Reopen: HP Scanjet G4050 - Scanning Problems (393 Views)
Frequent Visitor
MartinS-hp
Message 1 of 4 (393 Views)

Reopen: HP Scanjet G4050 - Scanning Problems

[ Edited ]

Hey, I have a weird and a bit hard to describe problem with the scanner. (FYI Model: FCLSD-0605, OS: Win7 x86 sp1)

On startup it seems everything is fine, scanner seems to warmup and move to right position. But then trying to scan (picture or negativ) it often just hangs up. Well, sometimes after fresh start scanning a picture works, 1-2 times (but always takes ages either we tried to set to immediate warmup and fast scan settings). Also if you choose to scan negatives it actually scans a picture. If you're lucky and it scans till end and shows picture and you can select something from menue: scann negative/diafilm (TMA) is grayed out.

We already tried to: - shutdown everything, disconnect all for 60 sec and reconnect/retry. - Reinstall software (while we tried full_G4000 series v9 or 8.1? and actuall G4050 v14.5 software). - Run the Print and Scan Doctor. (Finds Scanner, but as any other scan it hangs up during first scan test - you may find protocoll attached) - EventViewer and DeviceManager don't show any errors.

What i din't try yet is http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=at&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=... as it is a bit longer procedure and i somehove have the feeling it isn't usb related while i hope it isn't a hardware failure. Yet any tipps it could be/i could try?

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
MartinS-hp
Message 2 of 4 (332 Views)

Re: HP Scanjet G4050 - Scanning Problems

[ Edited ]

Okay, tried the link posted above but no luck (well i couldn't delete HKEY_LM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\VID_0000&PID_0000 and "Step Six: #11 wasn't possible as no such entry exists).

We also tried other versions we found: HP-setup_full_G4000_13.0 and installer_hp_scanjet_g4050_photo_scanner_full_feature_software_and_driver_13_0_for_windows_7_32-bit_English. CCleaner also runs through several times. sfc /scannow doesn't show errors. And as i said EventViewer doesn't show any "real" errors at all. Anyone got an idea?

EDIT: SOLVED!! I don't know exactly how we got it - it was with setup_full_G4050_14-5 and parts of HP-setup_full_G4000_13.0 and some other tweaks. So it it's not working always but mostly. One Time the "Print and Scan Doctor" run through completely without errors - so i guess good enough?

EDIT2: Well some problems still exist often enough a scan hangs up, and some error pops up (see Attach).

No one got an idea? I mean it's not only me: Link1, Link2, Link3, Link4, ... (just the first entries of .... many and that's just for G4050 while other scanners with same software have the same problem. Not to mention this entries in this forum).

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
frankgorshin
Message 3 of 4 (287 Views)

Exact same error message. Problem is: scanner does not use TWAIN software - using HP software instead and it is bugged out. I spent two hours on the phone with tech support and they barely were able to reload the driver I could have clicked on to begin with. In short, they are giving a runaround. They have no product that will cure this problem! The scanner is a beauty - but the software is junk - unless you have an entire weekend until your '80386 computer' equivalent loads data. A previous computer I owned (Win 98) had an Epson scanner with TWAIN software - never a problem - except the slide/transparency add-on did not work - therefore I 'upgraded' to the HP G4050 - only to find that that basic task is out of the price range of HP marketing! You, me, and everyone who bought one got suckered!

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
MartinS-hp
Message 4 of 4 (270 Views)

Link5, Link6 of many ....

@frankgorshin You're so right. Nearly any other company managed to get working drivers for win vista/7 but even after all these years hp doesn't. So, well ... message learned - never buy s.t. from hp again.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation