Re: Sending periodically emails (215 Views)
Advisor
ricardomiguel81
Message 1 of 4 (240 Views)

Sending periodically emails

Hi,

I need to send periodically emails (once per day) to all users that have defects assigned. Does anyone have any clue about this?

Thanks a lot for your avaibility.

Regards,

RC

Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 2 of 4 (229 Views)

Re: Sending periodically emails

Write a program that utilizes the QC OTA API to extract the information and generate emails. Then use a scheduling tool like MS Task Scheduler to run the program periodically.

QC has no built in tools for scheduling events, as far as I know.

Alternately you can customize a workflow within a project, but that workflow could be triggered only if somebody logged into the project.
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
Advisor
ricardomiguel81
Message 3 of 4 (220 Views)

Hi Trudy Claspill.

First, let me thank you about your guidelines :).

The first solution seems to be a little bit heavy for the purpose; and the second one is a little bit dangerous because of the reasons you mentioned...

I was thinking about using the Dashboard view, add an Excel Report, and script on the "Post-processing" area. Do you think it would work? Is it possible to write QC OTA API code there?

Thanks a lot, regards, RC

Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 4 of 4 (215 Views)

The Post Processing part of an Excel report in the Dashboard is the same as writing the code directly in Excel to interface to the OTA API. Very similar to writing your own program, and limited to the scripting language available in Excel.

Since the post processing is executed after Excel is opened, and Excel is opened locally for whomever runs the report, then that person would need to have the necessary components installed on their system for interfacing to the OTA API I think. That would mean registering the QC client on that workstation.

I have not actually written anything in post processing for an Excel Dashboard report, or directly in Excel to interface to the OTA API. I expect it can be done, I just haven't ever had a reason to try.
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.