Re: Unable to Install ALM11.52 On 2K8 R2, Oracle DB, Failed to validate database connection paramete (408 Views)
Visitor
CITS
Message 1 of 7 (471 Views)

Unable to Install ALM11.52 On 2K8 R2, Oracle DB, Failed to validate database connection parameters

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Out of desperation I have had to post this thread to ask for help and advice on installing HP ALM 11.52 on Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 and attempting to connect to an Oracle database, also installed on the same OS on the same machine. 

Firstly, I must state that I am trying to utilise Oracle 12.0.1.0. I understand that this isn't listed as one of the supported Oracle versions for ALM11.52 but was hopeful that it would work. I'm unable to get access to the supported versions of Oracle (11.2.0.3 and .04) as I don't have an Enterprise contract with Oracle. 

I installed Server 2008 R2 without issue and updated it. I then installed Oracle 12.0.1.0 seemingly successfully as I can connect from the Windows command prompt to the DB. 

When installing ALM 11.52, I reach the section of the install where the DB is specified and enter the details requested thus:

Database Type: Oracle

Database Parameters:

-DB Host Name: TESTSERVER (as confirmed from logging into Oracle OEM)

-DB Port Number: 1521

-Oracle SID: prdborcl

Database Administrator Login:

-DB admin user name: SYSTEM

And I then enter the password for the SYSTEM user who is listed as having DBA permissions to the DB. 

I am then returned with the message: "Failed to validate connection parameters". There is a short spell of a message appearing before the above error that states 'validating user settings' which to me would indicate that there is something wrong with the user supplied. However as the user is a SYS DBA user, I don't know what is going wrong here and I'm at the end of my tether. I am able to sqlplus to the DB using the aforementioned user and its password. 

Could anyone offer any assistance as to what might be wrong or what I can try/further information I can supply to you guys?

Many thanks in advance,

Mitch. 

Regular Advisor
msmithson
Message 2 of 7 (456 Views)

Re: Unable to Install ALM11.52 On 2K8 R2, Oracle DB, Failed to validate database connection paramete

This is for MS SQL but forgetting to change this caused me similar issues. Might be a place to start. Sometimes the various systems settings end up being the issue rather than the install depending on your base OS setup.

SQL Server Configuration Manager

Enable the Client Protocol TCP/IP

Also:

Disable UAC

Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Click User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings > Turn User Account Control Settings off

Visitor
CITS
Message 3 of 7 (454 Views)

Re: Unable to Install ALM11.52 On 2K8 R2, Oracle DB, Failed to validate database connection paramete

Hi,

Many thanks for the response. I had already disabled UAC as I had read that as a possible issue in other help threads. I've looked into whether or not you can disable TCP/IP for the Oracle DB and can't find that info, I will keep on looking.

For reference, the listeners for the DB are up and running as per the below:
LSNRCTL> status
Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1521)))
STATUS of the LISTENER
------------------------
Alias LISTENER
Version TNSLSNR for 64-bit Windows: Version 12.1.0.1.0 - Production
Start Date 07-FEB-2014 13:43:26
Uptime 0 days 1 hr. 33 min. 54 sec
Trace Level off
Security ON: Local OS Authentication
SNMP OFF
Listener Parameter File C:\app\Oracle\product\12.1.0\dbhome_1\network\admin\listener.ora
Listener Log File C:\app\Oracle\diag\tnslsnr\TESTSERVER\listener\alert\log.xml
Listening Endpoints Summary...
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROC1521ipc)))
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=TESTSERVER)(PORT=1521)))
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcps)(HOST=TESTSERVER)(PORT=5500))(Security=(my_wallet_directory=C:\APP\ORACLE\admin\orcl\xdb_wallet))(Presentation=HTTP)(Session=RAW)
Services Summary...
Service "CLRExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
Instance "CLRExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
Service "orcl" has 1 instance(s).
Instance "orcl", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
Service "orclXDB" has 1 instance(s).
Service "pdborcl" has 1 instance(s).
The command completed successfully
Regular Advisor
msmithson
Message 4 of 7 (452 Views)

Another issue I had connecting was changing the account used to connect to the DB.

By default I believe the account user is td_db_admin or some such. I found that using any other account seemed to cause issues when it came to the connection regardless of the account/rights for that user. By default I stick with this account and grant it all the rights to the database.

My still be an issue with the DB version but worth it you get it working.

Visitor
CITS
Message 5 of 7 (441 Views)

Again, I have read that as being an issue with MS SQL Server DB usage with ALM but I can't find any reference to it when an Oracle DB is being used. I'm just being asked for the Administration user for the database, for which I use SYSTEM and I've granted that every permission in OEM that I can think of and still no luck. 

It might be worth mentioning that I tried the same using Oracle 11G R2 and had the same issue.  

Visitor
CITS
Message 6 of 7 (424 Views)

I'd just like to add to the above that I'm not a DBA by profession or Sys Admin, I'm a Test Analyst hence why I don't have in-depth knowledge (deployment and setup) of either Oracle or SQL Server databases and this is the reason that I'm so stuck. I want to get experience of using ALM (just the trial version would do with its included demo project) so that I can go into future roles with a better understanding of ALM than the odd video on Youtube provides. 

Does the ALM installation log to anywhere so I can see when it is throwing the 'Failed to validate database connection parameters' message exactly what the issue is? Im not un-technical by any means but a generic, non-descript UI error message doesn't help me find the root cause of my problem.  

Honored Contributor
shiv_p
Message 7 of 7 (408 Views)

check the logs in C:\ProgramData\HP\ALM\log
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.