ALM 11.0 - Microsoft EXCEL Add-In - not working (27073 Views)
Occasional Contributor
JRVP
Message 1 of 26 (27,073 Views)

ALM 11.0 - Microsoft EXCEL Add-In - not working

Hi there,

We  have installed ALM 11.0 and we have problems for exporting data from Excel.

we have followed the procedure for the Add-in installation without error messages! but  when we try to export data

clicking « the Export to ALM» button nothing happens!!

In the installation instructions, it's indicated :

Install the HP ALM Client registration add-in, but this file do not exist in the page.(?)

Anyway we downloaded the add-in for HP ALM 11.0 (build number 11.0.0.36) and normally everything is good because no error messages.

In the Microsoft Excel Add-in Guide ( pag 12) is indicated at the point 9.: 'Configure your Microsoft Excel security setting' but

what would be the setting?

So, If someone have any idea of how to resolve this issue, I will appreciate your help!

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 2 of 26 (27,005 Views)

Re: ALM 11.0 - Microsoft EXCEL Add-In - not working

" Install the HP ALM Client registration add-in," - This is listed on the main add-in page that you access by clicking the Add-ins Page link on the http://<sever>/qcbin page.

Were you using a previous version of QC and exporting successfully from Excel?

What OS is your workstation and what version of Excel?

When installing the add-in were you logged on to the workstation as a user with administrative privileges?

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rpatti
Message 3 of 26 (26,998 Views)

[ Edited ]

The installation instructions for HP ALM Microsoft Excel Add-in state [step 2] :

• Install the HP ALM Client Registration add-in on your HP ALM client machine. For more information, refer to the HP ALM Add-ins page.

Problem is the HP ALM 11 Add-ins page doesn't list any such add-in to install. Hence the confusion.

However, if you are running ALM 11, on the main HP ALM Add-ins page you will see:

HP Quality Center Connectivity

Enables you to integrate HP ALM with other tools.

That's the plug-in you need to install before you install the Microsoft Excel Add-in.

I believe they forgot to update their documentation.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 4 of 26 (26,993 Views)

With ALM QC v11 the Client Registration IS listed on the Add-ins page.  Refer to the attached image.

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rpatti
Message 5 of 26 (26,988 Views)

That option is not in my installation of ALM 11.

However I installed HP Quality Center Connectivy and the Excel/Word add-ins work perfectly.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 6 of 26 (26,982 Views)

rpatti -

That's odd!  Now I'm very curious.  What version/patch are you using and on what platform? 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rpatti
Message 7 of 26 (26,979 Views)

[ Edited ]

HP ALM 11.0.0.4504

Windows Server 2008 R2
SQL Server 2008 R2

Not sure about the patches, I have no visibility there as I'm not the admin.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 8 of 26 (26,970 Views)

If you login to a project and go to About > Help, and click the Additional Information button it will show you the patch level.

Our version number is 11.0.0.5154, and we are running patch level 2.  That would suggest we have a newer release than you (5154 vs 4504).  HP has already released SP2 (a.k.a. patch 4).  Perhaps you aren't seeing the link due to a "defect" in your version?

Regardless, as you noted, in previous versions to use the Add-ins one also had to install the Connectivity add-in, and their documentation for the Excel (and other) add-ins doesn't call it out any more with v11.  Since those add-ins need access to the OTA client, and the Connectivity add-in provides that also, using either the Connectivity add-in or the Client Registration could solve the problem in this case.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rpatti
Message 9 of 26 (26,967 Views)

Gotcha.

This is what I see when I click the Additional Information button:

HP Application Lifecycle Management 11.00

No patch is installed

Maintenance Key is [empty...?!]

Installation internal parameters (useful for support)

application server type     JBoss Application Server
IIS 
Initial value of jboss heap size (if JBoss used) 1536
Maximal size of jboss heap size (if JBoss used)  1536
License key       D:\License_files\Accenture.license
Display name       HP Application Lifecycle Management Platform
Product's version      11.00

Doesn't look very promising, does it?

What's the process to install patches? Should we request them to HP, or can we download them from their websit?

We don't really have an HP QC admin here, and I'm trying to solve a few issues we are having.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 10 of 26 (26,964 Views)

rpatti

We've gotten a bit off topic in this thread.  How about if you send me a message directly?  Click on my user name in these post and that will take you to my profile.  From there you can send me a message without posting a thread. :-)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rpatti
Message 11 of 26 (26,959 Views)

Agreed... and hopefully JRVP (original post) solved the problem.

However, in your profile page I cannot see your email nor a way to send you a messade directly...
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 12 of 26 (26,947 Views)

rpatti

You need to enable Private Message in your Profile under Preferences, and then there should be a "Send this user a private message" link over on the right hand side of the profile, under the Contact header.  I tried to send you a message that way, but got an error back that you don't have Private Messaging enabled.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rpatti
Message 13 of 26 (26,941 Views)

oh I feel such an idiot right now :)
you can tell I'm new around here..
will write you shortly, thanks a lot!
Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
Shli11
Message 14 of 26 (26,841 Views)

Hi,

here am facing the similar problem,below are the details:

1. Product Name and Number

HP Quality Center
Quality Center 11.00 Enterprise Edition

Extension  ---Version                             
Sprinter   --- 11.0.0.4504 

2. Operating System installed (if applicable)

Windows XP

3. Error message (if any)

---------------------------
HP ALM Microsoft Excel Add-in Error
General error: 'The current HP ALM client is outdated. Install the HP ALM Client Registration from the add-ins page .'
OK  

4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred

Installed the following add-in:

Download Add-in for HP ALM 11.00 (build number 11.0.0.36)

Registered in the Hp Passport system

Then, i got an above error message, while trying to upload an data from XL sheet

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 15 of 26 (26,831 Views)

You need to do exactly what the message tells you to do - Install the HP ALM Client Registration from the add-ins page .

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
Shli11
Message 16 of 26 (26,707 Views)

Thanks a lot.. now it works..

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
AlfonsoDVD
Message 17 of 26 (24,549 Views)

Hi

The Excel Addin need Microsoft Office to 32 bits.
verifies that.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Nila_25
Message 18 of 26 (20,813 Views)

Hi,

am getting below error when i try uploading test cases from excel. I am sure there is no issue with server since everybody else able to work perefectly, and other actions in ALM by me too.

I have installed the HP QC connectivity also excel add ins.

HP ALM Microsoft Excel Add-in Error
A general error has occured: 'Invalid server response'
OK

Please help me to resolve this.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
plguduru
Message 19 of 26 (19,514 Views)

Hi,

I followed the entire thread. I have done all the instructed steps. However, I am still unable to export to ALM.

I get the below error message:

'General error: 'The current HP ALM Client is outdated. Install the HP ALM Client Registration from the add-ins page.'

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 20 of 26 (19,490 Views)

@plguduru

Please provide more information.

What patch level of ALM do you have installed?  Go to Help > About and click the Additional Information button to get the patch number.  Note the patch number is different than the build number display on the About screen.

At what point in the export process do you get the error message?

Did you have a previous version of the ALM Client (or a previous version of QC) on the system successfully exporting from Excel?  If so, has there been an update to your ALM server since the last time the Excel export worked?

What is the OS and bit level of the system in use?

Please list out exactly what you have done when you say "I have done all the instructed steps".  Did you install the ALM Client?  Did you install the Connectivity Add-in?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
plguduru
Message 21 of 26 (19,437 Views)

Hi,

thank you for your response.

Sorry for the late reply. The error was fixed last evening. I once again, tried installing the ALM Client, connectivity add-in, but was of no use.  Finally, I  uninstalled the Excel Add-in and downloaded it again and it worked...Hmm..Weird!!

However, I would like to reply to all your questions.

The patch level is 10

After the Excel is opened, when I click on Export to HP ALM, the error appears.

there is no previous version of ALM client on the system

There was a server update on the weekend before this error has occured.

OS - Windows XP, bit level - 32

Yes, I did install the ALM Client and the Connectivity Add-in too

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 22 of 26 (19,428 Views)

If you had the Excel Add-in installed prior to the update to the server, then you would've needed to reinstall that after the update, as you ultimately discovered.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
JayBabu
Message 23 of 26 (19,203 Views)

Hi,

I am using HP ALM - Quality Center 11.00 and MS Excel 2007. I have installed the Excel Add-in by downloading it from Add-ins page.

When I click on the 'Export To HP ALM' button under 'Add-Ins' menu in MS Excel, I am getting the below error.

'General Error: 'The current HP ALM Client is Outdated. Install the HP ALM Client Registration from the Add-Ins page.'

Can someone help me in resolving the issue.

Regards

Jay

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 24 of 26 (19,164 Views)

Are you an administrator of the system you are using? What is the OS and bit level of the system?

As the message says, install the ALM Client Registration from the Add-ins page. Have you tried that?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
akella91
Message 25 of 26 (10,285 Views)

when trying to upload data from excel using the plugin in ALM 11 , General error has occurred : failed to Login

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation