HP 3380 Scanner Error Power On/Off (3531 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Debb Southard
Message 1 of 5 (3,531 Views)

HP 3380 Scanner Error Power On/Off

What do I do with this error? Do I need to buy a new unit??
Trusted Contributor
QueenOfMulti
Message 2 of 5 (3,531 Views)

Re: HP 3380 Scanner Error Power On/Off

The most common scanner hardware error messages are:

· â Scanner error power off power on,â

· â Scanner bulb warming upâ (where the printer hangs on this message)

· â Scanner error __â

Causes
Scanner hardware errors are caused by

Insufficient power
Out-of-date firmware
Defective scanner

Troubleshooting::

#1Change power source. Remove printer from power bar or surge protector and plug into different outlet. Turn on and see if the printer comes up to ready. If it does, proceed to Step 2. *******If it remains in an error state, proceed to STEP 3.*********

#2Check the firmware
Print a configuration report. (Press Menu, or Menu/Enter, and use an arrow key to find Reports > Config Report). On the AEC units, the firmware datecode can be accessed through the secondary service menu. Press MENU plus the number 2, then use an arrow key to find â Show FW version.â Press enter to see the datecode. Up-to-date firmware dates are as follows:

3380: 20040802

If the firmware is out of date, it should be updated provided the printer is connected to a computer. The customer should be directed to the Software and driver downloads section on http://www.hp.com/. Select the appropriate operating system, and explain that the installation process is described under the firmware link.

#3Scanner bulb walkout. If unable to check the firmware, or if updating it does not fix the problem, do a scanner bulb walkout.
Turn off the printer
Turn on, and let scanner bulb move one inch. Turn off.
Repeat this process 3-4 more times.
Leave on and see if printer returns to Ready/Auto. If so, update the firmware as per Step 2.
If it remains in an error state, proceed to Step 4.

#4Restore defaults. If the preceding steps do not fix the problem, try restoring defaults. Access this button from the printer menu, as follows:
Press Menu or Menu/Enter
Use the left arrow key to find Service. Press Menu or Menu/Enter.
Use either arrow key to find Restore Defaults. Press Menu or Menu/Enter.
If the printer returns to ready, update the firmware as per Step 2.
Otherwise, proceed to Step 5.

#5Hard Reset (NVRAM). .
Disconnect all cords from the printer (power, fax, USB/parallel, ethernet)
Hold down Enter (on older models, â Menu/Enterâ ) and â *â together.
While holding both keys, plug in the power cord.
Wait until the display reads â Permanent Storage Initâ then let go the keys (about 30 seconds)
The printer will cycle through changes, during which the lights will flash. On older models, set Language and Country.
If the printer returns to Ready, go back to Step 2 and update the firmware

If the printer can be brought back to ready, prove functionality with the customer:
Make a copy. If succcessful, make several copies, or send a fax. Do a soft reset. If the printer returns to Ready each time, then
Reconnect all cables and test again.
If unable to make the printer work, the printer needs to be services for the scanner assaembly
Trusted Contributor
QueenOfMulti
Message 3 of 5 (3,531 Views)

Sorry for the hard reset its the buttons
Enter and *
Occasional Visitor
Amer Mohamed
Message 4 of 5 (3,531 Views)

I have 2 units with the exact same problem, I got multiple quotes to repair them for around $230 each + labor, then a local shop told me to bring them in (The Computer Depot) in Bakersfield,CA , they fixed both of them for $70. They said the scanner sensor was covered with paper dust and all it needed was cleaning with a Q-TIP.

I was suspicious at first, I have been using both in a commercial office with no problems for over a week.
Occasional Visitor
terrellws
Message 5 of 5 (2,425 Views)

How do I fix this problem?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.