Create a new project template in Quality Center 9 (2813 Views)
Advisor
Satya V
Message 1 of 5 (2,813 Views)

Create a new project template in Quality Center 9

Hi,

I am working project customization of Quality Center version 9. I have made lot of changes (adding custom fields, reorder feilds, label name changes, etc) in all the modules in Quality Center to meet my requirements. Moving forward, I want to use this project as baseline template for any new project.

1. How can I make the above project as a template called ABC?
2. How can I create a new project using ABC template without copying data?
3. How can I copy this project into different QC servers such as Development, Prod, etc.

Your help will be greately appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Satya
Regular Advisor
philippe lebacq
Message 2 of 5 (2,813 Views)

Re: Create a new project template in Quality Center 9

When you create new project, simply select the 'with copy from' option and point to your base project.
You are then able to choose what features you want to copy from the base.
Simply experiment a bit to discover the options that best suit you.
I created a 'template' domain where I keep my different project templates but this is not mandatory.
For point 3, see export/import & restore functions in project management of the site admin. Be carefull if you also have different database servers for D, P, Etc ...

I guess this is all documented in the QC9 admin guides...
Philippe.
Advisor
Satya V
Message 3 of 5 (2,813 Views)

Thank you philippe,

Yes, I do have two different DB instances. How does it work in this case - let us say I have a project template on development DB instance now I require to create a new project on production DB instance. What are the steps I need to go through?

Has anyone come across this scenario? Your help will be greately appreciated.
Esteemed Contributor
Venkat457
Message 4 of 5 (2,813 Views)

Satya,

You can export the .qcp template or project file from dev

right-click the project and choose Export Project or Export Template

Go back to PROD site admin and import the .qcp file.

Regards,
Venkat
Venkat
Advisor
Satya V
Message 5 of 5 (2,813 Views)

Venkat - thank you for your advice.

I have renamed the tab names in the Test Plan module (i.e. Test Script to Automation and Design Steps to Test Steps) in the above mentioned ABC project.When I created new a project using the ABC template, the tab label names in the Test Plan module does not have new label names. But all other fields have new labels as expected. Why the tab names did not change to new names in the new project? what could be the reason?

-Satya
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.