Capshare 920 (171 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Freddy Galarraga
Message 1 of 12 (171 Views)
Accepted Solution

Capshare 920

I have been using a Capshare 920 on a weekly basis for the past 4 years.

My capshare will not scan anymore. When capshare is turn on, it will go through the start up screen without a problem, one can use the tools command, help command, etc.

When the scan start button located on the back of the unit is depress, the light at the bottom of the appliance will flash and then the orange LED light on front of the appliance will remain lit. The scanner will not scan, will not respond to any other command and the only other result is to turn it off.

I did a full reset on the appliance and still does not work.

Has the life on the internal lamp in the scanner reach its end?

What do you think is the problem?

Need help. This is one of the greatest tools I have ever had and no one out there makes anything close to it.

Can this be repaired?

Thanks,

Freddy Galarraga
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
MichaelJRuff
Message 2 of 12 (171 Views)

Re: Capshare 920

Hello Freddy

From your description the lamp of your problem, I am afraid that the lamp has failed. HP no longer support the capshare 920.

regards Michael
If it not broken, don't repair it
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Phil Jensen_2
Message 3 of 12 (171 Views)

Freddy,
It sounds like the image processing chip "Paco" on your Capshare has gone belly-up (I was the project manager for Paco). It's unlikely that you can get that repaired as there weren't any spares at the end of the Capshare project. I think e-bay is probably your best bet.
Phil
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rene_11
Message 4 of 12 (171 Views)

Hi
I am afraid I must list similarly bad news as Freddy Galarraga did (where are you from ?).
My Capshare 920 also gave up the sanning about 10 days ago and your observations are precisely the same as mine. I did manage to download anything that was left in the memory, so that part still works.
My additional questions to Phil Jensen would be:
is it really the paco chip that gave out since the downloading still works }
is the image capturing, storing and then downloading done by the chip or are there other parts that could be the problem ?
is there really no other way to repair the Capshare, in or outside the US ?

I the equipment daily and for almost 4 years. That is an excellent performance. Yet I have a calculator which is 20 years old and has NO BURNOUT so cannot really understand why the chip should have gone bad.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Phil Jensen_2
Message 5 of 12 (171 Views)

> 1
> is it really the paco chip that gave out
> since the downloading still works }

Without looking at the capshare it is difficult to know, but Paco would be a prime suspect. The Paco chip is actually made up of 3 different processors. One handles capture and the other two handle everything else. It sounds like the front end of the Paco went bad.

> 2
> is the image capturing, storing and then > downloading done by the chip or are there > other parts that could be the problem ?

Pretty much everything is built into the Paco.

> 3
> is there really no other way to repair
> the Capshare, in or outside the US ?

I have heard that there are places that will fix things like broken power switches and such, but I'm certain that nobody has access to the main PC board which contains the Paco chip. We used up all that we made.

> I the equipment daily and for almost 4
> years. That is an excellent performance.
> Yet I have a calculator which is 20 years
> old and has NO BURNOUT so cannot really
> understand why the chip should have gone
> bad.

All in all Capshare has done fairly well reliability wise. 4 years is really quite a while for electronic devices. If HP had kept going with the Capshare then failure information could have been analyzed to improve the reliability but alas it wasn't to be. Unfortunately the Capshare is probably one of the last original things the HP will do since they now seem happy to buy things from others and resell them (ie the iPod etc).
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rene_11
Message 6 of 12 (171 Views)

Phil, thank you for the reply. I just cannot give up quite yet. I shall open the device once I found the correct screw-driver (out of dozens and dozens of tools none will work, must be a 8 or 9 size T s.d.
I want to see if I can spot anything. It may be naive but if there are no moving parts in the capshare and the lights are supposedly still good, then what caused the chip to brakeUnfortunately I am not an engeneer but is there anything that a layman could detect?
thanks, RenÃ
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Brett Ferguson
Message 7 of 12 (171 Views)

Why would you discontinue what appears to be an AMAZINGLY popular product? And what alternatives are out there? My wife is a paralegal and needs a portable scanner for huge bound volumes.

Thanks,
Brett Ferguson
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mike Naylor
Message 8 of 12 (171 Views)

Hi Freddy, I recently purchased a used CapShare 910 which had "exactly" the same problem you have described, everything worked except the capture...it just freezes the CapShare until the power is cycled.
I am an electrical engineer and have designed somewhat similar microcontroller based embedded systems for various commercial & consumer applications (not for HP).
Since there is no HP support and no apparent online solution... I removed the back cover from the 910 and found that a sharp "spring metal grounding clip" (on the right side) had nicked and shorted the wires leading to the large LEDs (which tell the 910 its physical scanning position on a paper page). I carefully repositioned the LEDs' four wires so they were safe and reassembled the unit. My CapShare 910 now captures images!!!
The back cover is a little tricky to remove and replace since the power and contrast buttons are held in place by the back cover as well. If you do not want to attempt this yourself, you may want to enlist the help of an acquaintance who is very good with computer hardware type repair.
No guarantee that this is the same problem you are having...but I would say it is a very strong possibility. On my CapShare 910 this was a failure waiting to happen and it was that way since the day it was assembled at the factory from what I observed. Someone in production neglected to be careful when they routed the LEDs' wires near a sharp sping metal grounding clip.
Hope this helps.
Best regards, Mike
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Fernando M H Moreira
Message 9 of 12 (171 Views)

Hi Freddy, rene and Mike Naylor, I had exactly the same problem you have described. Did you get your Capshare 920 repaired?
Regards,
Fernando
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Freddy Galarraga
Message 10 of 12 (171 Views)

Fernando, no I was not able to get the Capshare repaired.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mike Naylor
Message 11 of 12 (168 Views)

Yes, I repaired it myself. See my previous message where I describe my CapShare's failure mode, the hardware problem I descovered, and how I repaired the problem. You may have the same problem and you may not. If you are unsure about attempting the dissassembly yourself you might ask a computer technician who is experienced in hardware work to check it out using my previous message as a possible guide. At this point you may not have much to lose. Used CapShares are found on eBay but they sell for a high price. Good luck to you.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Capshare 920
Message 12 of 12 (168 Views)

I just saw the Capshare 920 in use. What an amazing product! Way better than anything out there. I am amazed that 10 years later, someone hasn't tried to do a portable scanner that actually displays in a screen whether you picked up the entire page or not. The IRIS pens stink! Mr. Jensen...Booyah! Nad Hazzaa! to you and your team. and if HP is listening, please try to restart this program!!
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation