Re: What is the impact of changing the 'qcadmin' user password? (341 Views)
Visitor
Leeds_Guy
Message 1 of 7 (441 Views)

What is the impact of changing the 'qcadmin' user password?

I need to change the 'qcadmin' user password in the admin tool, but don't know if there are any implications relating to this.

E.g.. - are there any areas in ALM that depend on the 'old' password, and how would these areas behave if I were to change the password to something different?

Any advice gratefully received!

Honored Contributor
shiv_p
Message 2 of 7 (435 Views)

Re: What is the impact of changing the 'qcadmin' user password?

did you mean qc site administrator password or something else?

if it's ALM site admin, there are no implications.

Visitor
Leeds_Guy
Message 3 of 7 (428 Views)

Hi Shivaram

I'm not entirely sure what type of user it is, but it displays slightly differently on the 'site connections' tab of the admin area.

The qcadmin user whose password I need to change is listed with a client type of 'OTAclient'.

My admin user is listed with a client type of 'Quality Centre Client UI'

Because of these differences, I was wary of changing the password in case there were any unknown implications..

Visitor
Leeds_Guy
Message 4 of 7 (416 Views)

I meant to add that the qcadmin user mentioned above aften appears more than once in the site connections tab, so it's obviously linked to some background process or processes, which use this user...
Honored Contributor
shiv_p
Message 5 of 7 (411 Views)

If it's one of your QC end-user, there are no implications.

don't attempt to change td /schema or database passwords...You will need to follow certian steps to get ALM working for such changes.

Honored Contributor
shiv_p
Message 6 of 7 (407 Views)

If you are not sure, please check with HP support.

Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 7 of 7 (341 Views)

Regardless of the connection type, the user has to be authenticated. That means the user's password has to be submitted during the process of connecting.

If the connection type is "UI" then the connection was made through the ALM/QC UI, either the Explorer application or through the general web application in a browser.

If the connection type says OTAClient, then somebody has created and is running a program that is using the Open Test Architecture API to establish a connection to the ALM/QC system. The UIs generally don't use this type of connection unless somebody has done something interesting through customizing workflow code.

So, you need to look at the Host information for the OTAClient application. That will tell you what system is running the code. Then go to that system and try to find out what application is running that might be using the API to connect to the ALM/QC system. It could be a compiled program, or an interpretted language program. In either case, that code will need to be updated to submit whatever new password you've entered for the "qcadmin" user.
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.