Problem installing alm 11 on Windows 7(64bit) (19518 Views)
Occasional Visitor
cameron131
Message 1 of 9 (19,518 Views)

Problem installing alm 11 on Windows 7(64bit)

Sorry. I am really new on this ALM. I was asked to install this ALM 11, but obviously it won't work on Windows 7(64bit). I know this is because Windows 7(64bit) wasn't included in the System requirements. I read in some posts that says windows 7(64bit) will be able to work on patch 2.

I now have the installer that will successfully install it, but gives a message "HP ALM platform cannot be installed on Windows 7 Service Pack 1". How do I change it Service pack 2? Where do I get it?

Any input would be helpful. I'm really lost here. Please help. Thanks

Frequent Advisor
Steven Hulse
Message 2 of 9 (19,517 Views)

Re: Problem installing alm 11 on Windows 7(64bit)

Hi Cameron,

Unfortunately Windows 7 is still only in Service Pack 1. SP 2 hasn't been released yet. This is a good site to keep on top of Windows Service packs

Are refering to the Server Side piece or the client side piece? I do know that HP is in the process of getting 64bit OS to be supported in ALM11 but when that will happen? I'm not sure. Rumor has it will be in patch 2 for ALM.

If you must absolutly get ALM to run in Win 7 64bit, (Client Side) you could try and install the QCClient or ALM Explorer (Can't rememver exactly what it's called in ALM.) and be sure to have the Visual C++ 2005 SP1 update installed.

You can find the Visual C++ Redistributable and SP here and here.

I can't guarantee that will work or HP will support it on Win7 64bit. Another thing to keep in mind is if you are going to use an Oracle database, make sure the database itself is 32bit. The OS that the database runs on (if it's a seperate system) can be 64 but the actual database must be 32bit.

Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 3 of 9 (19,517 Views)

ALM v11 patch 2 is already available, and it DOES NOT include support for Windows 7 64-bit.

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
Trusted Contributor
warrenf
Message 4 of 9 (19,187 Views)

I got QC/ALM 11 server components installed on Windows 7 64-bit. After the install completes and runs the config wizard, naturally that fails so cancel it. Then go to the QC root installation path, mine was: 'C:\Program Files\HP\HP Application Lifecycle Management Platform' Edit the file 'run_after_finish.bat' in notepad or similar. Uncomment the line below (line 66 - I think) REM set SKIP_VALIDATIONS=-wOsValidator -wLicenseTypeValidator by deleting 'REM ' Then run the configuration again from the start menu. Note: A critical point is that QC/ALM 11 will still be unsupported on this platform, but at least you have an opportunity to install and scratch around and test. HTH
Occasional Visitor
lavie001
Message 5 of 9 (14,472 Views)

I have done everything mentioned by everyone here and still cannot get my QC started. When I lunch IE, the error meaase I get is that "IE cannot display the web page". Please, any futher help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 6 of 9 (14,462 Views)

@lavie001,
Please provide more information. Are you using a Windows 7 64 bit system? What version of QC are you trying to access? Are you trying to install the QC application on the Windows 7 system so that it is the application server for QC, or are you using the Windows 7 system to access QC running on some other web application server?
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
Regular Visitor
smercan
Message 7 of 9 (10,825 Views)

Hi,

I am trying to install ALM 11 trial version on Windows 7 with sp1 and getting the same problems as described above. I changed the after_the_finish file as suggested but still have the same problem, any more suggestions?

Thanks for advice in advance!

Regular Visitor
smercan
Message 8 of 9 (10,824 Views)

...and I forgot to add that I am only interested in the client part of the applikation not the server part but wasn't able to deselect or something like that during the installation, I want to test the solution and be familiar with the QC on my own way prior a job interview.

Please respond, my searching on the internet haven't been quite successful unfortunatly...

Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 9 of 9 (10,791 Views)

You say you are trying to install only the client part of the application. Does that mean you have a server that the client will connect to? You cannot use the client without a system somewhere running the server side of the application.

Note also when you talk about installing the "trial" version, that terminology generally refers to the server side application.

The "trial" version of the softare is not a trial for just the client side components. It is a trial version for the server-hosted application, and 1..n clients can connect to that.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.