Re: QC Database and File Repository Growth (1504 Views)
Regular Advisor
mark_ford
Message 1 of 6 (1,504 Views)

QC Database and File Repository Growth

Quality Center Database Growth Estimates:

Here are some numbers I crunched from our data for another customer.  These are averages from my installation and thus may not be typical for all projects or installations. This is for the Database only and does not include File Repository growth.

If you add to your project between The database will increase between
0 and 500 records 0 MB and 3 MB
500 and 1,000 records 3 MB and 5 MB
1,000 and 5,000 records 5 MB and 10 MB
5,000 and 25,000 records 10 MB and 20 MB
25,000 and 50,000 records 20 MB and 30 MB
50,000 and 100,000 records 30 MB and 60 MB
100,000 and 250,000 records 60 MB and 150 MB
250,000 and 500,000 records 150 MB and 300 MB
500,000 and 2,500,000 records 300 MB and 1,250 MB
greater than 2,500,000 records greater than 1 GB
Regular Advisor
mark_ford
Message 2 of 6 (1,504 Views)

Re: QC Database and File Repository Growth

Quality Center File Repository Growth

The file repository folder mainly holds AttachmentsRich TextBPT snapshots, Test Resources, and QTP info (if you connect QTP to a Quality Center project).  There are a few other folders but those tend to be rather small.

Attachments - Attachments are stored the same as they are on your own machine.  So if you attach a 2 MB word file to a defect then it will store the attachment in the project's file repository folder as a 2 MB word file.  If a project has a lot of attachments (or very large attachments) then that project will take up more space on the file repository server than a project with none or very few attachments.  If testers record movies of the steps to recreate a defect using HP Screen Recorder or other software, these can create very large files and if attached to defects can increase the space needs on the file repository server accordingly.

Rich Text - If you use the Rich Text tab for a requirement then each one used creates a file in the file repository.  These aren't usually very large if you are just entering text but if you are pasting pictures or large items into the Rich Text tab then they can be larger than usual.  Again the more of these that are created, the more space will be needed on the file repository server.

BPT snapshots - If you upload or capture screen shots in your BPT components (Snapshot tab) these pictures are stored in the file repository.  The more of these you store the more space you will need.

Test Resources - This is a new module in QC 10.00.  Any resource files that you upload will be stored in the file repository as well.

QTP - if you run QTP tests from Quality Center then QTP script and run information is stored in the project's file repository folder.  If you run lots of QTP tests these can grow quite large.  We have a few projects that run automated tests all night long and these projects grow a couple of GB a week.  If you do a lot of QTP testing, this will consume more space than anything so watch out for that.

If you turn on Version Control or create Baselines this can also impact the storage needs on your file repository server.

Version Control - Each time a component is checked in a copy of the previous version is retained including all of its attachments.  Even if you check out an entity, make a one word change in the description, and check it back in - all of the attachments for that entity are duplicated.  Every time you check it in - even if you do not touch the attachments.  For example, say you create a new requirement with 10 MB worth of attachments.  That requirement is now consuming 10 MB of storage in the file repository.  You check it out, change something in the description, and check it back in.  Now that requirement is consuming 20 MB of storage.  Do it again and it is now consuming 30 MB and so on.  If you have a requirement that changes a lot then it might be best if it didn't have any attachments.  This applies to a project only if you have Version Control enabled on it obviously.  Keep in mind that Rich Text and BPT snapshots will be duplicated for an entity as well.

Baselines - Baselines are similar to Version Control.  Every time an entity is captured by a new baseline all of its attachments are duplicated.  So if the requirement with 10 MB of attachments is captured by a baseline then it will consume another 10 MB of storage.  Every time that requirement is captured by another baseline - another 10 MB will be consumed and so on.  As with VC, Rich Text and BPT snapshots will also be captured in the baseline for each entity as well.

So to summarize, the size of a project's file repository will increase depending on how many (or how large) the Attachments, Rich Text, and BPT Snapshots are.  In addition, if you run QTP tests from Quality Center, enable Version Control, or take Baseline snapshots your size needs will increase as well.
Occasional Contributor
ajoo
Message 3 of 6 (699 Views)

I am guessing this is no longer accurate (esp attachements duplicated for different versions/baselines) for QC 11.0 (ALM) with their new Smart Repository functionality. Am I right?

Frequent Advisor
Nick_NIPR
Message 4 of 6 (154 Views)

Hi, I came across your post and am interested more in the File Repository.  However, I'm having difficulty finding information in the documentation about it.  Where is the File Repository located exactly? 

Previously I thought that it would store the file assets in the database along with the other information for the test resources but it is not there, because it is in this file repo.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 5 of 6 (146 Views)

The location of the file repository was specified during the product installation and can also be found by logging in to the Site Admin UI and looking at BASE_REPOSITORY_PATH parameter on the Site Configuration tab.

Prior to version 11 (maybe prior to v10) file assets could be stored in the database. As of version 11 (or maybe it was 10) file assets could no longer be stored in the database and had to be moved to the file repository.

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
Frequent Advisor
Nick_NIPR
Message 6 of 6 (137 Views)

Thanks Trudy, I got into Site admin and found the path.  I can view (not with FTP as I saw in another post) the files but the lack of structure and detail is not going to working for me, is there a better way perhaps.

Few questions and issues I had if anyone knows.

Is there a best practice to updating a Test Resource Data Table programmatically?

Test Resource Scenario:

• Created New Resource of type Data Table named “test123”
• Uploaded an excel sheet with some rows and columns populated
• I can view this resource with the Resource Viewer

1. How does QC render the excel file to show the worksheet’s values?
    a. Does QC parse the excel sheet into an XML file?
    b. Is it possible to update the Test Resource Data Table using OTA?
        i. Without downloading the file, updating it, and uploading?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.