hpsa content migration (487 Views)
Occasional Contributor
siqbal75
Message 1 of 4 (487 Views)

hpsa content migration

Hi,

Just wondering to see if any one here uses SA's content base migration in their environment to move the content from, for example, dev to prod environment. If so, how and what is the best practices. Unfortunately, there is no help available on this topic on Google or any where. I have a PDF that tells me the overall overview as to what it is and what it does, but doesn't really explain about how to get it done.

Also, do you use something else in your environment to accomplish what I mentioned above, other then what comes with the tool itself. SA tool comes with something called, DET (DCML Exchange Utility).

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Alan Spandrzyk
Message 2 of 4 (487 Views)

Re: hpsa content migration

Hi

I have successfully moved content between cores using CBT (DET), mainly at release SA 7.5, & it does work but there are some limitations, especially if you try to take core content at a higher major release to a lower release i.e. SA 9.0 export to SA 7.5. However importing to a higher release i.e. SA 7.5 to SA 9.0 I found worked, but it’s risky to generalise. 

CBT works with filters to select the object types for extraction, this is well documented in SA Content & Utilities Guide, with specific examples on each object  type, but its up to you to decide on your use case what filter choice you should take. Taking exports is very safe, but beware when you perform the import; the default policy is to overwrite objects on the target core, so be sure you want this.

We are expecting to sync a number of standalone cores for a new project soon, using CBT incremental base options, so hope to have feedback on this option later this year.

Give CBT a go, Alan

Please use plain text.
ashinntx
Message 3 of 4 (487 Views)

I've been involved in serveral CSA4Matrix installations lately for demonstration purposes. The most time-consuming part of this is the SA setup...

Since there's some common content I needed/wanted for all, I used the cbt utility (DET) & it saved a bunch of time.

There are certainly a lot of filter options you can use, but what I found to be easiest for my purposes is to put what I wanted to export/import in a separate folder & just export using the Folder filter (I did use the recursive option).

Conveniently, associated content that was not in the folder was also exported. For instance, I didn't have all the packages of my SW Policy in the folder & they still got exported.

Sure, I still had to make manual changes in the new environment once imported (updating MRLs for instance) but time was saved & I now have somewhat standard configs across all environments.

I will warn you about an issue I found, though. My exports always failed when it included a Windows unattend.xml (not text) for an OS Sequence/Profile. Seems that the utility cannot handle the "embedded" XML. When I didn't include this type of content, the export worked just fine.

My work was in 9.02 & 9.03 environments with the Core on RHEL 5.5 x64. All SA components are on one system since these were just demo setups - not production.

-alan

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
DBR
Message 4 of 4 (436 Views)

Has anyone figured out how to use CBT(DET) to export/import Audits and Snapshots?
Thanks,
Don

ashinntx wrote:

I've been involved in serveral CSA4Matrix installations lately for demonstration purposes. The most time-consuming part of this is the SA setup...

Since there's some common content I needed/wanted for all, I used the cbt utility (DET) & it saved a bunch of time.

There are certainly a lot of filter options you can use, but what I found to be easiest for my purposes is to put what I wanted to export/import in a separate folder & just export using the Folder filter (I did use the recursive option).

Conveniently, associated content that was not in the folder was also exported. For instance, I didn't have all the packages of my SW Policy in the folder & they still got exported.

Sure, I still had to make manual changes in the new environment once imported (updating MRLs for instance) but time was saved & I now have somewhat standard configs across all environments.

I will warn you about an issue I found, though. My exports always failed when it included a Windows unattend.xml (not text) for an OS Sequence/Profile. Seems that the utility cannot handle the "embedded" XML. When I didn't include this type of content, the export worked just fine.

My work was in 9.02 & 9.03 environments with the Core on RHEL 5.5 x64. All SA components are on one system since these were just demo setups - not production.

-alan

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation