Re: Staffing Profile Question (353 Views)
Occasional Advisor
dlcj21
Message 1 of 7 (455 Views)
Accepted Solution

Staffing Profile Question

Hi, I'm new to staffing profiles. The problem I'm having is around when I try to create a new staffing profile.  

When it's asking me for the Start Period, when I put in today's date, it pops up a search window with a "Start Date starts with" field and nothing is returned for period name.  

I followed some instructions I've seen on this forum to make sure that the periods exist in KNTA_PERIODS and KNTA_PERIOD_GROUPS and it appears that there are periods available through 2019 but none are showing up when I search for for them in the popup and clicking "show all possible values" in the popup doesn't return anything either.  I also had our admin run the following sh kGenPeriods.sh -startYear 2014 -endYear 2024 -commit on the PPM Server to no avail. 

Is there some other dependency I'm missing?

Advisor
Vineet Shiva Kumar
Message 2 of 7 (397 Views)

Re: Staffing Profile Question

Take a look into the PPM_FISCAL_PERIODS table. You might need to run the kGenFiscalPeriods.sh script to generate the missing fiscal periods!

----------------------------------------------------------------
++ Remember to give Kudos to answers..! (click the KUDOS star)

Occasional Advisor
dlcj21
Message 3 of 7 (390 Views)

Thanks I will look into running that script, I'll have the server admin send me the code inside but in the meantime, I'm not seeing a table specifically named PPM_FISCAL_PERIODS.

I do see PPM_FISCAL_PERIODS_LOC and PPM_FISCAL_PERIODS_NLS though.  Am I missing a table?

Honored Contributor
Utkarsh_Mishra
Message 4 of 7 (386 Views)

PPM_FISCAL_PERIODS is a view whereas PPM_FISCAL_PERIODS_LOC and PPM_FISCAL_PERIODS_NLS are the actual tables.

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
Occasional Advisor
dlcj21
Message 5 of 7 (353 Views)

Unfortunately I'm still not having any luck.  After running that script, there are still no start dates to choose from.  I looked through the user guide and it shows how to create the staffing profile but I can't find anything about how to get the dates to show.

If you could point me to a document that would be very helpful.

Occasional Advisor
dlcj21
Message 6 of 7 (348 Views)

I think I uncovered the root of the problem.  I had the server admin send me the code for the kGenPeriods.sh and it looks like someone commented out all of the code back in 2010.  So when I ran it and it finished we assumed that it ran successfully but it wasn't really running anything.

Looking at other scripts I was able to determine which lines to uncomment.

I ran the script and it wrote everything to the log but upon trying to insert them into the database, it throws an error: table or view does not exist.  See log below.  I can't determine exactly what table is trying to be called but if it's KNTA_PERIOD_GROUPS, that table is definitely there so why it would throw this error I'm puzzled.  Any ideas?

--------------------------------

INFO: number of knta_period_groups records to insert: 128
java.sql.BatchUpdateException: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwBatchUpdateException(DatabaseError.java:566)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatement.executeBatch(OraclePreparedStatement.java:9365)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatementWrapper.executeBatch(OracleStatementWrapper.java:210)
at com.kintana.core.server.tools.FiscalPeriodGenerator.doPersist(FiscalPeriodGenerator.java:832)
at com.kintana.core.server.tools.FiscalPeriodGenerator.runGenerate(FiscalPeriodGenerator.java:585)
at com.kintana.core.server.tools.FiscalPeriodGenerator.run(FiscalPeriodGenerator.java:300)
at com.kintana.core.server.tools.FiscalPeriodGenerator.main(FiscalPeriodGenerator.java:4107)
ERROR: period groups doPersist() raised SQLException: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

com.kintana.core.server.tools.FiscalPeriodGenerator$GenPeriodException: period groups doPersist() raised SQLException: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

at com.kintana.core.server.tools.FiscalPeriodGenerator.doPersist(FiscalPeriodGenerator.java:837)
at com.kintana.core.server.tools.FiscalPeriodGenerator.runGenerate(FiscalPeriodGenerator.java:585)
at com.kintana.core.server.tools.FiscalPeriodGenerator.run(FiscalPeriodGenerator.java:300)
at com.kintana.core.server.tools.FiscalPeriodGenerator.main(FiscalPeriodGenerator.java:4107)

----------------------------------------------------------

Occasional Advisor
dlcj21
Message 7 of 7 (334 Views)

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to post that I figured out the issue here.  kGenPeriods.sh was the method for generating periods in PPM version 7.5.  In 8.0 kGenPeriods.sh was replaced by kGenFiscalPeriods.sh. 

This explains why the code in kGenPeriods.sh was commented out.  The previous admin probably did that since it was no longer a valid shell script.

This thread helped me identify the problem for those interested or if you run across the same issue:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Project-and-Portfolio-Management/kGenFiscalPeriods-sh-does-not-work/m-p...

Once performing the steps listed here, kGenFiscalPeriods.sh worked for me and my fiscal periods generated, and now my staffing profile issue is resolved.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.