ALM Query builder for Excel report (3259 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Holm_1
Message 1 of 7 (3,259 Views)

ALM Query builder for Excel report

Hi,

we like to use ALM reporting to run reports / extracts for our requirements.
We did find tables like "REQ" in the ALM Query Builder for Excel reports to serve our needs,
but it looks like there are "hidden" tables that store some information that is presented in the
ALM GUI for an requirement that is not stored in the REQ table itself. Building a query by
'knowning' the tables works finally.
How can we get also those tables added into the "Query Builder" offered tables/fields to all users of ALM?

Many thanks ahead,
Holm.

Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 2 of 7 (3,243 Views)

Re: ALM Query builder for Excel report

All the information you need should be stored in the available tables. Not all information related to requirements is stored in the REQ table. What "hidden" tables specifically are you using?

Review the Database Reference documentation that comes with the product to see if you can discern the public tables you need to access to get the information you need.

Relying on "hidden" tables is a very bad idea. The information in those tables is for internal use only, and not supported for client access. HP could change those tables at any time and your queries could break.
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
Occasional Advisor
Holm_1
Message 3 of 7 (3,234 Views)

Many thanks for the fast reply.  We have identified some tables like those below to link requirements and releases / cycles etc. for the reports together. What I do not know if those are default or custom tables in ALM.  Anyway they are not visible in the query builder. Is there any way to get them added?

REQ_COVER

REQ_CYCLES

REQ_MULTIVALUE

REQ_RELEASES

REQ_TRACE

REQ_TYPE

REQ_TYPE_FIELD

REQ_TYPE_HIER_RULES

Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 4 of 7 (3,216 Views)

The vendor-supplied Database Reference documentation will tell you if the tables are provided by the vendor and if they are "shadow" tables or not intended to be utilized by end users directly.

You can add unlisted tables to the Excel queries. Just manually put the table names in the query like you would any other table name.

There does not appear to be a way to add unlisted tables to the Entities View.

Note that in ALM v11.0 patch 12 some of the table you listed are visible in the Entities View of the Excel report query builder, including:
REQ_COVER
REQ_TRACE
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
Occasional Advisor
Holm_1
Message 5 of 7 (3,192 Views)

Many thanks Trudy,

yes we know that we can access all DB tables via the reporting section, but this does not help the "standard users" like from business or QA / testing team who need to build new queries as needed for specialy cases. They should be able with the query builder to see all tables listed and click & drop the query together.

So for now the problem is still not fixed, looks like i need to open a support ticket.

Occasional Visitor
LintonSilva29
Message 6 of 7 (3,163 Views)

Hi to everyone!
How to configure Excel Query Builder to save the query result in spreadsheet out of Quality Center? Can anyone help me?

Many Thanks.

Holm_1 wrote:

Hi,

we like to use ALM reporting to run reports / extracts for our requirements.
We did find tables like "REQ" in the ALM Query Builder for Excel reports to serve our needs,
but it looks like there are "hidden" tables that store some information that is presented in the
ALM GUI for an requirement that is not stored in the REQ table itself. Building a query by
'knowning' the tables works finally.
How can we get also those tables added into the "Query Builder" offered tables/fields to all users of ALM?

Many thanks ahead,
Holm.

Occasional Advisor
Holm_1
Message 7 of 7 (3,156 Views)

Sure. But exactly is your problem?

Once you choose as report type "Excel Report" you can specific in the "Configuration" tab, "Generation Settings" the filename of the excel as well with an checkbox tell ALM to open the file after generation.

When you generate your report excel will then open automatically.

What really is great is also the option to implement VBA code right into this excel file to transform the data right the way into Charts or Pivot tables or whatever else you need.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.