Do you use PPM for code deployment in mid/large enterprise? (680 Views)
Regular Advisor
bzdafro
Message 1 of 6 (680 Views)

Do you use PPM for code deployment in mid/large enterprise?

I work for a large company that has been using PPM & PVCS for over 10 years.   We are upgrading to PPM 9.12 this month.   After the upgrade we will be migrating all of our deployment workflows (over 80) to demand layer.  We will be trying to leverage more scripts (ant, powershell, unix) and standardize more of our processes to make it easier for application teams to automate their code deployments.   Our current process for creating custom workflows for applications is very time consuming (we have to meet with teams, document their deployment process, design a workflow, hard code source and destination servers on the workflow steps, setup workflow security, object types, validations, etc).  If its WIndows servers, we have to install Cygwin etc.    It can take 1-3 months to rollout a custom workflow for teams.     Another part we struggle with is our SCM tool.  We currently use Serena PVCS, which does a good job of storing source code.  However, it is very dated and lacks refactoring and has limited IDE integration.   As it sits right now, users cannot delete or rename files in their respositories, and there is no sandbox.   From an administration standpoint, PVCS does not off an easy way to report on repository usage, globally add users to repositories,  or retire code after specified years.   I was wondering how other companies are using PPM for code deployments, as well as what SCM tool is being used.  There are a lot of open source SCM tools, but most are not designed for enterprise without additional add-ons etc.  Git, Mercurial,etc   Any information would be greatly appreciated.  I would really like to learn how other companies are managing this.  Look forward to hearing from everyone. 

Respected Contributor
Raj Ghimire
Message 2 of 6 (671 Views)

Re: Do you use PPM for code deployment in mid/large enterprise?

We have been using PPM Deployment functionalities for most of our code deployments for multiple years now.  Along with the PPM extensions available, we have a Lot of our own Customized objects and PKg WFs for Deployment automations along with integration with multiple kinds of version controls.  You will be surprised to know how many organizations are utilizing it that way- most of them probably started durign Kintana/ITG days cause HP seems to have side tracked that portion of the business a bit probably because of other interests.

Occasional Advisor
SameetPatro
Message 3 of 6 (514 Views)

Hi,

Can you provide some guidance on integration of PVCS with HP PPM. I too have to integrate PVCS with PPM. Your inputs would be really helpful.

Regards,

Sameet Patro

HP Expert
randull
Message 4 of 6 (505 Views)

Hi Sammet Patro,

There are seeded object types like "PVCS File Migration" that you could inspect the commands and figure out how to implement the integration of your version control system.

PPM can integrate with any version control system that has a command line interface. If any of these has command-line interface that PPM can call, then the integration is possible.

Best regards,
Randall

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
"If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
Occasional Visitor
anishhshah
Message 5 of 6 (433 Views)

Hi

How do I integrate ant scripts with PPM tool to do the SOA deployment or PPM can't support ant script integration ?

Honored Contributor
Jason Nichols KY
Message 6 of 6 (426 Views)

As was mentioned before, anything that you can do from a command line, you can configure PPM to do.  I'm not familiar with ant scripts, so I can't give you any specifics around that, but with the ksc_connect/ksc_exit commands, you can put any commands between that you would normally issue after you make a telnet/ssh connection to the server.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.