Missing HP Solution Center in Windows 7 for HP Scanjet G4050 (1495 Views)
Occasional Advisor
ITSKEVN
Message 1 of 17 (1,495 Views)

Missing HP Solution Center in Windows 7 for HP Scanjet G4050

I just purchased an HP Scanjet G4050, but I can't "scan to file (pdf)."  After some investigating, I found out I am missing components, specifically the HP Solution Center.  I've tried downloading directly from the HP website, but it is not installing correctly.  Something is causing a problem and I can't solve it.  I'm running a new computer that has Windows 7 (64 bit), and some files were transferred from my old computer, which ran on Windows XP, and I had an old scanner that no longer works (3500C).  The scanner works and I can scan images into a jpg, but I am missing other options.

Can someone help me install/ fix the missing HP Solution Center?

HP Pro
paolo25
Message 2 of 17 (1,358 Views)

Re: Missing HP Solution Center in Windows 7 for HP Scanjet G4050

With the release of the Windows 7 version of the software the G4050 scanner does not have Solution Center any more.  That does not mean that the functionality is gone.  You can now create shortcuts in the hp scanning application and a shortcut can easily be created to scan to a PDF file.

I hope this helps.

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Pro
Ganeshv
Message 3 of 17 (1,355 Views)

Hello Please download the full software package from HP website Link: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15... First uninstall the scanner software and reboot the PC without connecting sub cable then download the software from above link and install the software while installation it will ask to connect the usb cable then connect and scanner will get initialised and software gets installed . now you will find all the required options to scan. I work for HP. Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you. Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Occasional Advisor
ITSKEVN
Message 4 of 17 (1,347 Views)

- How do you create a shortcut to create a pdf when scanning?  That is my issue.  I can only seem to save scanned images as a .jpg, etc., then I have to go into Photoshop to convert it to .pdf, then I have to merge them into one file.  It's too much!!!

Occasional Advisor
priyankagadekar
Message 5 of 17 (1,338 Views)

Hi ,

To scan multiple pages as PDF document, scan one page and then click on add page after you place the second page for scanning continue adding page till you have scanned all the pages and then click on save.

It will be saved as one document.

Thank you for choosing HP !!!!

HP Pro
Jan_Y
Message 6 of 17 (1,334 Views)

Hi.  Do you have the desktop icon called, HP Scanning?  If you double click on this icon you will get a screen that has different shortcuts you can use.  Your scanner should have a default PDF shortcut already there.  If not, you can create one.

If the desktop icon is not there, look in your Start menu Start->All Programs->HP->Scanjet->G4050->HP Scanning. 

I added a screen shot of the HP Scanning Window.

As a side note, notice the menu items in this dialog.  Under Options, you will find some of the settings you used to see in the Solution Center.

I work for HP
Occasional Advisor
ITSKEVN
Message 7 of 17 (1,325 Views)

[ Edited ]

- That may be the big problem that I can't resolve.  I don't have "HP Scanning."  All I have is an icon for "HP Scanjet scanner."  I've attached a screenshot picture of the window that opens up.  This is not what I should have.  Without someone looking at why I'm missing this feature/ program on my computer, I have been unable to successfully resolve the issue myself.  I have deleted and re-installed the software/ driver, but it hasn't solved the problem.

Occasional Advisor
ITSKEVN
Message 8 of 17 (1,321 Views)

[ Edited ]

priyankagadekar - That's part of the problem.  I don't have the "add page" feature, and I can't save it as a pdf.  All I have is an icon on my desktop for "HP Scanjet scanner."  And it has very limited abilities!  I need a tech expert to take a look at my computer, because I am unable to solve the problem.  I have tried to delete and re-install the software/ driver mulitple times, and it's not installing correctly.

I've attached a screenshot picture of what the window that pops up, and, as you can see, it's not able to to do everything.  Something is missing.

HP Pro
Jan_Y
Message 9 of 17 (1,304 Views)

ITSKEVN, I am not seeing your attachment.  Can you try to attach the screenshot again? 

I work for HP
Occasional Advisor
ITSKEVN
Message 10 of 17 (1,291 Views)

Here is the screenshot again.  Don't know why it didn't attach before...

ScreenHunter_9MAY2013.png

HP Pro
Jan_Y
Message 11 of 17 (1,275 Views)

Thanks for attaching the screenshot.  I can see it now.   This software is Microsoft's default scanning software, not the software that came with the scanner.  I have a bunch of questions for you.  Then we can figure out how best to help you.

1.  Are you using the CD that came with the scanner or using software downloaded from the Web?

2.  What operating system are you using? 

3.  Do you have any other HP printers or scanners installed on your system? 

4.  Do you get any errors when you install the software?  Did you check the start menu to see if the software is installed and located there for you to launch?

The software on the web is located at:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3236374...

I work for HP
Occasional Advisor
ITSKEVN
Message 12 of 17 (1,272 Views)

1.  I have downloaded from both the CD that came with the scanner AND directly from the HP website (full feature software and driver).  Running a diagnostic check several months ago, it says there is a problem with the front panel software.

2.  Windows 7 (64 bit)

3.  I have an HP Laserjet 5P printer, that works fine.  This is also a new computer, which files were transferred from my old computer, which ran Windows XP, and I had an old scanner that no longer worked - 3500C.  I am wondering if there is something that got transferred from that, that is interfering with everything correctly being downloaded for the G4050, or causing a problem with the G4050 program from running correctly.

4.  Running a diagnostic check several months ago, it says there is a problem with the front panel software.  Thus, the software is not installed correctly, and I cannot locate it on my computer.

HP Pro
Jan_Y
Message 13 of 17 (1,265 Views)

Ok, that better explains your situation.  I have asked a contact of mine for some information for you that you can try.  Hopefully, this information will help in the case that something was transferred over that is interfering in your install. 

I work for HP
Occasional Advisor
ITSKEVN
Message 14 of 17 (1,263 Views)

Great!  I'll wait to hear back from you...

HP Pro
paolo25
Message 15 of 17 (1,261 Views)

It seems that the installer has gotten very confused and is not installing the software correctly even though it is not giving any error messages.  I have heard of other people encountering this kind of problem.  I expect you do not even see C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqkygrp.exe on your computer, which is the executable that has these shortcuts and does what you are looking for.

HP has published a couple of documents to try to scrub the system and get it into a state where the installation can completely correctly.  The first one refers to a problem with an anti-virus software called Quick Heal but the steps are generally applicable and the advice about anti-virus software can be used for any application:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=...

The second document is just a general document about things that can be attempted when there are these kinds of connectivity problems:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01268913&jumpi...

Hope that gets you where you need to be.

Occasional Visitor
ljhorner
Message 16 of 17 (1,188 Views)

Will this also work for an HP Scanjet 4070 which I can't get my computer to see?

HP Pro
paolo25
Message 17 of 17 (1,181 Views)

Hi ljhorner,

It depends on what problem you are seeing but the documents I provided apply generally to many HP scanner models.  You can try out the suggestions provided and you can also share with us some details of the problems you are having to see if there are other suggestions.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.