HPSA and VMware vSphere 5.5 : E1000 adapter works where VMXNET3 does not (457 Views)
Contributor
muebel
Message 1 of 4 (457 Views)

HPSA and VMware vSphere 5.5 : E1000 adapter works where VMXNET3 does not

I have been able to run a redhat 6 build plan successfully on a virtual machine using a E1000 network adapter, but when I try to run the same build plan against a VM using a VMXNET3 adapter, the build plan fails on the "polling for maintenance mode" step with the message:

com.opsware.v12n.V12nJobMessageSpec.MAINTENANCE_MODE_POLL_ERROR

The virtual machine has not communicated back to the core. This may be due to a lack of network connectivity. Verify the IP settings and ensure the new virtual machine’s network connectivity to the core. Try logging in to the VM console to diagnose the failure.

When I look at the console the machine is at the "welcome to redhat" blue screen.

What could be going on here?

Occasional Advisor
mhalderman
Message 2 of 4 (204 Views)

Re: HPSA and VMware vSphere 5.5 : E1000 adapter works where VMXNET3 does not

I am having the same issue here. I think the 'latest' vmxnet3 Linux NIC drivers (for vcenter 5.5) need to be injected into the SA boot agent.  The problem I am having is im not sure which initrd.img file to inject them into.

Advisor
Ramon_Vazquez
Message 3 of 4 (195 Views)

Some hints on how to add drivers to pxe images:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00934927

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1405856

But only contains details for winpe. I also have good procedures for linux pxe images (doen is previous SA version); but they are HP PSO intellectual property sorry.

If you have time and a lab environment... not trivial, neither impossible, good luck.

Regards,

Ramon

Occasional Advisor
mhalderman
Message 4 of 4 (180 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply Ramon.

We actually got this issue resolved. It was not a driver issue at all. It turns out Red Hats Anaconda distributes DHCP packets in unicast form, the Windows PXE environment pushes "broadcast" DHCP packets. There was a configuration on our network switches that was not allowing unicast packets to be forwarded back to the client (the new builds). A change on our network switches fixed this issue.

However - I did end up rebuilding the initrd.img file that gets loaded for OSBP's to run. I used the following link (with a few minor adjustments for RHEL6), and injected the latest vmxnet3 drivers in /opt/opsware/boot/tftpboot/rhel60/initrd.img.

http://vmwire.com/2011/06/11/vmware-tools-rpm-installation-with-pxeboot-and-kickstart-3/

RHEL6 by default does come with vmxnet3 NIC drivers provided by Red Hat. I do remember having to inject the vmxnet3 and pvscsi drivers into the RHEL5 initrd.img though.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.