Re: ALM - Cannot import XML file to Business Models (3163 Views)
Visitor
ALM; Business Model mod
Message 1 of 14 (4,113 Views)

ALM - Cannot import xml file to Business Models

I am working in ALM (Application Lifecycle Management) 11 in the Requirements module Business Models. I am trying to import a xml file but get the following error:

"Import Failed. Exception while posting model '616ad3d0-d164-11df-560e-e9c92566beeb'. Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Attached is a screenshot of the error. Any help would be appreciated.
Advisor
JimmyQC
Message 2 of 14 (4,032 Views)

Re: ALM - Cannot import xml file to Business Models

[ Edited ]

I have have not seen your issue before but here is what it says in the ALM 11 manual:

Business Process Models File Import

To work with business process models in ALM, you must first create models

in standard BPMN or EPC modeling tools, and export them to files.

ALM supports the following model and file formats:

BPMN 1.1 models exported to XPDL 2.0/2.1 files

EPC 7.1 models exported to AML files (.xml extension)

During the import process, you can map model and activity attributes to

ALM memo or string fields. This enables you to edit attribute values in ALM.

For each model that you import to ALM, business process model entities are

created under the selected folder: an entity for the model as a whole, and an

entity for each of the model’s activities.

Note:

If you use Metastorm ProVision, you should export models using the

Independent Sub-Process

option.

Occasional Advisor
Glenda Grant
Message 3 of 14 (3,703 Views)

Hi, 

From what I have been reading, I believe you have to have Visio 2010 if that is the tool you are using.

Let me know if you have more information on this because I am currently using Visio 2007.

Thanks,

Occasional Visitor
srisankar001
Message 4 of 14 (3,554 Views)

Hy,

I am also facing same problem. Please provide me the solution or provide me the valid XPDL file (sample) to import.

Thanks,

Srisankar

Valued Contributor
manibaig
Message 5 of 14 (3,447 Views)

Bump..

I am facing the same issue. I am not able to upload business models created in Visio 2003.

Respected Contributor
Andrey_L
Message 6 of 14 (3,442 Views)

Hi,

Please specify alm version and pach level

Can you provide server and client logs?

also please share model wich you want to import

Advisor
Knvmkr
Message 7 of 14 (3,434 Views)

Did you try Bizagi old version which creates .xpdl 2.1... This worked for me.

Frequent Advisor
Mark McNamara
Message 8 of 14 (3,405 Views)

HP ALM 11 relies on the older BPMN 1.1 standard, so if your product doesn't use BPMN 1.1 then it won't work.

N.B. The old version of Bizagi does work but the newer version Bizagi 2.3 doesn't.

An enhancement request was raised in Nov 2011: http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1276989

Occasional Visitor
ruchigupta
Message 9 of 14 (3,208 Views)

Bizagi 2.1 can be downloaded from below link. Biz Models created in this version successfully get imported to ALM and work perfect.

http://download.bizagi.com/modeler/2.1.0.1/BizAgiPMSetup.exe

Happy Testing! :)

Advisor
Omsracer
Message 10 of 14 (3,163 Views)

Re: ALM - Cannot import XML file to Business Models

I am trying to import a set of BPM's for a client using an .xml file.  However when I select the file and try to import it  I get a message saying:

'No Models are selected for Import.  Select at least one model' see attached.  As this file has been created by my client from an ARIS system I am unable to determine the problem.  Presumably the file is not in the right format, I am guessing. I am trying to find out the package used to create and export the file and will update when I know.  Any ideas on why this process does not recognise my file would be greatly appreciated as this process in central to their development process.

Advisor
Omsracer
Message 11 of 14 (3,144 Views)

Re: ALM - Cannot import XML file to Business Models

Further to my previous post, I tried importing a .xml filr produced from Aris and got the message in the attached file. Anyone know what is wrong.

Occasional Advisor
Opentec
Message 12 of 14 (2,939 Views)

The problem is not version, the problem is in your file, has any item not connected or connected to two boxes at once.

Recommend removing some boxes go to import and test to see which box with this problem.
Occasional Visitor
HJScherer
Message 13 of 14 (1,183 Views)

Bpm-x (www.bpm-x.com) offers integration with HP ALM (Quality Center) for all leading modeling tools such as ARIS 7.x/9.x, IBM Rational System Architect, ProVision, CaseWise, MEGA, iGrafx, Sparx System Architect, Visio 2010/2013 and others. BPM-X converts the native tool model formats or standards such as XPDL or BPMN into the HP ALM format.

Also it translates the different versions to fit into HP ALM required format. along loading the model into the requirements BPM-X offers a cool feature to generate linearized test cases with a technology called model-based testing (MBT). By this approach the test cases are automatically generated and loaded into HP ALM. Please refer also to our blog http://blog.bpm-x.com/?tag=model-based-testing

Frequent Visitor
MichaelJFolwer
Message 14 of 14 (1,145 Views)

BPM-X offers a smart integration between all popular modeling tools such as ARIS, CaseWise, Visio, Sparx Enterprise Architect, IBM BlueWorks Live, OpenText ProVision and many others or BPM systems like TIBCO, Appian, Pega, WebSphere with HP ALM (QualityCenter, QC).

The integration supports:

• Generating test cases by model-based testing automated from business process models (EPC, BPMN, UML, Swimlane or any other modeling language)

• Combination of requirements coming between a modeling tool and HP ALM

• Reverse decomposition to have real end-to-end testes out of complex business architectures down to implementation levels

• Generating of BPMN models to be loaded into HP ALM requirements

By using the HP ALM web services REST API BPM-X can bi-directionally access all relevant data. More information you can find at http://www.bpm-x.com/solutions/model-based-testing-for-erp.html or http://blog.bpm-x.com/?s=ALM

Btw, as I can see integration with HP ALM by Catchlimited is discontinued.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.