Re: QC 10 auto populate the Rich Text field of a Requirement (987 Views)
Collector
ToddGrant
Message 1 of 5 (1,047 Views)

QC 10 auto populate the Rich Text field of a Requirement

How can I auto populate the requirement Rich Text field?  Ultimately, I would like to embed tables to be completed by the end user when they create a New requirement.

I am using HTML and VBScript changes with the Workflow to alter the Comment field upon creation of a New requirement, does this method translate to the Rich Text field?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Fred_Gaumont
Message 2 of 5 (1,038 Views)

Re: QC 10 auto populate the Rich Text field of a Requirement

Not sure if it's different in QC10 vs.. ALM 11, but in ALM 11 it's a simple matter of defining a Rich Text template for each requirement type in the Project Customization.  When you create a new requirement, the rich text field is automatically populated (and this can contain one or more tables).

If you want to provide different templates for the same requirement type, e.g. based on some other attribute(s) of the requirement, then that can be done using workflow code.

For our situation, we define a number of sub-categories of some requirement types, and some of these can contain different templates. So what we do is to create 'template' requirements that contain the required information in the rich text field, and then we simply fetch the matching 'template' requirement and copy the rich text to the new requirement upon creation.  In this manner we can maintain the contents of the 'template' without having to go into the Customization.

Hope this helps!

Fred Gaumont

Please use plain text.
Collector
ToddGrant
Message 3 of 5 (1,008 Views)

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the feedback.  It may be a difference between QC 10 and ALM!  Those items you described don't exist in QC 10.  Rich Text isn't shown as its own field in the Project Entities, and I'm not allowed to create a new UDF that is of field type Rich Text.  Looking at Requirement Type, again no Rich Text field is shown. 

I'm curious if the feature is in QC but not divulged.  I would be very interested in seeing your slice of code that you apply templates to the Rich Text field.  That may spark some ideas.

Thank you,

Todd

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Fred_Gaumont
Message 4 of 5 (995 Views)

In ALM 11, the Rich Text Template is available on the Requirement Types page.

Rich Text itself isn't shown in the Project Entities, but is available as the RQ_REQ_RICH_CONTENT field via OTA.

If you want to create your own memo (rich text) field, you can create one by selecting 'New Memo Field' instead of 'New Field' (kind of tricky, it's hiding in the menu).

Again, not sure if this relates to QC 10, but hope it helps.

Fred

Please use plain text.
Collector
ToddGrant
Message 5 of 5 (987 Views)

Hi Fred,

Again, thanks for the information.  Based on the information you provided and me looking in QC 10, I am convinced this is an ALM feature. 

Looks like I will need to wait for the ALM deployment.

Todd

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation