Testing Notifications (99 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Jignasa Desai
Message 1 of 6 (99 Views)
Accepted Solution

Testing Notifications

I have email notifications configured with many workflow steps. To avoid test notifications being sent to end-users, I have disabled notifications in Development/QA instance using the notification parameter in server.conf. This makes troubleshooting notification-related errors very difficult. I don't want to go thru the pain of changing the "To" list in each and every notification to ensure it comes to admins only (Each time I clone Production data to Dev/QA)

Is there a simpler way to set the "To" parameter in all workflow notifications to a particular emailid for testing without opening every notification?
Trusted Contributor
Tim Brandish
Message 2 of 6 (99 Views)

Re: Testing Notifications

You could point your dev and qa to a test email server that does not send out the emails but routes them all to one account. That's what we do.
Respected Contributor
Darshan Bavisi
Message 3 of 6 (99 Views)

Since its a dev/qa instance and you want all notifications to come to the admin, so you many not need the email addresses of all the users, in that case, you can do so by changing all the email addresses to the one admin has (or yours to say), by running this query,

update knta_users set email_address=(select email_address from knta_users where username='admin')

This will make sure all emails come to the admin, even if any email server is used.
Honored Contributor
Sascha Mohr
Message 4 of 6 (99 Views)

When using the same mail address for all (test) users it is sometimes difficult to assess if mails would have been routed to the intended recipients.
If you are using e.g. Lotus Domino you could created a mail rule on the Domino-Server that routes all mails by a certain sender (the one defined in the server.conf of the dev server) to a quarantine database instead of the original recipients.
This way you still have the option to control the recipients in the quarantine db or with the notification history report.
Occasional Contributor
Jignasa Desai
Message 5 of 6 (99 Views)

Thanks for all your replies, I will get back on the solution which I implement!
Advisor
Paul Hess 281
Message 6 of 6 (99 Views)

I would be happy to avoid having all the emails flying around to begin with IF the notification history report could be expanded to provide visual access to some of the other pieces of the email such as the body of the text.
Has anyone tweaked the JSP for this to provide such information?
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.