Re: Migrating project from QC 10 to QC 11.52: users passwords are lost (872 Views)
Regular Advisor
jul_2
Message 1 of 3 (882 Views)

Migrating project from QC 10 to QC 11.52: users passwords are lost

Good Day,

I was migrating project from QC 10 to 11.52.

I have moved db and project files separately, restored project, upgraded it

There was no troubles but project was restored with wiped users passwords. Any ideas why did that happen?

Thanks

Respected Contributor
leobor
Message 2 of 3 (872 Views)

Re: Migrating project from QC 10 to QC 11.52: users passwords are lost

User's attributes including passwords are kept in Site Administrator schema. If you wanted to keep the whole environment in tact, you should have opted for upgrading SA schema along with the actual project.

Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 3 of 3 (860 Views)

Re: Migrating project from QC 10 to QC 11.52: users passwords are lost

When you say you "migrated", do you mean that you have a v10 environment and a separate v11.52 environment, and you had to copy the db/repository files from one environment to the other? And the environments don't share a database server?

And were you using QC authentication in your v10 environment (as opposed to LDAP authentication)?

As leobor said, the user password is stored in the Site Admin schema (if you are using QC authentication). When you restore a project, that includes only the usernames of the users. Restoring the project will automatically add that username to the Site, but it does not bring any of the other user attributes with it. Project schemas include only the username value.

There are a variety of ways to get the user passwords. Upgrading a copy of the Site Admin schema during the installation of 11.52 is one way. However if the environments don't share a database server then that can be tricky.

You might also be able to extract the information using the Site Admin API, or by querying the Site Admin schema directly, and then using the Site Admin API on the new system to add the information to the Site Admin schema. Passwords are usually encrypted, and I'm not sure how that would impact your efforts.

You should probably consult directly with HP support to get guidance on the best way to resolve the issue now.
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.