Scanjet 5590 software not working? (888 Views)
Occasional Contributor
prino
Message 1 of 3 (888 Views)

Scanjet 5590 software not working?

I've recently bought a second hand 5590 to replace the 5550C that had died, or at least wasn't working correctly all the time, images, even of plain white paper, came out with tiny RBY stripes, but I digress...

The 5590 scanner came without software, the seller could not find the CDs any more, but the drivers are easily found on the HP site, which is what I did. I first installed the basic drivers, setup_basic_5590_14-5.exe, and much to my surprise, that installs a driver dating back to 2007-01-11, version 8.1.0.73. What is the logic behind this, if it's in a file indication version 14.5?

The first thing I ran after installing this driver was the "HP Print and Scan Doctor", and despite the fact that both the 5550C and 5590 were connected, switched on and were working with basic functionality using the Windows "Devices and Windows" window, the doctor would only find the connected HP Laserjet 2300 Series PS and HP Laserjet 2300 Series PCL 5, oops...

Then I installed the full software from the big 263Mb 7zip self-extracting 'setup_full_5590_14-5.exe' archive. Going through the custom installation menu, I unchecked the IRIS OCR software, but much to my surprise, the top-checkbox "Scanjet 5590 (Required)" showed a description that reads "The drivers that are required to be able to scan from your device." Wait a second, I already installed the drivers above? The software also installs in "Program Files (x86)" which indicates that it's 32-bit.

Oh well, just install the lot...

Drivers seem to remain the same, except for the addition of a thunking (from the name) DLL and on the desktop there are to additional (why can't HP ask me if I want additional icons on my desktop?) icons, "HP Copy (5590)" and "HP Scanning (5590)".

Clicking either of them will display an error pop-up, telling me

The program could not find any available destinations to which scans can be sent. Try the following steps.

- Reboot the computer [Been there, done that, no effect]
- Reinstall the HP Photosmart software that came with the device [Cannot, scanner is second-hand and came without the CDs]

And the extended error information is also extremely helpful

8,[(6,0,-2147024703)]

Any clues as to how to get the software working, so that I can finally use all capabilities of this scanner?

Thanks,

Robert

Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.10+Gb.Google thingy

Custom built AMD FX8150 - 2x2Tb - 16Gb - W7-64 Pro
My blog
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jim5434
Message 2 of 3 (578 Views)

Re: Scanjet 5590 software not working?

[ Edited ]

Scanjet 5590 Windows 7 64 bit install have a Scanjet 5590. Not HP's best effort and has always been problematic. I am moving it to a new computer with Win7-64 bit and it will not install. The install process seems to go fine but, when I try to use the scanner, I get a Windows error message: "The HP imaging device was not found. Try the following steps ..." I followed them. I uninstalled and reinstalled many times. Windows Device Manager shows it as installed. When I double click on the item, it says: So, I go to reinstall and tell it to find the drivers and get: "The best driver software for your device is already installed. Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date. HP scanjet 5590" I have used the full install I downloaded from the HP website. No go ... with multiple uninstalls/reinstalls. I went back and downloaded setup_EMC_5590_14-5 (TWAIN drivers and utilities) - that goes through the extraction and looks like it should run, but nothing happens. I can't find a way to just download a ZIP of the TWAIN drivers, so the EXE is my only option ... and it doesn't seem to work. if you have any good advice on that end, please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. This post has been moved from Abuse Reports and attached to this thread. - HP Forum moderator

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Ohiomyk
Message 3 of 3 (60 Views)

Re: Scanjet 5590 software not working?

HP update uodated my W7 64 box to this release and now the software can't find my scanner and the nice control center is gone. Thanks HP.  I'm going to dig for the original disks and hpe that fixes the problem.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation