Scanjet 5590 ADF paper jam (3958 Views)
Occasional Visitor
CA1345239
Message 1 of 10 (3,958 Views)

Scanjet 5590 ADF paper jam

Scanjet 5590 ADF paper jam

We have a few HP Scanjet 5590 scanners on the floor and all have the same problem. When used to scan a legal size document, the ADF will sometimes either not pick up the document or jam while processing it. It rarely works as it should. Note that this does not happen with standard thickness paper, but the sheets we have to scan are a bit thicker than normal paper. We have tens of thousands of those to scan in order to get rid of the originals. Sometimes the paper will get torn apart when being scanned and we have to tape it back together, copy it and then scan it once more, which, needless to say, is a waste of time.

Are there any settings I could change, either inside the scanner itself (wheels, feeder sensitivity, etc.) or in the application for it to better recognize legal size documents? This problem never occurs with regular (letter size) documents.

I am using the Scanjet 5590 on a Windows 98SE machine with no possibility to change the OS in the near future.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Philip Wheat
Message 2 of 10 (3,954 Views)

Re: Scanjet 5590 ADF paper jam

Did you get any response? I just got a 5590 and it jammed on the second document I put in it - I'm still trying to figure out how to clear it without sending it straight back to HP for service.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
J._6
Message 3 of 10 (3,954 Views)

Let me relate my similar problems with the 5590 scanner. I bought this scanner 1 year ago this month. It is used on a Windows XP Pro machine.
Initially, we were having quite a few problems with jams, torn invoices etc. Scanning maybe 200-300 pages per day with 5-10 rescans necessary. Granted, it is a real pain to have to dig a page out of the scanner and then scotch tape it back together. After 2 days of this I was on the verge of boxing the scanner up and taking it back to the store for a refund. Then something happened which to this day baffles me. It stopped eating paper all of a sudden and rarely does it jam today. Maybe it just needed to break itself in. I don't know, but it works like a trooper now and we would not swap it out for anything else. Go figure.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Olivier Hubert_1
Message 4 of 10 (3,954 Views)

We have used the 5590 for a good number of months now and it never stopped jamming. The employee in charge of the scanning process was very patient since he was able to scan 34000+ documents with an average of one jam per 20-25 documents. I phoned HP Support and they sent me another ADF but that did nothing to solve the problem. In the end, it was either buy a new scanner or get used to this one. Since I was not the person making the decision, the Scanjet 5590 stayed.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
CA1371519
Message 5 of 10 (3,954 Views)

I haven't figured out how to clear the ADF jam. Anyone got a URL for the procedure or manual?
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Mandokar Vijay
Message 6 of 10 (3,956 Views)

Hi,

The following is the link where you can find the stps to clean, clearapdata123paper jams and trobuleshoot the issue regarding with the ADF for your 5590 scanner also.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bps05641&dlc=en〈=en

Regards

Vijay Mandokar
Please use plain text.
Advisor
CATHIE CURRIE
Message 7 of 10 (3,954 Views)

I need to know how to clear the ADF's paperpath AFTER the paper begins to enter the far-left area where it curls down into the ADF. The paper is picked-up properly, but one side of the ADF paperpath seems to be obstructed --that side stops moving, so the paper skews, and then it jams.

I have looked at the link provided in one of the replies -- it does not say how to clear the paperpath. I have always owned hp printers, and they all have from time to time had a paper jam that required clearing the paperpath -- instructions were available -- and they all worked perfectly afterward. I am sure that if I could open up the paperpath on the ADF I will find something in it that can be removed. I hope someone knows how to gain access to the paperpath.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Bruce Fuller
Message 8 of 10 (3,954 Views)

One thing we found was that the horizontal green plastic paper guide inside the ADF can be askew.
It has two tabs. If one side is not clicked into place, the other side has a narrower opening. On our scanner, it was shredding one side of the paper and jamming.
We pressed down on the tab on the side that was higher up, heard it click onto place, and the opening, while not perfectly level, at least had a larger opening on the side that had been shredding the paper.
We tested a few pages and they went through without a problem.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Treborxx7
Message 9 of 10 (1,078 Views)

Re: Scantest 5590 ADF paper jam

[ Edited ]

Mandokar Vijay wrote:

Hi,

The following is the link where you can find the stps to clean, clearapdata123paper jams and trobuleshoot the issue regarding with the ADF for your 5590 scanner also.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bps05641&dlc=en〈=en

Regards

Vijay Mandokar

follow that STUPID link

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
jurokos
Message 10 of 10 (723 Views)

Re: Scantest 5590 ADF paper jam

How I cleared the paper jam on the HP Scanjet 5590:

Raise the lid on the flat bed scanner.

Look at the lid on the edge near the hingesYou will see open gears thereYou probably will also see the edge of your paper curled up in thereI used my fingernails to gently push the paper up toward the rollersTry to keep it flatThen manually move the gears which ever way they will move

Mine only moved a little bit but when I closed the lid I was then able to firmly grab the paper and with a slow gentle pull the paper came right outCheck to see that there are no pieces missingMine had the corner ripped offI was able to see it from the top and gently coax it out.

Good luck with yours.  

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation