Re: Site admin and users of a project are locked (759 Views)
Advisor
qc Solution Manager
Message 1 of 14 (807 Views)
Accepted Solution

Site admin and users of a project are locked

Hi

Need urgent help.

We're using QC 9.0. After upgrading to Patch 26,

- all the users of a project

- and SiteAdmin user (only one user)

got locked and could not login.

please let us know if anyone could help.

I need to know

1) How can I unlock the QC users of a project ( we knew the password)

2) How can I unlock the SiteAdmin user.

We tried putting a blank password (NULL) at DB level, but even after doing that, we could not login with blank password into SiteAdmin.

please advice

thanks!

Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 2 of 14 (785 Views)

Re: Site admin and users of a project are locked

What exactly is telling you the users are "locked"? Are you getting some kind of error message? If so, what is it?

When you set a user password to blank within the database (in the USERS table), you actually have to set it to the encrypted value for blank, not literally to NULL. Assuming you are not authenticating using LDAP, the following should work.

1. Login to Query Analyzer or Enterprise Manager and locate the site admin schema.

2. Run the following query (reset password to blank. The code below is meant for encrypted null string):
UPDATE USERS SET USER_PASSWORD = 'DEF:2jmj7l5rSw0yVb/vlWAYkK/YBwk=' WHERE USER_ID = <user_id>;

NOTE: Please make sure that <user_id> is replaced with a site admin's user ID.

3. Login to Site Administration using the username whose password was updated in step 2 and leave the password field empty.
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
Advisor
qc Solution Manager
Message 3 of 14 (782 Views)

The error message is :

[Mercury][Oracle JDBC Driver][Oracle]ORA-28000: the account is locked

I'm using JBoss, and observed:

- During JBoss startup also I get the similar message as follows:.

17:27:21,046 ERROR [[/sabin]] Servlet /sabin threw load() exception

com.mercury.jdbc.base.BaseSQLException: [Mercury][Oracle JDBC Driver][Oracle]ORA

-28000: the account is locked

I beleive this is due to the qcsiteadmin_db password mismatch. I also tried unlocking the user at backend Oracle, and started the QC again, but when QC comes up, the user qcsiteadmin_db gets locked again (TIMED). I beleive this is due to multiple tries with the mismatch password and it gets locked.

The site admin schema is default : qcsiteadmin_db

1) How to set the password and sync up with database and JBoss?

2) The siteadmin.xml file has an encrypted password in the format "TWO:23-23-23...."

I beleive this is causing the issue.  siteadmin and qc are locked now and could not login to both.

please let me know as I need to fix this asap..

thanks

Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 4 of 14 (774 Views)

If this is urgent, open a case with HP support directly.  Assuming you have a support contract - go to their support web site - http://support.openview.hp.com/

I can't advise on Oracle - I don't use that.

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
Valued Contributor
sdeff
Message 5 of 14 (771 Views)

Are you using LDAP??

Have faced this issue before and found that the issue resides within LDAP.

We just reconfigured the connection of LDAP and waited for sometime for the configuration to commit and everything was back to normal. We too thought that the issue resides with the ORACLE database and did also the steps you mentioned but the issue reoccur from time to time.

Also in another instance, we faced this issue with MSSQL databse. Also we found the in the MSSQL DB properties that the users were locked, there is an option ther to unock them but also the isue reoccur from time to time. Uninstall/reinstall the patch solved our issue.

Advisor
qc Solution Manager
Message 6 of 14 (768 Views)

We're not using LDAP.

It is a standalone Windows 2003 / Oracle with a single siteadmin user configured.

thanks

Advisor
qc Solution Manager
Message 7 of 14 (767 Views)

The steps should be pretty much similar to Oracle or MSSQL. THe issue mainly here is synching up the siteadmin.xml with the correct password. If anyone could advise how to sync up the password of user (qcsiteadmin_db) in database with that of QC uses (qcsiteadmin_db) , it should fix it.
Valued Contributor
sdeff
Message 8 of 14 (759 Views)

so you mean that your password in siteadmin.xml and siteadmin_db password are different?

You can try to change the password in siteadmin.xml to match with the password in siteadmin_db.

try  TXT:<password> //actual password since passwords in xml are encrypted.

I did this before but in projects dbid.xml

Im not really sure if this is what you need. siteadmin_db usually uses "tdtdtd" as password unless you changed it.

Advisor
qc Solution Manager
Message 9 of 14 (743 Views)

Yes, that's the issue, becuase when QC service is started, the qcsiteadmin_db user gets locked due to wrong password.

The siteadmin.xml has something like this in DBPassword: TWO:20-7-20-97-22-55-47-30

not sure how to sync this up with Database password.

Advisor
qc Solution Manager
Message 10 of 14 (738 Views)

Could you explain a bit more about TXT:  ?

How this can be done to reset password

Advisor
qc Solution Manager
Message 11 of 14 (719 Views)

hi -- thanks for the post, it really helped to resolve the issue ! Now we could login to siteadmin/projects.
Frequent Visitor
Santoclos
Message 12 of 14 (715 Views)

good thing it was the TXT ;-)

Valued Contributor
sdeff
Message 13 of 14 (711 Views)

in the siteadmin.xml the passord set there is encrypted. And it is a coomon issue to forget the password set for the siteadmin especially if you don't use the default "tdtdtd". We use "TXT" to set the actual password the same as the one set in the db (plain text). :)

Advisor
qc Solution Manager
Message 14 of 14 (692 Views)

Awesome! That was good!

I have one more thing to ask.

We started the "Database to Repository" feature for our migration. the size of the project QC gave is  about ~14 GB.

We had enough disk space (200 GB) so we started running it. But even after 8 hours of execution, the export of Database to Repository job did not finish. I guess it is not even writing any more to the file system, the free space in the disk is not reducing.  Looks like it is in hung state...

Question is:

Can we stop the QC and restart as it is not moving? If doing so would it affect the QC system? any ideas?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.