Attaching an electronic document via a URL? (428 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Steve_Urbina
Message 1 of 6 (428 Views)
Accepted Solution

Attaching an electronic document via a URL?

Is it possible to attach an electronic document to a HP TRIM/RM Record via a URL using the .NET SDK? Or, is it possible to attach an electronic document  to a HP TRIM/RM Record via FTP?

HP Expert
Greg Fraser_1
Message 2 of 6 (397 Views)

Re: Attaching an electronic document via a URL?

Not entirely sure I am following what you are asking. Can you elaborate more?

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard**
Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 3 of 6 (379 Views)

You can't do this with the current way that TRIM stores documents.

What may work is if you use a .lnk file as the 'document' that you register into TRIM, which is basically just a URL file linking back to your web path/ftp path.

You could also just an additional field to save a URL, but this wont be as seamless for the user.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE
::::::::::::::::::::::

Kapish.com.au
Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 4 of 6 (375 Views)

[ Edited ]

URLs have a maximum limit of 2,000 characters.  So attaching via a URL is technically possible, but highly unlikely.  You'd need to reserve enough space to know the content type, disposition, etc.  

Synchronizing via FTP is possible.  Several products do this (like EzeScan).   Would be easy to code a .Net app to handle this.

If you want to receive things via the web your best bet is a webservice.

*EDIT*: I forgot to mention you can also receive documents via a form post command.  This is how a .Net site would receive it via upload anyways.

Frequent Advisor
Steve_Urbina
Message 5 of 6 (345 Views)

I had a customer ask if this was possible. I am not certain what they wanted to do. The follow-on responses have given me enough information to use. Thanks.
Frequent Advisor
Steve_Urbina
Message 6 of 6 (345 Views)

I think this is enough to work with. I am not certain why I was asked this question. I suppose the link could be managed like a paper document and the link (in an additional field).
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.