Scanjet 5590 driver not working in Windows 8.1 (4640 Views)
Frequent Visitor
Ruud_Schobbers
Message 1 of 7 (4,640 Views)
Accepted Solution

Scanjet 5590 driver not working in Windows 8.1

Scanjet 5590 worked well with W8. After updating to W8.1 start of the software says scanner can not be found. Downloaded HP Print & Scan Doctor, which uncovers a drive problem. Displayed message after after reconnecting scanner and restart PC: the problem cannot be solved, go to HP customer support for help with the this problem.

Here I am, anybody an interesting idea how to resolve this?!

Thanks in advance for your kind help with this issue.

Ruud

Ps.: Attachments in the Dutch language, sorry!

Occasional Visitor
Andy_Hill
Message 2 of 7 (4,593 Views)

Re: Scanjet 5590 driver not working in Windows 8.1

[ Edited ]

EXACTLY  the same problem here too.

Only difference is I'm all  in GB English.

Upgraded from Windows 8.0 to 8.1 and now scanner not recognised.

Please update the driver HP!

As an absolute minimum you will make me and Ruud very happy! I've had my scanner for about 5-6yrs now, I'm very attached to it, along with my multiple HP printers... hint hint loyal customer pleading for an updated driver...

Thanks in advance HP...

P.S. Before you ask yes I did a complete uninstall and re-install of HP Imaging Device Functions 14.5 and Scanjet Drivers (setup_full_5590_14-5.exe) downloaded yesterday... The attached images are of what Win 8.1 thinks of the Driver...

Occasional Visitor
DungBeetle
Message 3 of 7 (4,530 Views)

Any resolution for this?  Having exact same problem and have not yet found a fix.

Frequent Visitor
Ruud_Schobbers
Message 4 of 7 (4,503 Views)

Problem solved for me :)

I did 2 things:

1) a clean install of W 8.1. If you google there are some ways to do it right from a W8.1 ISO.

2) I saw that on the drivers download page the basic drivers for W8.1 were announced. I decided to use the full feature drivers for W 8.0 ( version 14.5) to see if it would work as I like to have more then just the basic drivers. Link: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdHome/?sp4ts.oid=377691&spf_p....

When the program started it searched for updates, installed the drivers, asked me to connect the scanjet 5590 and the PC recognized the scanjet again?!
I'm not sure what did the trick, that's why I mention both changes I've made.

I hope this helps also for the others having the same problem.

Occasional Visitor
Andy_Hill
Message 5 of 7 (4,453 Views)

Ruud,

The clean install you did must have been on a different machine correct?

The problem we are all having is after the upgrade, but if the 14.5 drivers work on a clean 8.1 install that implies that the upgrade is leaving something in the registry that is blocking the driver from working for us poor upgraders.

If HP is listening can you provide some utility to clean our registries of any trace of the 5590 drivers so we can also re-install them and get it working again.

I know I've un-installed everything via the control panel and re-installed a freshly downloaded Win 8.1 64bit version 14.5 full install and it still didn't work...

Thanks for posting though Ruud, glad you at least have it working again, such a brilliant scanner too!

Andy

Occasional Visitor
Andy_Hill
Message 6 of 7 (4,449 Views)

DungBeetle...

You simply wont believe this... Well maybe you will, Microsoft and Logic don't always go hand in hand...

After my post I though what the hell... Downloaded this http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdHome/?sp4ts.oid=377691&spf_p....

Win 8.1 64Bit

TWAIN Drivers and Utilities

• 25 Oct 2012

File Name setup_EMC_5590_14-5.exe

I don't normally download drivers and randomly install them, but this was getting frustrating!

I didn't even un-install the Full Install Version 14.5 first, I just ran this thing and it went full screen with the VERY old looking full screen blue/green background that reminded me of Windows 3.1 not 8.1!

Not feeling like I had much to lose, it claimed it was going to install a scanner in Program Files(x86)\HP\Scanner\Corporate 1.0  or something similar, I didn't argue...

Few seconds later it claimed to have finished, then I switched on the scanner, then Win 8.1 spent 5 minutes at 100% disk usage claiming also to be installing a driver...

When the PC calmed down, I hit the scan to file button on the 5590, and to my utter and total disbelief, it scanned to a file!

Wait for it though... I then looked at the device manager hp scanjet 5590 Properties > Driver... Check out the attached image...

Looks like HP got ahead of themselves a bit in 2007 and created a Win 8.1 64bit (yeah right!) driver for the 5590. Totally unbelievable and surreal, but hey it's Windows... and hey it works again...

I will cross my fingers for you and hope you get yours going too!

Cheers

Andy

Frequent Visitor
Ruud_Schobbers
Message 7 of 7 (4,441 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Andy,

Good to see that you found a solution yourself :)
I installed on the same machine, but formatted the C-partition and reinstall everything afterwards. As I had no image at that time it took a while, but the good thing is that I did not have to go through W7 with all updates, install W8.0 and all updates, and then install W8.1. I could install W8.I directly and got rid of BSOD's that I also had once in a while. 

After this I saw on the HP website the basic drivers, and went to point nr. 2 in my reaction from beginning of this week.

It can well be that for installing the HP Scanjet 5590 only point 2 is necessary, but as I did both changes it thought it would be better to mention both in order not to disappoint people trying the same...

And yes, as my PC & my Scanjet are working extraordinary well right now I made myself an image of the C-partition as this makes life easier when something goes wrong again!! 

Kind regards,

Ruud

Ps.: I've got the same driver version for the Scanjet, from 11-1-2007...?! But let's not argue about this, it works :)

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.