Re: QTP Support for Silverlight (604 Views)
Occasional Visitor
QTP and Silverlight
Message 1 of 16 (605 Views)
Accepted Solution

QTP Support for Silverlight

My company is considering re-writing our web application using MS Silverlight, and one of the cons is that we will no longer be able to utilize our over 3 years of investment in QTP. QTP currently doesn't recognize objects inside the Silverlight pages. We will need to convert all of our automated tests to manual, and then start all over with a test tool search that can recognize objects in Silverlight.

Does HP have any immediate plans to release a patch that is compatible with Silverlight?

We will research possible workarounds and options, but if anyone has any experience with this technology and QTP then please continue to update this thread. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Krishna Kolachalama
Message 2 of 16 (605 Views)

Re: QTP Support for Silverlight

Have you tried loading the ActiveX add-in as well?
For example: I went to this site which is supposed to be Silverlight2.0 based:
http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=nd

Before loading the ActiveX add-in (I had Web and Ajax add-ins loaded with QTP 9.5), some of the objects were showing as winObject with ATL...class on this site. After loading the ActiveX add-in, I can see the same object as an ActiveX add-in ad hence can access its native methods and all.
fyi: I did choose to install silverlight2.0 when prompted.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Thomas Messerschmidt
Message 3 of 16 (605 Views)

I tried the fix that was suggested and it did not work.

Mercury needs to start supporting Silverlight or I will have to recommend that my company drops support on ALL of its QTP licenses, not buy any more licenses and that they go with another automated test tool.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Eric Schumacher
Message 4 of 16 (605 Views)

Thomas, Buddy! Long time my friend.

Silverlight support has been offered to the HP partners to develop and support. It has not been built yet.

I personally think HP should build it, but at this time the task rests with the partners.

Eric Schumacher
TDForums.com
www.TDForums.com
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
QTP and Silverlight
Message 5 of 16 (605 Views)

Thanks for the replies and yes we did try enabling ActiveX, but as you experienced QTP still does not recognize the individual objects. As our annual renewal nears we will be looking for other automation options. Maybe HP will take some action to support SilverLight since more and more companies use that technology.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Krishna Kolachalama
Message 6 of 16 (605 Views)

for QTP 10:
QuickTest Silverlight Add-in released as a patch.

Install patch QTPNET_00018.exe
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
QTP and Silverlight
Message 7 of 16 (605 Views)

Thanks for the information! This is very good news if the patch indeed does allow QTP to recognize objects on the SilverLight pages. Do you have a link to the download you can share as I did not find the link on the downloads page.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Krishna Kolachalama
Message 8 of 16 (605 Views)

Goto http://support.openview.hp.com/
click on "Software Patches" under "Where do I find", login with your HP Passport account.

Note that QTP 10 is listed at the bottom of the list in the product versions list for QuickTest Professional when it is selected.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
shiv_p
Message 9 of 16 (605 Views)

Krishna......Thanks for the info my dear friend...!!!

I also found...Silverlight Support for QC Add-in QTPQC_00002

you would require this in case if you need to run qtp scripts from QC..!

~~Shivaram
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
QTP and Silverlight
Message 10 of 16 (605 Views)

I installed QTP v10 (build 513). When I use the Object Spy on a SilverLight page all that is recognized is the main frame and not the objects inside the frame. I have the .net and web extensions enabled. Have you had any success identifying the individual objects inside a SilverLight page? If so so am I missing any add-ins or QTP extensions? thanks again for your help!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Ashokan
Message 11 of 16 (604 Views)

Hello guys, I am Ashok. I would like to join in this conversation. Because me too working in QTP support for silverlight.

I was installed silverlight3 in my machine and addin for QTP also installed. but still the QTP is not recognize the silverlight objects in the browser.

can anyone help me on this to sort it out.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mykL S.
Message 12 of 16 (604 Views)

Hi guys, let me join in the topic too..i was not able to see this post before so i have posted a separate topic (Properly handling Silverlight objects in web application with QTP).

anyway, i'm having a hard time defining object properties in a web application which has used Silverlight. I'm doing programmatic description but during run-time, most objects doesn't seem to get recognized properly especially those which are coded for arrays. (At one run instance i've counted 81 objects, and at another instance, it showed 54.)

are there any specific patches that I may install so that QTP could work well? I'm currently using QTP v10.0 with WPF(Silverlight) and .Net add-ins and QTPNET_00028.exe patch, but this doesn't seem to solve my problem..
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
QTP and Silverlight
Message 13 of 16 (604 Views)

HP is working with my company on a beta release of QTP that should work with SilverLight. So far we do not have a working copy to share. HP is using our product to help them understand the SilverLight issues. Hopefully they can make some quick progress and we can all have a QTP patch that will work well w/SilverLight. With the many updates to SilverLight it looks like QTP will be in a constant state of catch-up with the changing technoloy. I'll update the forum post once we have a copy of QTP that works well with SL.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Al Markert
Message 14 of 16 (604 Views)

Hello,

I tried to find the QTPNET_00028 patch via the patch download search engine on the HP site. I did not have any luck. Is this still a viable patch? Also, have you heard on a target release date for the Beta?

Thank you,

Al
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
bill koenig
Message 15 of 16 (604 Views)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Avra
Message 16 of 16 (604 Views)

Few problems are coming by very often when working with Silverlight objects in QTP 10.0 (though it has Silverlight add-in with it). Those are given below,

1)Recording is not generating test scripts.

2)Some objects are not getting added to repository with its mandatory properties. It means when I'm highlighting the same object over the application it is not highlighting that object.

3)Sometimes QTP is taking too much time to add an object to repository. It is more than the normal time it should take.

Please let me know any patches are available to resolve these kind of problems.
Thanks in advance.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation