Re: Quality Center & Firefox (5907 Views)
Advisor
ww43117
Message 1 of 24 (5,882 Views)

Quality Center & Firefox

Does anyone have experience using QC & Firefox?
i.e. does it work, if yes are the any issues.
thanks in advance
Honored Contributor
Eric Schumacher
Message 2 of 24 (5,882 Views)

Re: Quality Center & Firefox

What is the real need to use Firefox for QC? What would be the purpose if you can use either IE or QC Explorer?

It's better to have people respond to posts in the forum than request that people email you directly. There is no value in filling a forum with questions.

Eric Schumacher
TDForums.com
www.TDForums.com
Occasional Visitor
YANG ZHAO
Message 3 of 24 (5,882 Views)

i think, quite a few developers are using Linux desktop now, so firefox is the web browser.
Honored Contributor
Eric Schumacher
Message 4 of 24 (5,882 Views)

Zang, QC only runs on Windows because it's a combination of com and .net. QC is not a web application it is "web enabled". It doesn't actually use any part of the web browser to communicate over http. It has it's own http control. QC is actually a thick client.

QC will not run in Firefox. I also really don't see why it really makes any difference what browser it runs in. It can run in QC Explorer which is really just a dhtml control on a windows form and not a browser at all...

Eric Schumacher
TDForums.com
www.TDForums.com
Honored Contributor
Vladimir Skrbek
Message 5 of 24 (5,882 Views)

Eric right explanation.

Note for firefox and Windows:
If you have windows OS and Firefox you can install IE Tab plugin to Firefox that will allow open IE directly in firefox so you do not have two applications open.
Super Advisor
GeorgeCCarvill
Message 6 of 24 (5,882 Views)

What is "QC Explorer"
Honored Contributor
Eric Schumacher
Message 7 of 24 (5,882 Views)

Non browser QC client found on your add-in's page on your QC server.

Eric Schumacher
TDForums.com
www.TDForums.com
Super Advisor
GeorgeCCarvill
Message 8 of 24 (5,882 Views)

Thanks, but I don't find it. I find two "add_ins" folders, but nothing in them that seems like what I would be looking for. What AM i looking for anyway, and .EXE?

Also, I'm running QC Starter edition 10.0.
Occasional Visitor
YANG ZHAO
Message 9 of 24 (5,882 Views)

So the answer is "QC dose and will not support Firefox on Linux.", right?
Occasional Visitor
YANG ZHAO
Message 10 of 24 (5,882 Views)

QC will not run in Firefox. I also really don't see why it really makes any difference what browser it runs in. It can run in QC Explorer which is really just a dhtml control on a windows form and not a browser at all...

--- The difference is that IE is not available on Linux. BTW: Can QC Explorer run on Linux?
Honored Contributor
Eric Schumacher
Message 11 of 24 (5,873 Views)

QC does not run on anything other than windows regardless of what browser or client you want to use.

Eric Schumacher
TDForums.com
www.TDForums.com
Honored Contributor
Vladimir Skrbek
Message 12 of 24 (5,873 Views)

QC Client use Windows component (never mind what it is or how it is called so you need windows system.

If you want to run it under other system (linux, unix, mac, ...) you can try some virtual program that simulate windows. But it does not mean that it will work correctly.
Occasional Visitor
seanmmcc1
Message 13 of 24 (5,873 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have tried in vain to get qc explorer to work in wine with no success. Currently I use a windows vm to use quality center in IE. . If anyone has had luck with qc explorer and wine please share.

To Eric S: Believe it or not there is a whole camp of people that are'nt running ie/windows. Seems kinda silly to market a bug tracking product to only windows/ie users.

If qc explorer is just a "dhtml client" then why not just make it platform independent?

I guess the last note I'll add on the topic is that for all the thick client 'goup' I fail to find the value for the overhead (slow even on lan, huge initial downloads to run the app)

But since Im stuck using it I'll beg for a platform independent client.

Honored Contributor
Eric Schumacher
Message 14 of 24 (5,873 Views)

[ Edited ]

QC is not dhtml. It's a combo of activex and .NET.

I think if your company purchased this tool they were aware that it was a windows only tool. You may think its silly and I wont argue that a true cross platform client would be ideal, but wanting wont change anything.

