HP ScanJet 5590 - Installation Issue(s) on Windows 7 64 bit (982 Views)
Occasional Collector
insink71
Message 1 of 1 (982 Views)

HP ScanJet 5590 - Installation Issue(s) on Windows 7 64 bit

[ Edited ]

Hello.

I recently upgraded my computer [got rid of some old spin-ups and upgraded to ssd, upgraded memory and switched from Win 7 32 bit to Win 7 64 bit).  I am installing stuff more or less as needed at work, but yesterday, I was asked to scan a document and email it to someone.  No problem I thought; the scanjet worked nicely on Win 7 32 bit.  So I headed over to the official drivers site for the scanjet 5590 and downloaded all the drivers.  This is where my struggle begins...

So thinking that the full featured driver might handle the whole shooting match, I tried installing it first.  It seemed to install fine (except it strangely never exits the installer [even when all the check marks are completed]); however, [even after reboot] never recognized the scanjet 5590.  Weird I thought.. So I tried the standalone driver and the twain/isis install.. Again seemed to install fine, but no scanjet showing up on my hardware list [in Device Manager].  So, then I did the little internet dance and read some support forums.

Deinstalled all the above referenced and followed the advice of the first thread I read.  "Hey man.  You gotta right-click the setup file and "Run as Administrator""  Ok. No problem.  Reinstalled them that way; still don't recognize the device [which is connected via USB].  Secondly, read a little more and found "Hey man.  You gotta drop to Safe Mode and then run the installation."  Welp tried that too and still no love [albeit I did get slightly different results.  It downloaded some 'HP Installation Error - Windows 7' document/program upon conclusion [that oddly seemed to be for printers not scanjets].  Lastly I read where someone had suggested loading up an older driver [to get it working] and then bring it forward [or reinstall the newer driver].  Good advice, but upon following that foxhole I found the [older] drivers were not even Windows 7 64 bit compatible.

Ultimately, at the end of the day I am left with the same end result... my scanner doesn't work and doesn't seem to be recognized.  When I start a scan program [such as HP Imaging] it gives me the following message:  "8, [(1, 0, -1)]"   Maybe that will mean more to you guys than to me.  I am sitting at my desk surrounded by HP (the cpu is a workstation xw8600, the printer is an old deskjet 930c and this scanner in question [the 5590] and I even tinker on a HP Touchpad after work); so, please help me resolve this and not pull any more hair out.   Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Rob

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.