Re: Log on issues-Smart Card Enabled ScanJet 8500 (982 Views)
Advisor
dubs2233
Message 1 of 12 (1,515 Views)

Log on issues-Smart Card Enabled ScanJet 8500

[ Edited ]

Enabled the CAC Login Feature (aka Smart Cards) so that the scanner complies with the DoD STIG for printers. Im using the HP smart card readers as directed by HP documentation. I've had several end users test it out and about 1/2 the users can't log in. (upon further investigation each of these users all have the same brand/version of CAC card as well, so its one particular version of CAC that does not work). Anyone know the work around for this issue?  The CAC that will not allow uses to log on is a Gemalto. Other brand/versions of CACs are working just fine and authenicate the user on the domain.

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Multifunction and All-in-One to Scanners - Hp Forum Moderator

Advisor
dubs2233
Message 2 of 12 (1,513 Views)

Re: CAC/Smart Card Enabled ScanJet 8500

[ Edited ]

I have two of these devices on the network and both have the same issue where the one version of CAC card will not work; Firmware was updated on both of the 8500s. The Windows logon feature works so all users can log on w/ windows credentials. Its just one particular brand of CAC card that doesn't work.

Occasional Visitor
Micheal63
Message 3 of 12 (1,387 Views)

So, we are setting up a scanjet 8500 on our network and need to CAC/Smart Card enable it.  I have not found out any info on how to exactly do that and would love to have some sort of instructions to get this done.  We have the DISA STIG for printers but no step by step help to get our network compliant.  Assistance will be appreciated.

Occasional Visitor
mwf123
Message 4 of 12 (1,255 Views)

Micheal63 - Did you ever get a step-by-step solution to this? I'm in the same boat.

Micheal63 wrote:

So, we are setting up a scanjet 8500 on our network and need to CAC/Smart Card enable it.  I have not found out any info on how to exactly do that and would love to have some sort of instructions to get this done.  We have the DISA STIG for printers but no step by step help to get our network compliant.  Assistance will be appreciated.

HP Pro
pdill
Message 5 of 12 (1,115 Views)

for tools, instructional videos and guides as well as latest tested DoD firmware, go to the HP CAC Portal!

https://ftp.usa.hp.com

user: usgovsc

pwd: Fed2013!

(note:  pwd changes semi-annually by moving up a consecutive number. Next pwd would be Fed2014! and so on)

"I work for HP. The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP. "
HP Pro
pdill
Message 6 of 12 (1,108 Views)

Re: Log on issues-Smart Card Enabled ScanJet 8500

ensure you have latest DoD tested firmware.

"I work for HP. The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP. "
Occasional Visitor
jarroyoaf
Message 7 of 12 (985 Views)

So has anyone figured this out? I'm still have issues getting my HP 8500 fn1 CAC enabled. Any help?

HP Pro
pdill
Message 8 of 12 (982 Views)

what exactly is your issue?  Where are you located? (that determines much of the info you enter)

Did you go out to the cac portal and view the config guide?

Occasional Visitor
jarroyoaf
Message 9 of 12 (982 Views)

Occasional Visitor
jarroyoaf
Message 10 of 12 (979 Views)

I tried the ftp link but no password would work. i finally found a link that took me straight in without having to enter the password.

ftp://usgovsc:Fed2013!@ftp.usa.hp.com

HP Pro
pdill
Message 11 of 12 (977 Views)

yes, that is the other method,  NOTE same username and password are built into that link. Either way, as long as you can get into it. 

Advisor
dubs2233
Message 12 of 12 (884 Views)

Very important to download the firmware from the FTP site you mention.

download all of the following to a directory on your PC:

FW_Update_13.3_9100.vbs

hpnfp.exe

Download the *.rfu FW update fo reach machine

remove_cacagent.pjl

usgovt_auth_agent_cac*.pjl

Then make sure the remote firmware update on the target machine you wish to update is "enabled". 

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.