Re: Migrating from Test Director to ALM (582 Views)
Occasional Advisor
sriabarna
Message 1 of 9 (685 Views)

Migrating from Test Director to ALM

Dear Team,

Have worked on HP QC 9.2 User role long back. Now in my current project we are using test director.

We need to migrate it to ALM.

Can you please provide me the steps to follow or any documents for this migration?

Also please let me know for any prerequisites I need to look into?

Respected Contributor
Andrey_L
Message 2 of 9 (670 Views)

Re: Migrating from Test Director to ALM

Hi,

Generally there is no documentation related to migration from QC 9.2 to ALM

but if you want migrate from QC 9.2 to ALM 11 you just cant simple upgrade

i mean just restore project on ALM and upgrade it

but if you want migrate to ALM 11.50+ you need upgrade to QC 10 (as for me it recommended) or ALM 11

upgrade your project and only the upgrade to ALM 11.50+

you cannot upgrade directly to ALM 11.50+

Occasional Advisor
sriabarna
Message 3 of 9 (666 Views)

Hi Andrey...

Thanks for you quick reply!

Here I need to migrate from Test Director to HP ALM... I need the steps for it...

Also please let me know, whether I can directly migrate to HP ALM? Or I need to migrate to QC 9.2 and then to ALM? Please clarify me....

thanks...

Honored Contributor
john scarpino
Message 4 of 9 (659 Views)

The following should assist you with the migration from 8.0 to 9.0. http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM199186

Title: How to upgrade from TestDirector for Quality Center 8.x to 9.x
Document ID: KM199186
Product: Quality Center
Version:
Updated: 2006-Jun-13

TestDirector for Quality Center 9.x is a full install. This means that if TestDirector for Quality Center 8.x is installed, it needs to be uninstalled before proceeding to install TestDirector for Quality Center 9.x.
What steps should be taken to upgrade from TestDirector for Quality Center 8.x to 9.x?

Note : Quality Center 9.x is equivalent to Quality Center 9.0 or Quality Center 9.2

Solution

Upgrading from TestDirector for Quality Center 8.x to 9.x
1. Before installing TestDirector for Quality Center 9.x, read the Readme file for Mercury Quality Center 9.x

2. Back up your projects. Refer to Document ID 36165 - What needs to be backed up when backing up QC projects for more information.

3. Uninstall TestDirector for Quality Center 8.x, if you have it installed.

Note:
Uninstalling TestDirector for Quality Center 8.x will not delete the project repository or the Site Administrator schema. However, it is still recommmended that you do step 2.

4. Install TestDirector for Quality Center 9.x.

Note:
During the install of TestDirector for Quality Center 9.x, make sure to point to the existing Site Administrator schema and use it rather than overwriting it. It will also ask for a Site Administrator user name and password that will be used to log into the Site Administrator for the first time after the upgrade. You can use any already existing Quality Center 8.x userid (preferably someone that will perform as an admin). Also, the project directory should point to your existing domain repository.

5. Upgrade all QC 8.x projects to QC 9.x from the Site Administrator. Refer to Document ID 45959 - How to upgrade projects to be used in TestDirector for Quality Center 9.x for more information.
Related articles:
Document ID KM202967 - Best practices for installing Quality Center 9.2
Document ID KM191845 - What is the procedure for upgrading TestDirector (Quality Center)

I hope this helps.

John Scarpino, D.Sc.

Honored Contributor
john scarpino
Message 5 of 9 (658 Views)

After you are done with that the two follwing links should also assist you.

QC 9.2 to 10
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Quality-Center-Support-and-News/Migration-of-QC-9-2-to-QC-10-0/m-p/4714...

QC 10 to 11
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Quality-Center-Support-and-News/Issue-Upgrading-Migrating-from-QC-10-to...

Best regards,

John Scarpino, D.Sc.

Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 6 of 9 (648 Views)

"Also please let me know, whether I can directly migrate to HP ALM? Or I need to migrate to QC 9.2 and then to ALM? Please clarify me...."

You cannot migrate from Test Director directly to ALM v11.  The minimum version that can be upgraded/migrated to ALM v11 is QC v9.2.

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
Occasional Contributor
Robert Boone
Message 7 of 9 (592 Views)

Hi John

I hope I'm not asking a stupid question, but how do you find Document ID KM191845.  I have tried a number of searches, but haven't been able to find the document.

Regards

Rob

Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 8 of 9 (585 Views)

To find the articles you need to access the HP support site
http://support.openview.hp.com/
You have to have a valid support contract and register an account to access the site.

Once logged in, go to Self Solve and enter the KM... as the keyword to search for. You can set additional search criteria for product names, versions and OS. Then click Search.
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
Occasional Contributor
Robert Boone
Message 9 of 9 (582 Views)

Thanks for responding.  At this point it must be because I haven't a valid Support Agreement, that the searches failed.

Regards

Rob

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.