Re: User must always run IE as administrator after having successfully installed QC 10. (1592 Views)
Occasional Advisor
BARNESKCOP
Message 1 of 12 (1,691 Views)
Accepted Solution

User must always run IE as administrator after having successfully installed QC 10.

QC 10.0.0.2532 Patch 30, OS Windows 7 64-bit, IE 9.0.15 256-bit

A user has successfully installed QC on his WIN7 machine running IE as administrator. He should now be able to open the browser normally, go to QC and log in, but instead files are trying to download as though his install was not complete and he receives errors since he is not running IE as admin at that point.

I watched as he ran IE as administrator, accessed the same QC server URL successfully (with no files attempting to download), and logged into his project. As long as he always runs IE as administrator he can do this but he cannot simply open the browser and go to QC without files trying to download and receiving the errors noted below.

Other things I have checked:

He is an admin on the machine.

His User Account Control settings are identical to mine.

His QC build #, patch level, initial and max values of jboss heap, and QC license key are identical to mine.

His IE version, the security level set for the local intranet zone, and all security-related advanced browser settings are identical to mine.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance, suggestions of other settings that could be at issue, etc. We have had no other users experience this issue after successful installation.

His errors (only received if not running browser as admin):

Following client components were not downloaded successfully:

1 . QTGrid.dll :

(Error 5) Access is denied.

Failed to open file for writing

2 . ArgsEditor.dll :

(Error 5) Access is denied.

Failed to open file for writing

3 . QTGrid.dll :

Cannot load type library

4 . QTGrid.dll :

(Error 1008) An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist.

Cannot register type library

5 . ArgsEditor.dll :

Cannot load type library

6 . ArgsEditor.dll :

(Error 1008) An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist.

Cannot register type library

Close all connections to Server and try again.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Srihari_Amgen
Message 2 of 12 (1,665 Views)

Re: User must always run IE as administrator after having successfully installed QC 10.

[ Edited ]

Hi BARNESKCOP,

According to my understanding you are explaining that when user runs the IE with an administrator previlige,

QC was loading correctly and he was able lo login without any issues.

Sine IE was ran as administrator for the first time your assumption was that all the files would have got downloaded and this time even if we launch the IE normally QC should load without any issues.

Am I correct?

First Off, Is disabling UAC againist to your company policy?

If not try disabling UAC and verify wheter QC is loading without any issues on the users machine.           

Try launching normally,If you see any DLL errors, then for the first attempt launch as administrator if everything loads fine, close the browser and second attempt launch normally and see whether QC      is loading properly.

Second,  Try resetting the Internet Explorer advanced options and settings and launch QC 10.          Try launching normally,If you see any DLL errors, then for the first attempt launch as administrator if everything loads fine, close the browser and second attempt launch normally and see whether QC    is loading properly.

Third Workaround,              

let UAC be ON.              

Close all the browsers        

Goto the Windows 7 64 bit Machine B where QC is loading fine.     

Goto C:\Program Files(x86)\HP  copy all the folder "Quality Center Client Side" and all its files to some network drive.          

Goto C:\Program Files(x86)\HP of affected users Machine A ; paste the "Quality Center Client Side" and all its files from the network drive to this location.     

Also, Goto C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files on Machine A, see if there is any folder called "Mercury Interactive" if it is not present create it.     

in the location C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Mercury Interactive paste the same the folder "Quality Center Client Side" and all its files from network drive.    

rename "Quality Center Client Side" folder name to "Quality Center".          

launch the IE9 32 bit in normal mode and launch QC 10.0    

Try launching normally,If you see any DLL errors, then for the first attempt launch as administrator if everything loads fine, close the browser and second attempt launch normally and see whether QC         is loading properly.  

Fourth :

goto the start->Run -> type %temp% and delete TD_80 folder

for the first attempt launch as administrator if everything loads fine, close the browser and second attempt launch normally and see whether QC    is loading properly.

Let me know the result.     

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Srihari

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
BARNESKCOP
Message 3 of 12 (1,651 Views)

Re: User must always run IE as administrator after having successfully installed QC 10.

Thank you very much, Srihari. I will post the outcome.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
BARNESKCOP
Message 4 of 12 (1,650 Views)

I apologize for two response posts. Srihari, I meant to include that you are correct in your understanding of the problem.

