Re: New john the ripper patch (335 Views)
Trusted Contributor
David Jones_21
Message 1 of 3 (344 Views)

New john the ripper patch

I attached a zip file with a new patch for John the Ripper (1.7.3.1) to support OpenVMS password hashes. The major difference between this patch and the 2002 patch by Jean-loup Gailly is that this version supports mixed-case passwords (UAI flag UAI$M_PWDMIX). It is also multi-threaded, increasing performance up to 50-65% on a dual-processor system (splitting your password file into multiple jobs is probably more effective).

The only builds done so far are on OpenVMS Alpha 8.3, OS X 10.5.7 (Mac Mini), and an old PC linux distro.
I'm looking for marbles all day long.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
David Jones_21
Message 2 of 3 (344 Views)

Re: New john the ripper patch

I've refined the patch to improve performance and attached a new kit.

The first refinement is a rewrite of the exponentiation function, which had it's long-ago origin as transliterated VAX macro. I changed a complicated loop into 2 simpler loops that the compiler has an easier time optimizing. I then applied Gailly's exponent factorization trick to the hash computation. My comments, though, give a more correct analysis of the effect of the optimization (38 extended precision multiplies versus 48).
I'm looking for marbles all day long.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
vman
Message 3 of 3 (335 Views)

Re: New john the ripper patch

I made a new patch kit compatible with John the Ripper 1.7.8.  There were only minor changes.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation