Restoring deleted test cases in QC 9.1 (4388 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Ståle Andersen
Message 1 of 7 (4,388 Views)

Restoring deleted test cases in QC 9.1

One of my colleagues has accidentally and unintentionally deleted some test cases in QC.

I found some info on the net that said:
'You can restore the deleted objects, what ever objects you delete it will go only to recylebin and your TD admin only has the access to recycle bin and he can only clean it. So before ur TD admin cleans it inform him and he can restore the deleted objects'.

I do have Admin privileges on our TD-site, but are not sure how I can perform such restoring. Should this be node through Site Administration or by opening the project in Quality Center? Could anyone give me a hint?

Honored Contributor
Rhonda Robinson
Message 2 of 7 (4,388 Views)

Re: Restoring deleted test cases in QC 9.1

I do not believe that deleted test cases are placed in the recycle bin. I have access to the recycle bin on both the QC App server and the DB server. After deleting a test case, nothing was placed in the recycle bin on either server.

The best suggestion for restoring the deleted test cases is to perform a full restore of the QC DB and Repository from the previous back up. This will cause you to lose any work performed since the time of the backup.

If this is not a viable option, then you will simply need to recreate the deleted test cases. You will lose all prior execution history for those test cases.
Honored Contributor
Jan Czajkowski
Message 3 of 7 (4,388 Views)

In case a lot of work has been carried out since that last backup, an alternative to Rhonda's suggestion is to create a dummy project and then ask the DBA to replace the DB of the dummy project with the backup of the project with lost test cases. Then you can simply copy-paste test cases from the dummy project to your project. You will lose the run information for the deleted tests, however.
Jan Czajkowski

[Please do not contact me off line for receiving support. Use the forum!]
Occasional Advisor
Abhay56
Message 4 of 7 (4,388 Views)

Hi guys !
I urgently need your help...
I deleted many test plan folders by mistake.
I can see scripts in 'Unattached folder'. But only scripts are there and it is hard to identify them that they belonged to which test plan folder originally.

1. Is it possible to retrieve tests from the unattached folder ??
2. How to do this ?
3. How to restore older folder structure in QC as original ?
4. Who can help me ? DBA??

As you guys have great expertise in this area, I hope you would be able to help me.
Occasional Advisor
Abhay56
Message 5 of 7 (4,388 Views)

Hi guys !
I urgently need your help...
I deleted many test plan folders by mistake.
I can see scripts in 'Unattached folder'. But only scripts are there and it is hard to identify them that they belonged to which test plan folder originally.

1. Is it possible to retrieve tests from the unattached folder ??
2. How to do this ?
3. How to restore older folder structure in QC as original ?
4. Who can help me ? DBA??

As you guys have great expertise in this area, I hope you would be able to help me.

regards Abhay
Occasional Visitor
BhavyaHB
Message 6 of 7 (4,315 Views)

Hi,

When a folder is deleted in QC, folder hierarchy structure will be gone but all the test cases will be in unattached folder as you said. You can retrieve this or place it back into its original structure only if you have moved these test cases to a test set in test lab. Or else you will be lost in searching test cases individually among the thousands of TC's or sometimes even more, since it contains test cases that were deleted from years.

And you can easily get the test cases related to one test set at one shot by specifying the Test Set ID as filter in Test Plan.

Here are the steps,

1) Go to Test Lab & find the respective Test Set ID in Test Lab. (Test Lab-->"Folder heirachy"--->Test Set --> towards your ride side go to "Details" tab -- > note the test Set ID.

2) Click on Test Plan and apply an filter for Test Set ID. (Filter-->set filter--> Cross Filter-->Test Sets-->choose the second radio button-->Enter the test Set ID in a window-->OK--->OK)

=== It will filter out the data. Since it is deleted and present only in unattached, after filtering , the result (All the Test cases related to that Test Set ID) will be listed under Unattached folder.

3)Select all the test cases under Unattached folder & copy it.

4)Clear the filter after copying the test cases in Test Plan itself and paste it where ever required / put it into your folder structure. (Folder structure you want or else you can even follow the same folder structure available in Test Lab, but you will have to create tht structure..

Honored Contributor
Vladimir Skrbek
Message 7 of 7 (4,312 Views)

You have unlikely not good situations.

You can ask for recovering the project backup and then compare the test plan structure and create it manualy.

You can use if you have some old reports and see if there is a structure in test plan

For me the best way that I use lastly is to ask db administrators. If there is undo function turn on the database then you can recover or see the deleted records. For Oracle this is called Flashback or undo or ...

In your situation you have to know the tables where are test plan folders. It is the table called "ALL_LISTS" and the column AL_FATHER_ID=2 is mainly for Subject folder, then you have to go futher and futher.

The database administrator can see which records from this table are in some time in the past deleted. If you will say exact date and time. Then you have to find which tests are in which folder. This is saved in table TEST in the column TS_SUBJECT. but this value is not deleted so you will see the number here even the subject folder does not exist.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.