If you need to use QC when you are on a non windows system the best solution is citrix or another terminal server supported on your OS. The resources to run a remote window are low. VMWare on the workstation using an nlite'd XP build is very fast so I'm not sure what you think it is other than the fact that the client isn't native.

Eric Schumacher
TDForums.com

www.TDForums.com
Occasional Visitor
seanmmcc1
Message 15 of 24 (5,873 Views)

Eric: "It can run in QC Explorer which is really just a dhtml control on a windows form and not a browser at all..."

Sorry misread your statement. I guess its really just another windows form.

Your recommendations are appreciated but its hard to justify dumping more into qc. Citrix is hardly an affordable solution.

I guess hp really only needs a IE / windows user base for its bug tracking software.
Honored Contributor
Vladimir Skrbek
Message 16 of 24 (5,873 Views)

Unfortunately this is a tool from Mercury and HP just bought it.
I think we all agree that this platform dependant on windows is not the best way but it done on it and just now we cannot change it.
I hope some future version will be platform independant.

If you need to access QC from non windows then you have to find another solution. Like wine, VMware, windows vm, citrix or just another computer and terminal window or I think you will find a lot of another ways. Nothink will be so quick.

I do not know what do you mean with a dhtml control but DHTML is expanded HTML protocol. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhtml.
It is not an windows active x. And QC use windows Active X. Which is realy the thick client that need the windows system and .Net.
It is not a DHTML.
So the QC Explorer is just a thick client for QC that contain that Active X components.
Honored Contributor
Eric Schumacher
Message 17 of 24 (5,873 Views)

Vladimir, The QC Explorer is just simply a windows form with a control on it that acts like a web browser. There is no separate QC client here. The exact same QC client files etc are loaded. You can build your own QC Explorer client in under an hour by taking a windows form and putting a browser control on it.

What the QCE gets you is that the browser control you are using does not impose the security restrictions that IE does.

There is no part of QC that uses IE for HTTP communication other than the first pages where the client loads up.

Once you understand what the client is doing then the terms we use to describe the controls etc are less important.

Eric Schumacher
TDForums.com
www.TDForums.com
Honored Contributor
Vladimir Skrbek
Message 18 of 24 (5,873 Views)

Eric you right. There is no separate QC client. It is downloaded the same.
Occasional Visitor
Jeremy Hanna
Message 19 of 24 (5,873 Views)

so is there no API for QC so that plugins for eclipse/IDEA/etc. can be written? The API could allow for other implementations besides a windows-only implementation too. Windows-only client implementation... sheesh...
Occasional Visitor
gaetan75
Message 20 of 24 (5,873 Views)

I strongly believe in free software and moreover I am using only GNU/Linux .

Is there anyway for me since in my company they use this QC ? Should I resign (probably yes) ?
Occasional Visitor
jmonster
Message 21 of 24 (5,907 Views)

Its sad that products such as QC force Eric to become such a @#%@

I can't believe that such a product exists, If I could quit my place of employment I would... but im stuck here and the HP people know it and they know they have a bunch of people stuck with QC so they just continue to use a POS service that is slow and retarded.

that is all
Advisor
Ario Gunawan
Message 22 of 24 (5,907 Views)

Hi Stephen,

I'm using QC and Firefox (with IE Tab 2 add ons).

Therefore, the QC is loaded within Firefox browser but it's using the IE engine to load the QC (only for QC, but for the rest of tabs it's using firefox engine).

Some people may argue - what's the point of using IE Tab which means you're using IE indirectly.

Yes, but I'm more convenient to open only 1 favourite browser (Firefox) and have multi tabs on it rather than open another IE browser with only QC loaded in it.

Please see the attached screenshot

Cheers,
Occasional Visitor
JaxGuyWestside
Message 23 of 24 (5,907 Views)

[ Edited ]

How long before HP decideds to allow QC to work with IE9? It is sad to be held hostage by this little gem. Why can't you fix it so that moving from version to version isn't a big a deal. Or... when you hear microsoft is working on (and/or about to release) a new browser version... work on supporting it.

I would have been fired long ago.

:-(

Occasional Advisor
Nathan Christie
Message 24 of 24 (5,572 Views)

[ Edited ]

No wonder they removed the word "Quality" from their own product's latest  version...

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.