All other users can open the browser normally and log into QC after the initial successful install because no additional file download is necessary at that point (unless a patch were subsequently required, in which case they may have to run as admin to download the patch but otherwise should not have to run as admin to access QC and log in).
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
vodanick
Message 5 of 12 (1,649 Views)

A option that works as well is the following:

1. Go to IE Internet Options

2. Advanced tab

3. Go to the Security Section

4. Uncheck "Enable memory protection to Help mitigate online attacks."

5. Press ok

6. Close IE and start IE again by running it as administrator

7. Files should download

Regard's

Vodanick

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
BARNESKCOP
Message 6 of 12 (1,629 Views)

Vodanick, thank you for the suggestion. That particular security setting is locked by our system administrator so the proposed solution is not an option in this case. I appreciate your time.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
BARNESKCOP
Message 7 of 12 (1,629 Views)

[ Edited ]

Srihari, your first proposed solution allowed the user to launch the browser normally and successfully access the QC login only while the UAC setting was lowered. Once returned to the default setting, the problem presented once more. Leaving the UAC at the lower setting is not an option here, but for those organizations that will allow this, that solution will work. I underlined that text in hopes that someone with a similar problem who can leave the UAC off will see my comment.

Your second workaround referenced resetting the IE advanced options and settings and launching QC 10. Could you provide information as to which advanced options you refer to and of those, which you suggest be selected versus de-selected? I greatly appreciate your help.

With regard to your third proposed workaround, copying the client side files and taking the other steps outlined in the proposal (or using the client side installer) is an option I have yet to explore in this case as I await feedback from the user on whether his schedule permits the time to do so. Should he respond in the affirmative, I will certainly post the results afterward.

I had not seen your fourth proposal earlier today. I will try that when the user's schedule permits.

Thank you again for your kind consideration.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Srihari_Amgen
Message 8 of 12 (1,624 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi BARNESKCOP,

Thanks for posting the details.

Below are the setting's which I am referring to:

IE9->Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> click on "Restore Advanced settings" button.

IE9->Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Reset Internet Explorer settings -> Click on "Reset" button.

As a last option you can try exporting the reg file from working machine to a non working machine.

Please MAKE sure this action wont break other HP apps on the affected users machine.

Please take vendor suggestion before performing this action.

1. export from working machine.

Run -> regedit -> Computer -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Mercury Interactive -> right click -> export

2.Import into Non working machine.

Regards,

Srihari

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
szlb3b
Message 9 of 12 (1,592 Views)

Is the site added to Trusted sites? If not please give a try.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
BARNESKCOP
Message 10 of 12 (1,583 Views)

Thank you, szlb3b. The site is in trusted sites and the security level for the user's trusted sites is identical to mine. I appreciate your help.

Srihari, in the past we have uninstalled, then reinstalled, on user’s machines using the client side installer for other reasons, meaning not this user’s unique circumstance. Is there a benefit to manually making the changes (copying files, creating or renaming folders - after backing up registry) versus using the installer? Thank you again for your assistance. It is greatly appreciated.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Srihari_Amgen
Message 11 of 12 (1,576 Views)

Hi BARNESKCOP,

The thumb rule is QC should load properly once we install QC using the QC Client Side Installer.

Quality Center Client Side Setup Add-in

The HP Quality Center Client Side Setup Add-in enables you to install all Quality Center modules on your client machine, without having to download them through a browser. 

For information on installing clients using the Client Side Setup, see HP Software Self-solve knowledge base article KM523641 (http://h20230.www2.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM523641).

Silent Mode: To install this add-in in silent mode, download the add-in to your machine. Choose Start > Run. In the Run dialog box, type the following command: [directory path]\QCClient.msi /qn

Versions supported: HP Quality Center 10.00. 

If QC is not loading after the successful client side installation ; we should be know where the installer went wrong and which files were not installed by looking at the Installer log files.

Generally in this case instead of going through the logs , I copied the dump of QC folder and its associated files from a working machine to a non working one,QC used to load successfully in normal mode on non working machine after copying the files .

That is the reason why I proposed this work around.

Regards,

Srihari

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
BARNESKCOP
Message 12 of 12 (1,485 Views)

FINAL FOLLOW-UP BY ORIGINAL POSTER:

The Community response was extremely helpful, timely and appreciated. I am sure several of the recommendations would have worked had company policy allowed me to make certain changes. Additionally, the client side installer option may very well have addressed the situation had the user's schedule allowed the time to do it. The user opted to continue running IE as Administrator. Post upgrade to ALM 11, the user is no longer experiencing the issue.

Again, many thanks to those who posted recommendations!

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation