Query TRIM metadata from SharePoint search metadata (411 Views)
Occasional Advisor
RM_TRIM
Message 1 of 5 (411 Views)

Query TRIM metadata from SharePoint search metadata

Hello All,

I was wondering if there was any way that I could query the user defined fields in TRIM from the SharePoint Search Web Part.

For example, I have a number of archived records that users access infrequently. If a user needed to look up the information in TRIM and was looking for records by querying the ABN of an organisation which is a user defined field in TRIM, we would like to get back any documents where the TRIM metadata for the ABN matched the user input value.

I played around with the Search Web Part, and only found an input for keyword. The search works perfectly and returns the results that have the keyword in the title or the document content, but I could not find anyway to run a search on the TRIM metadata.

Thanks,

Robert

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 2 of 5 (403 Views)

Re: Query TRIM metadata from SharePoint search metadata

Yes, you can.  It uses the same search string methodology as the thick client.  Easiest way to determine what the string would be to follow these steps:

1) Open TRIM

2) Construct a Search (using the boolean editor and your UDF)

3) Execute the search

4) Click Tools->Options->Search->For Records->String-based search editor and then click ok

5) Refne your search

6) The resulting string search will include the proper notation for using UDF's

Cheers,

Erik

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
RM_TRIM
Message 3 of 5 (394 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Erik,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried the exact procedure you mentioned in TRIM using the Demo DB, I did a search for notes:TRIM and got a set of results.

The only issue I have is that I am not sure where in the Search Results Web Part do I have to enter the string "notes:TRIM"

I tried entering into the Fixed Keyword Query field, but I do not get any results returned.

Am I missing something?

I should also mention that I tried running the search in SharePoint via the link "...../_layouts/HPIntegration/Pages/DataStoreSearckProvider.aspx?k=notes:TRIM", but I keep getting the error - C1010 Access to the specified site failed. ......

Regards,

Robert

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
RM_TRIM
Message 4 of 5 (376 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok, finally figured out what the issue was. Let me start by saying that the SharePoint - TRIM integration is fantastic, but the one thing lacking is documentation.

The issue was that the TRIM Search Results Web Part had the option [suppressmlis] in the Append Text To Query field. I assume this suppresses the Managed List Items from showing up in the search results. Strangely although the results were not Managed List Items, they were still not showing up. I changed this value to dsformatted after finding this value in another post http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/SharePoint-Integration/Suppressmlis-option/td-p/5643749#.UISZPIZB4df

Changing the value to [dsformatted] works and results for the TRIM metadata query are now being returned.

For example you could have a page for users to access records in TRIM that belong to a particular container.

• Create a SharePoint page and add the HP TRIM Search Results web part to that page.
  • Follow EWisleys example above for generating the query string (In my case I am using container:293)
  • Edit the search results web part in SharePoint
  • Expand the Results Query Options Settings of the web part
  • Enter the query string that you have copied from TRIM in the Fixed Keyword Query field  (e.g.. container :293)
  • Change the value in the Append Text To Query field from [suppressmlis] to [dsformatted]
  • Click OK to save the changes you have made to the Web Part
  • The page will now display all records from the selected Container

Simple and easy.

You can test your queries by going to the following link:

http://yourSharePointSite/_layouts/HPIntegration/Pages/DataStoreSearchProvider.aspx?k=author:A61[dsformatted][pagesize=50]

The above query is only an example and can be modified as per your requirements. However, it is important to remember that if the query is not formatted correctly i.e.. if you do not add a value [dsformatted] or [suppressmlis] to the end of the query, it will fail with the error Error number: C1010 Access to the specified site failed. You may not have the necessary access permissions, it may no longer exist or not be accessable on this server The page size is optional and specified the number of records to be returned.

Please could somebody shed some light on the values that can be input for the Append Text to Query and what is the functionality for each of these options.

Thanks,

Robert

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Erik Wold
Message 5 of 5 (349 Views)

The 'Append Text To Query' field can be used as a filtering method.

Just as [suppressmlis] yields records ONLY in TRIM (not managed in SP), you can filter again to have search results only from a specific record type (for example).

(type:document)[dsformatted]   - filters for record type Document

(type:document)(disposition:inactive)[dsformatted][suppressmlis]  - filters for record type document, inactive disposition, only in TRIM (not a MLI).

7.3 documentation explains this well.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation