Gartner Removes TRIM from Enterprise Content Management Space (2055 Views)
Occasional Visitor
DrJosh
Message 1 of 11 (2,055 Views)

Gartner Removes TRIM from Enterprise Content Management Space

Quote from Gartner ...."We have removed HP from the Magic Quadrant because HP's stated strategy is to focus solely on records management and not the broader ECM market" (2010 Document number G00206900)

Can someone explain what this means, HP TRIM is no longer focusing on document management, content management and web publishing.......interesting.

Please explain HP..

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 2 of 11 (2,054 Views)

Re: Gartner Removes TRIM from Enterprise Content Management Space

Very interesting, considering it's the first I've heard of it. :smileyhappy:

TRIM isn't changing in any way that I know of, though we did just drop support for Document Assembly in 7.1 which may have something to do with this?

Do you have a link to the Gartner publications on this? Surely if they make a change like this, they could explain in detail why they did it?

NOTE: I'm in no way an official voice for HP or TRIM.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 3 of 11 (2,053 Views)

Yeah, I heard about this.  Personally I think it deals a lot with HP's focus on the sharepoint integration.  They haven't updated WCM, Meeting Manager, the desktop interface, or any other component in the suite.  It's a real shame.  The long-term approach for document management is never discussed and the desktop experience hasn't changed much since v5.  

It's a good thing there are partners out there paying more attention to the desktop experience! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
DrJosh
Message 4 of 11 (2,053 Views)

attached is the Gartner report, interesting read.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 5 of 11 (2,053 Views)

Great, thanks for the link!

No other mention of HP in there other than what you quoted already.

I'm still not sure what they mean by focusing on 'Records Management' only compared to ECM.

In my opinion, ECM falls under 'Records Management' and TRIM manages ECM just fine...

Maybe they should state specifically what ECM niche they are expecting HP to focus on?

Web Content as Erik mentioned? WCM is a bit dated afterall... :smileyhappy:

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 6 of 11 (2,053 Views)

I thought they laid it out pretty well.  They defined it as: document management, web content management, records management, image-processing applications, social content, workflow/bpm, and extended components (document composition, e-forms, search, analytics, email and information archiving).

With the removal of Document Assembly, no real image processing interface (the bundled one doesn't even do PDF), no social content approach, a very outdated WCM, and no new features in the DM or workflow areas this isn't surprising.

HP is afterall constantly pushing the sharepoint integration as the records management component to sharepoint.  With no focus in the other areas it seems like this is an expected results.  HP will probably push more for the Forrester rating rather than try and land in the magic quadrant.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 7 of 11 (2,053 Views)

Thanks Erik,

I didn't have time to read through it yet, just searched for mentions of HP. :smileyhappy:

I think you're right, HP are obviously pushing the SharePoint Integration more than anything else right now.

HP is becoming much more software focused now with the new CEO, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of innovation in TRIM and the other software products over the next few years.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
dean john
Message 8 of 11 (2,053 Views)

I am interested in the statement,  "HP's stated strategy is to focus solely on records management and not the broader ECM market". I think this requires clarification / confirmation from HP. Is this a Gartner interpretation of HP's strategy or a have HP actually specifically stated this publicly .

If the latter it will surely influence the long term purchasing decisions of many of its clients !

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 9 of 11 (2,034 Views)

Internally we've had an executive response on this. (Not something we can publicise)

However the general answer is that HP are dedicated to using TRIM within their own records management strategy and a huge amount of development has gone into the product and even more so is planned for the future.

In other words, don't worry about the direction TRIM is going or what HP is doing with the product.

It will always be around, the customer base has grown hugely and they will continue to improve the product in all aspects.

The Gartner report is a small blip on the radar really and we still expect huge things for TRIM.

Just to make it clear as well, this is my own opinion and personal understanding of the above, it is NOT an official response from HP, it is my own personal input on this thread.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
venkat_m
Message 10 of 11 (1,963 Views)

HP's intention to buy Tower software is to increase its portfolio in Archiving products rather than having its own market share in the wider ECM market. HP TRIM, though a document management system lacks in many of the core features especially on the workflow part. There is no major improvement from 6.2 to 7.1 except the Sharepoint Integration. It is surprise for everyone that HP TRIM was there in the magic quadrant until 2009 and suddenly has been removed the next year. Does this mean that HP wants to trim HP TRIM's capabilities? :smileyhappy:

Excerpt from Gartner news analysis after the acquisition of Tower software..

"The acquisition raises the question of whether HP will continue to develop and broaden TRIM
Context 6's content management capabilities or invest in establishing a stronger archiving
platform. We believe HP is more likely to follow the latter strategy. Had HP wished to become a
serious competitor against IBM, Oracle, EMC and Microsoft in the ECM market, it would have
been better off acquiring a vendor like Interwoven or Vignette. HP intends to continue supporting
Tower's TRIM Context 6, but we question its longer-term commitment to ECM. Prospective
customers seeking an ECM suite should consider other products."

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Owais-Haroon
Message 11 of 11 (1,164 Views)

I personally think its a very honest and clear vision from HP TRIM side to acknowledge what they can do the best.  SharePoint is indeed a collaboration and general document management, working with two leading vendors who acknowledge openly and truely invest in expertise to bring the best of both worlds into one product in favour of customers.

We have vetted various solutions which claim EDM, WCM , Workflow and Records management, or hide behind SharePoint2010 ( claiming themselves to be 100% SharePoint based Record focus point of view). We found that this integration offers a heaps of technical, business benefits for customers current goals with provision to scalability without hurting the pockets.

I think HP TRIM has already proved itself to be the leader with no further endorsement from Gartner or any of these bodies who are more of marketing based on who feeds them more. I am sure most pf the companies when evaluating the software based on their requirements and doing their deligence based on reference customers and experiences.

I do know that people who start their evaluations first based on these reports are back in the market in few months after or during implememtation of these so called EDRMS.  

I yet to see a requirement from customer which can not be met from this integrated model (SharePoint + HP TRIM),  initially I was betting to see such requirement which can not be met ( I was hoping to have few to win)  but I ended up picking up the bills in Cafe / Bars. ( I stopped  betting on this now ).

One of the Customer asked for Document Assembly in 7.2 , we provided them similar ( as of TRIM) with additional features and now we have Document Assembly in 7.2 as well With few other features such as Auto Finalise, mapping of SharePoint Document Library to Multiple TRIM folders, SharePoint driven metadata Auto assigning TRIM classification etc.

If anyone has a requirement which cannot be met , I will be happy hear from you to WIN the bet this time.

regards,

Owais Haroon

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation