Re: Options for importing Requirements, Tests, and Defects without MS Office (412 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Lonnie-Allen
Message 1 of 7 (424 Views)

Options for importing Requirements, Tests, and Defects without MS Office

We are going away from using office at my company.  (Long Story) When we finally move away we will be using Google Docs for all our office documentation needs. 

Because no one will have any office product (Excel and Word) I am looking for alternative methods that we can offer our user community to let them import to Quality Center.

Platform is Windows

QC is 11 ALM

Any suggestions or ideas no matter how far out there would be appreciated. The timeline for this is within the next six months.

Thanks in advance

Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 2 of 7 (420 Views)

Re: Options for importing Requirements, Tests, and Defects without MS Office

I haven't worked with Google Docs so I don't know what is feasible, but you could write your own programs/macros that would utilize the ALM Open Test Architecture API to add data to the ALM system.
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
Occasional Visitor
Lonnie-Allen
Message 3 of 7 (416 Views)

We had considered the OTA code. But where do we get the data from that it will read? We will have no office productes to populate. Google docs are a part of the Google Plus package and does not appear to have a possible hook we can call. 

Also this method must be pretty easy for the average user to be able to accomplish their tasks.

Good idea though shows that we are looking along the same line.

:)

Honored Contributor
john scarpino
Message 4 of 7 (412 Views)

Hi Lonnie,

I have used Google Docs  / Google Drive - and you need a good tool that can easily convert to and from .xls or .xlsx. Take a look at http://www.openoffice.org/ OpenOffice. You can still save your work as an .xls or import and export and its 100% Free.

Below is information from OpenOffice

Apache OpenOffice Product Description

Compatible with other major office suites, Apache OpenOffice is free to download, use, and distribute. Download it now, and get:

• Writer a word processor you can use for anything from writing a quick letter to producing an entire book.
  • Calc a powerful spreadsheet with all the tools you need to calculate, analyze, and present your data in numerical reports or sizzling graphics.
  • Impress the fastest, most powerful way to create effective multimedia presentations.
  • Draw lets you produce everything from simple diagrams to dynamic 3D illustrations.
  • Base lets you manipulate databases seamlessly. Create and modify tables, forms, queries, and reports, all from within Apache OpenOffice.
  • Math lets you create mathematical equations with a graphic user interface or by directly typing your formulas into the equation editor.

I hope this helps,

John Scarpino, D.Sc.

Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 5 of 7 (406 Views)

John,

Interesting idea. Does the QC Excel add-in register itself into OpenOffice, or would the users have to create their own version of the macro?
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
Honored Contributor
john scarpino
Message 6 of 7 (395 Views)

Hi Trudy,

Good point. I did not use the Excel Add-in with "Calc" Open Office. This may be a good project for someone. However it does great reading an extracted report from Quality Center / ALM.

I hope this helps.

John Scarpino, D.Sc.

Honored Contributor
Massimo De Rosa
Message 7 of 7 (350 Views)

Hi guys,

me and John work hardly on this task. Please have a look the this new post:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Quality-Center-Support-and-News/Quality-Center-Open-Calc-Add-in/td-p/61...

Have a nice day,

Massimo & John.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.