HPShortcutManager causing CPU spikes on OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (13613 Views)
Occasional Contributor
surphaze
Message 1 of 9 (13,613 Views)

HPShortcutManager causing CPU spikes on OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Hi, 

had this with 10.6.3 and now again with 10.6.4. 

Sometimes the process "HPShortcutManager" freaks out causing CPU spikes of about 95% usage about every 2 seconds. When I quit it, it starts itself again and sometimes still spikes with around 10% CPU load. After second restart, it calms down. 

Not good for a background deamon. What can I do about this? 

Thanks and best, 

Veit

Occasional Contributor
surphaze
Message 2 of 9 (13,523 Views)

Re: HPShortcutManager causing CPU spikes on OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

[ Edited ]

This is still an issue. And not a minor one.

This occurs several times per day sometimes and it completely slows down my computer until I figure out that it's the **bleep** shortcut manager again and quit it via Activity Monitor. 

When I'm working on something CPU-demanding, I have to quit the manager as a precaution and I also quit the HPshortcutmanager Startup because otherwise it would immediately start the manager again. What is that anyway, I don't understand why one would need a process that runs in the background just to start another process. ThereÄs a nice thing called LaunchDemon that comes with OS X. 

Dear HP developers, please use OS-supported frameworks!

Anyway, I just had to quit the manager again. This is completely unacceptable. I don't even see an easy way to tell the HP drivers NOT to start the shortcutmanager automatically, I'd obviously have to manually delete the shortcutmanager apps...? I can live without the buttons but I wanna use my scanner and I can not live with a background process going nuts every few hours. As said: unaccaptable. 

Sorry, HP, but this is a weak performance. Please improve.

Thanks and best, 

V

Frequent Collector
Plexyglazz
Message 3 of 9 (12,148 Views)

Re: HPShortcutManager causing CPU spikes on OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard + Workaround

Scanjet HP G4050 | Mac OS X 10.6.8 | MacBook 4,1 | HP Scan.app 2.4.4 | Performance Issue + Workaround

With the latest drivers (HP Scan.app 2.4.4) under 10.6.8 this problem is still an issue.

On my MacBook it drastically degrades performance and shortens battery-life with about ONE HOUR!

Does not work

• Removing the PreferencePane has no effect
  • (Repeatedly) Starting and quitting the HP Scan.app has no effect.
    * After restarting, HPShortcutManager starts using more and more CPU over time, switching between 0% and 2-3% after restart and quickly moving up to switching between 0% and  27%.
  • (Repeatedly) Quitting HPShortcutManager via Activity Monitor has no effect

Workaround

• Quitting HPShortcutManagerStartUp via Activity Monitor does have effect and stops the relaunch of HPShortcutManager.

HP, please respond and address this issue – and fix this before the original post celebrates its second birthday.

Perpetual student, perfecting the arts of #ProperCustomerFeedback and #ContentStrategy.
Frequent Collector
Plexyglazz
Message 4 of 9 (12,146 Views)

[ Edited ]

surphaze wrote:

I don't understand why one would need a process that runs in the background just to start another process. ThereÄs a nice thing called LaunchDemon that comes with OS X. 

Dear HP developers, please use OS-supported frameworks! 

In HP's defence: They do use the Apple-supplied frameworks (such as Automator.framework).

But I cannot tell if they are using them correctly.

I have noticed however, that the number of SentMsgs vs RcvdMsgs is about two (2) to one (1). Unable to determine cause.

Perpetual student, perfecting the arts of #ProperCustomerFeedback and #ContentStrategy.
Frequent Collector
Plexyglazz
Message 5 of 9 (12,138 Views)

A solution can be found here: OS X scanner driver maxes CPU

Open: Activity Monitor

Quit: HPShortcutManagerStartup and HPShortcutManager

Open: Finder

Go to: /Library/Application Support/Hewlett-Packard/

Remove: HPShortcutManagerStartup

This should stop HPShortcutManager from automatically starting up next time you reboot.

I have also removed HPShortcutManager just to be sure — not a problem because I don't use the shortcut buttons.

Occasional Visitor
Iporã
Message 6 of 9 (12,068 Views)

Thanks a lot man, quitting that bull**bleep** is saving 2 hours of my MacBook Pro 13'' life. Sorry for the words, but this is really horrible software...

It got up from 2h40min to 5h10min of battery life now. Thanks thanks thaks!!! I was thinking I was missusing my battery, and this started when I installed my moms printer/scanner. I am pretty happy now!!

Occasional Visitor
macbookpro17
Message 7 of 9 (9,982 Views)

I recently installed LION and have the same problem - but the hpshortcutmanager is NOT in the Library. If I quit it using Activity Monitor it'll stop it for a moment then start right up. Seems to have started when I connected my HP 2550 to my computer. I'm afraid a damage, much less battery life - my computer's 5 years old. 

Frequent Collector
Plexyglazz
Message 8 of 9 (9,978 Views)

You have to look in the main library, you won't find the applicaton in the library in your user-folder.

Main library = /Library
User library = ~/Library

Hope this helps
Occasional Visitor
talk2bks
Message 9 of 9 (9,460 Views)

So we are going on two years with no fix.

I've decided to uninstall and buy something else (non-hp of course). I edit videos all day and this shortcut manager is so not worth the 2 scans I do a year.

Bye HP. 

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.