Object Lock error in QC (18620 Views)
Occasional Contributor
MVCI
Message 1 of 11 (18,620 Views)

Object Lock error in QC

While attempting to update design steps the user is receiving: The object is locked by: . This is the same user so it should not be locked. I have turned off the Lock_Timeout in the Site Admin but it still is not releasing the lock. Has anyone seen this before and how do you resolve this.
Honored Contributor
SreeKrishnan
Message 2 of 11 (18,620 Views)

Re: Object Lock error in QC

You can try to remove the record from the locks table for that project thru Site admin

Delete from locks where lk_user = 'username'

Honored Contributor
Rhonda Robinson
Message 3 of 11 (18,620 Views)

Items get locked in this way for various reasons. The most common reasons are: - User session timed out while the item was open, - User failed to logoff the project correctly (closed the browser using the X), - User's browser session was interrupted due to clicking a link in an email (for example), - Browser encountered an error and had to shut down.

Removing the lock from the locks table is the best method. Also, the lock may drop on its own when the Lock_Timeout is reached. Restarting the services would also remove the lock.
Occasional Contributor
MVCI
Message 4 of 11 (18,620 Views)

Great, thanks for the feedback. We have been having LDAP errors where the user is getting kicked out. As you mentioned the item gets locked and I have followed your suggestions and that has solved the problem. Thanks!
Honored Contributor
Vladimir Skrbek
Message 5 of 11 (18,620 Views)

One note:
Please keep in mind to return the Lock_Timeout back to the default value or some reasonable value.
This value should not be small because then you can get the trouble with editing of records with a lot of users.
Occasional Visitor
Sreekanth SAPBI
Message 6 of 11 (18,620 Views)

When i tried to set Status from Work in Progress to Fixed under Defects, The Error displaying The Object is Locked by: The same user logged In.
Solution:
Go to Attachments -> Take a Test Snap Shot of other window -> Now try to change status. It should work.
Occasional Contributor
Karthikeyan Cg
Message 7 of 11 (18,620 Views)

removing the lock is a good method.
If you have version control on, and the particular item s checkout, you can undo-checkout (right click - versions - undo checkout)
Thsi way you can release the object but the changes made by the previous person (who had teh lock) will be lost
Occasional Contributor
HimanshuJain
Message 8 of 11 (18,500 Views)

Hi Robinson,

I am also facing the same problem. Only thing i would like to confirm here is that when locks table is flushed, does it flush only idle users or all the users from that QC Instance.
Is there any way to kick out all the idle users after a specific time.
Honored Contributor
RoniRobinson
Message 9 of 11 (18,488 Views)

The Locks table is project specific.  So a complete "delete from locks" command will only release the locks from that single project and not all projects.  You can also qualify the command like 'delet from locks where user_name = 'abc'' in order to delete a specific lock without releaseing other locks.

The Idle Users issue is a different issue.  The Site Config parameter Wait_Before_Disconnect handles this.  When a user session is idle past the amount of time specified in this parameter, the user's session will be automatically disconnected.  It is not recommended to set this value less than 10 min.  You can also  cancel user sessions using the Site Connects tab within Site Administration.

Occasional Visitor
ggunti
Message 10 of 11 (16,416 Views)

Sreekanth, super - this is the perfect and quick solution
Regular Advisor
MACHMAN
Message 11 of 11 (16,388 Views)

Hi sreekanth what about locks in run or test modules how can we delete them other than writing sql query ..

can you explain in brief about attachements , snap shot method i didn't get that exactly 

Appriciate your help 

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.