Re: Project Type security (120 Views)
Advisor
Carolyn Barmeier
Message 1 of 7 (120 Views)

Project Type security

I have create two different workflows/request types/project types/ I want one group of people to use one and another the other/ I do not want either group to be able to access each others projects. I have put security on request type, project type and projects, but the users from each group can see each others projects. How can I restricted access? The users all have the access grant of View All Projects because they must be able to view all projects within their project type regardless of which user created it.

Thanks,

Carolyn
Honored Contributor
Vasily Aksenov
Message 2 of 7 (120 Views)

Re: Project Type security

it seems that you can not do this
Honored Contributor
Erik Cole
Message 3 of 7 (120 Views)

Hi Carolyn,

We've run into this as well...if you give someone enough project mgt access to do anything at all on their projects, then you cannot restrict them from viewing other projects as well.
Trusted Contributor
Tim Brandish
Message 4 of 7 (120 Views)

you could always have a separate instance for each group.
Advisor
Carolyn Barmeier
Message 5 of 7 (120 Views)

OK, what I found is that I take away View All Projects from users, (leave View Projects) and the project type security is set to Only participants (Project Managers, Summary Task Owners, Assigned Resources, Assigned Resource Groups, Stakeholders, and Process Participants) not all users can view the project except those under Config Participants. The problem is that I am not sure how I have restricted users by taking away there ability to View ALL Projects. I am in the mist of testing that now. I am also not positive what the security on the request type is for and if I need it. I may just need to make the project type secure.
Honored Contributor
Erik Cole
Message 6 of 7 (120 Views)

Carolyn,

I'm interested to hear the results of your testing. What I am seeing here (7.1SP4) is that with only a DM license and View Projects access grant, I can still view ALL projects. Even when I have project type security set to Participants only.
Advisor
Carolyn Barmeier
Message 7 of 7 (120 Views)

Erik,

I put security on the request type (all security groups for a certain department), under the User Access tab, then I set the project type to Only Participants. No user in the system has View All Projects. At the project level, I can further narrow it down by adding specific security groups or users to Configure Participants. Now, if I sign in as a user that is not in the security groups identified on the request type, I can not see proejcts created using that request type.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.