How to Export/Import Test Cases in Qulaity Center from Excel using Quality Center (not from Excel) (14117 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Aneel Kumar
Message 1 of 16 (14,117 Views)

How to Export/Import Test Cases in Qulaity Center from Excel using Quality Center (not from Excel)

Can anybody, please let me know the step by step process - "How to Export/Import Test Cases in Qulaity Center from Excel using Quality Center (not from Excel)"?.
Honored Contributor
Vladimir Skrbek
Message 2 of 16 (14,117 Views)

Re: How to Export/Import Test Cases in Qulaity Center from Excel using Quality Center (not from Excel)

In HPQC 9.0 you can only export testcases from Quality Center to Excel. Just go to the TestPlan, menu View, select item Test Grid and then scheck all or some test cases and right click on records and select export.
But you can only export the viewed field. You cannot export Design steps.
Also there is not possible to import TestCases from Excel (from Quality Center).
Honored Contributor
john scarpino
Message 3 of 16 (14,117 Views)

Re: How to Export/Import Test Cases in Qulaity Center from Excel using Quality Center (not from Excel)

To import test cases the following link will help:
http://updates.merc-int.com/qualitycenter/qc90/msoffice/msexcel/index.html
Occasional Visitor
Aneel Kumar
Message 4 of 16 (14,117 Views)

Can anybody,

Please let me know the step by step process - "How to Export/Import Test Cases in Quality Center from Excel using Quality Center (not from Excel using Add/Plug ins.)"?.

Your response is very much highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aneel.
Honored Contributor
Rhonda Robinson
Message 5 of 16 (14,117 Views)

You have been given an answer.

You cannot import test cases from Excel to QC without using the Excel Add-in.

You CAN export Test Cases from QC to Excel -
1)Display the Test Plan module and select the Test Case you wish to export
2)Select the Design Steps tab
3)Right click and select Export > Excel
4)Repeat for each Test Case you wish to export.
NOTE: This cannot be done for multiple Test Cases at the same time.
Honored Contributor
Rhonda Robinson
Message 6 of 16 (14,117 Views)

Please look at the thread titled "Script to Export to Excel". This thread contains a downloadable VBA code file which may work for your purposes.
Honored Contributor
Vladimir Skrbek
Message 7 of 16 (14,117 Views)

If my or Rhonda asnwer isn't satisfied you then what are you asking for?

What do you mean? What are these words for:
"... Export/Import Test Cases in Quality Center from Excel using Quality Center ..."?

Best Regards
Occasional Visitor
Aneel Kumar
Message 8 of 16 (14,117 Views)

Hi,

Vladimir Skrbek and Rohnda Robinson,

Thanks for both of your responses and satisfied with answers.
Initially bit confused and Now I'm OK and clear.

Thank you,
Aneel.
Frequent Advisor
QC_Tester
Message 9 of 16 (14,117 Views)

Aneel,

If you have access to the Excel-Reports then try this query: You can post process it in excel--

SELECT TS_TEST_ID,TS_NAME,DS_STEP_ORDER, DS_DESCRIPTION, DS_EXPECTED, DS_STEP_NAME
FROM TEST, DESSTEPS
Where TS_TEST_ID = DS_TEST_ID
ORDER BY TS_TEST_ID, DS_STEP_ORDER

Occasional Visitor
Chris Liston
Message 10 of 16 (14,117 Views)

Brilliant reply from QC Tester, which I've parameterised to only export tests for a particular release as follows -
SELECT TS_TEST_ID,TS_NAME,DS_STEP_ORDER, DS_DESCRIPTION, DS_EXPECTED, DS_STEP_NAME
-- FROM TEST, DESSTEPS
-- Where TS_TEST_ID = DS_TEST_ID
-- ORDER BY TS_TEST_ID, DS_STEP_ORDER
FROM RELEASES /*Release*/
,RELEASE_CYCLES
,CYCLE
,TESTCYCL
,TEST
,DESSTEPS
where RELEASES.REL_NAME like '%@ReleaseName@' /*Release.Name*/
and RELEASE_CYCLES.RCYC_PARENT_ID = RELEASES.REL_ID
and CYCLE.CY_ASSIGN_RCYC = RELEASE_CYCLES.RCYC_ID
and TESTCYCL.TC_CYCLE_ID = CYCLE.CY_CYCLE_ID
and TEST.TS_TEST_ID = TESTCYCL.TC_TEST_ID
and TEST.TS_TEST_ID = DESSTEPS.DS_TEST_ID
ORDER BY TS_TEST_ID, DS_STEP_ORDER

If all releases are required, just put a '%' in the ReleaseName parameter when prompted.

Is anyone out there a real smarty-pants who could output the path and subject (with '\' between them) using the CONNECT TO, PRIOR, START WITH construct?

Have fun
Chris
Occasional Visitor
Aneel Kumar
Message 11 of 16 (14,099 Views)

Thanks to both of you guys.

I'm going to test this today and I appreciate your replays.

Thank you.
Occasional Visitor
Lathavrao
Message 12 of 16 (14,099 Views)

Hi,

The above details are very helpful.Thanks much for the experts on this info.
I am trying to explore the same details how to export testcases to Excel?
The query mentioned above gives the answer.

However I am looking to customize the query for the specific project I am workin on.Say I created all my testcases under main folder "Creditcard"(Testcases are created under subfolders of Creditcards).
How will I be able to see the tables that Qc has written these into so I can query it to get the list of all testcases under this folder?
Any information is highly appreciated.
Super Advisor
Punati
Message 13 of 16 (14,099 Views)

Hi,

can any one explain about Excel-Reports. Do we need any special privileges for this? Is this is related Database level?

Thanks,
Rao
Occasional Visitor
qc tester
Message 14 of 16 (14,099 Views)

Hi Aneel Kumar,
U need to install quality center add-in for importing testcases from excel.
After installing that Quality center add-in , Automatically in excel sheet it will show an option to "import to Quality center "

In excel sheet : Tools - Import to Quality center option will display.

Note: Quality center add-in you can find inside quality center help also

I hope this might help you.
Occasional Visitor
Arthur Nelson
Message 15 of 16 (14,099 Views)

Does anyone have a sample Excel file that they have leveraged for "import" into Quality Center v. 11.0?
Valued Contributor
Yordys Valenzuela
Message 16 of 16 (14,099 Views)

Try this.
Best regards
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.