Advisor
RM_TRIM
Message 5 of 7 (397 Views)

Excuse my ignorance as I am still a novice as far as HP TRIM goes.

Is it possible to programmatically add users to a container with the appropriate permissions. HP TRIM exposes a web service layer, but I cannot find any documentation around the API or the Web Services.

My thoughts would be to run custom code to synchronise the SharePoint security with the TRIM security.

It would really help if I could be pointed to some documentation

Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 6 of 7 (395 Views)

There's SDK doco provided on the TRIM install CD/ISO.

If you need help with anything specific, the SDK forum here could provide some assistance or you can contact the TRIM SDK support team here. (Raise a support case as normal)

You might be able to alter access controls with some level of automation, but there are probably better ways to do this than trying to mess with SP/TRIM access and security.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 7 of 7 (382 Views)

I pity the fool who tries to synch the two systems together!

Just kidding :)

But seriously that would be challenging.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.