Multiple scans: get first scan only (1058 Views)
Occasional Advisor
bilglas
Message 1 of 15 (1,058 Views)
Accepted Solution

Multiple scans: get first scan only

Scanjet G4050. When I finish a scan, it gives me the option to "SCAN" more or be "DONE" ... here is what happens if I hit the "SCAN" button: The first scan is already finished, and I scan a second item. When IT is done, I click "DONE" ... the result is, the FIRST scan is in the destination folder (in my case, the Desktop) as it should be, but the second (or any subsequent) scans just never show up. The scanning process DOES occur, but no file is created.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

(Note: The option to overwrite files with the same name is set so it will NOT do that ... so that's not the answer.)

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 2 of 15 (1,055 Views)

Re: Multiple scans: get first scan only

>but the second (or any subsequent) scans just never show up.

I assume you're not scanning to PDF nor TIFF where all of the scans are in the same file?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
bilglas
Message 3 of 15 (1,050 Views)

I am scanning everything as 300ppi TIF files, and the destination is my desktop.

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 4 of 15 (1,044 Views)

>I am scanning everything as 300ppi TIF files

Are the multiple scans in the same file?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
bilglas
Message 5 of 15 (1,042 Views)

Hate to seem dense, but I'm really not sure what that question means.

This is the clearest way I know to describe this: I have three 8x10 photos I want to scan. My defaults are set so that the Desktop is the destination, and the scans will be saved as 300ppi TIF files, and they'll be numbered scan001.tif, scan002.tif, scan003.tif, etc.

I scan the first one. When the scan is complete, I am asked whether I want to SCAN more, or if I'm DONE. I click SCAN.

I put the second image in the scanner, and scan it, just like the first one. When it's done, same thing ... I hit SCAN and scan a third photo.

After the third one is done, instead of hitting SCAN, I hit DONE. At that time, and not before that, the FIRST scanned image will appear on the desktop ... scan001.tif ... and that is IT. The other two scans did not result in a file being saved. No scan002.tif or scan003.tif anywhere.

Obvious question: Did I hit F5 to REFRESH my Desktop, to see if scan002, scan003, etc. would appear? Yes, I have. They ain't there.

To be super-clear, nothing here refers to scanning multiple images at the same time.

Did that answer your question? Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 6 of 15 (1,037 Views)

>nothing here refers to scanning multiple images at the same time.

I'm asking if there are multiple scans in scan001.tif.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
bilglas
Message 7 of 15 (1,034 Views)

Since I do not even know what "multiple scans in scan001.tif" even MEANS, let's say NO.

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 8 of 15 (1,022 Views)

>Since I do not even know what "multiple scans in scan001.tif" even MEANS

I'll try again.  My MFP allows me to use the ADF to scan a multi page document into one PDF or TIF file.  So when you open scan001.tif, what do you see?  The first image or all of them?

This "Scan" or "Done" dialog also happens when scanning from my PSC 2410.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
bilglas
Message 9 of 15 (1,021 Views)

Okay ... I will try again, too:

I AM USING A HEWLETT-PACKARD G4050 SCANNER.

It is NOT an MFP. It does not HAVE an ADF. There is nothing in the User's Manual of the G4050 that would suggest that it can scan multiple images into one TIF file. If that is something your MFP can do, I am genuinely happy for you ... but I'm using a G4050, where this is not an option.

I should add that the situation I've described above is a MALFUNCTION of some sort ... it USED to work correctly ... and now it doesn't, anymore.

And it is a G4050.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ashwiz
Message 10 of 15 (919 Views)

A TIF contains multiple pages. So if you scan 30 pages, you will have only 1 file (scan001.tif), which has 30 pages, like a pdf.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
bilglas
Message 11 of 15 (914 Views)

If that is true, ashwiz, then I'm doing something very wrong. When I open scan001.tif in Photoshop, all I see is that FIRST scan, on the single Background layer ... subsequent scans simply do not exist, as far as I can see. Is there some method for viewing these multiple pages that Photoshop and I are unaware of?

My admittedly hazy memory is that, when I first got this scanner, scanning multiple images resulted (automatically) in scan001.tif, scan002.tif, scan003.tif, etc.

Boy, I would LOVE to solve this ... grateful for your help. Anything you can think of that I'm doing wrong?

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 12 of 15 (908 Views)

>A TIF contains multiple pages.

(Same with PDF files.)  I gave up on this point when bilglas said it used to work.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
bilglas
Message 13 of 15 (896 Views)

Well, my mind is now totally blown. I consider myself a fairly knowledgeable geek, but I have just NOW, for the very first time, learned about this "multi-page TIF" phenomenon. It seems inconceivable to me that Photoshop doesn't recognize this TIF property ... I assumed that, if Photoshop didn't recognize multiple pages, there must not BE such a thing. Plus, I'd never HEARD of it, until just now. Whoa ... reality check...........

Now I'm going to try to find a safe utility, hopefully freeware, that can split these. Any suggestions?

This is like finding out that the Beatles released one more album in 1973......

If my previous contributions to this thread sounded a little "attitude-heavy" ... I do sincerely apologize.

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 14 of 15 (853 Views)

>learned about this "multi-page TIF" phenomenon.

Well my scanner had options for tif and multipage tif.

>if Photoshop didn't recognize multiple pages, there must not BE such a thing.

You didn't believe me?  ;-)

I have one in front of me.  But MS paint and a browser can only see one page.

MS Office Document Imaging and Windows Picture and Fax viewer can see all of the pages.

>If my previous contributions to this thread sounded a little "attitude-heavy" ... I do sincerely apologize

You can always make it up by clicking on the Kudos stars.  :-)

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
bilglas
Message 15 of 15 (847 Views)

No, I didn't believe you, Dennis; I thought you were nuts. My bad. But seriously, man, you  have to admit that TIF files having a feature that Photoshop doesn't recognize sorta borders on the implausible, don'tcha think?

Best program I've found (after some exhaustive research) to deal with multiple pages: IrfanView.

Again, my apologies and great thanks. I will never doubt you again!

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation