Re: Customizing TIme Sheets (232 Views)
Advisor
sangliraja
Message 1 of 8 (283 Views)

Customizing TIme Sheets

Hi All,

I am very sure of that customizing features of timesheets in PPM is very much limited. I am here for a query that i think some of you might have faced before. I have a system that tracks the resources time in and time out. Now would like to port the data from that system and give a controlled time entry in PPM.

Use Case: Resource A uses the Clocking System and enters office at 9:00 AM and leaves office at 6:00 PM. So totally the resource spent 9 hours in office. At end of each day there will be an interface module that i will be able to write to pull that information from other system into PPM saying that resource A was in office 9 hours yesterday. Now comes the actual problem. When resource A login to PPM to enter timesheet. i would like to populate that 9 hours in the total time of the timesheet for the day in the week and also should not allow the resource to enter other than 9 hours (lesser or more not allowed).

Is it possible to customize timesheet to do that.

Thanks
Sangiliraja.P

Please use plain text.
sojikuriakose
Message 2 of 8 (239 Views)

Re: Customizing TIme Sheets

Hi everyone,

Any inputs on this please?

Regards,

Soji Kuriakose

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Utkarsh_Mishra
Message 3 of 8 (232 Views)

You can try to write a timesheet rule (check time mgmt configuration guide); wherein if the total time for day is greater then 9 or as per your external system feed then "Don't allow user to submit the timesheet and show an information/error dialog box".

Secondly you can have any report or portlet for the timesheet approverm, who check before approving the timesheet, this report/portlet will show any discrepancies like if more time is logged or less.. etc.

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Etienne_Canaud
Message 4 of 8 (226 Views)

Hi,

One way to do that if you are on PPM 9.2+ is to leverage the TM REST Web Service to automatically create & update users' timesheets so that their timesheets are already created and the Clocking System data is already populated when they log to PPM.

However this will require to write your REST Client outside of PPM, eventually on a dedicated server if the clocking System cannot host your REST client.

Also, for preventing them to log some extra time you'll have to rely on time sheet rules - see the reply from Utkarsh.

Thanks,

Etienne.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
sangliraja
Message 5 of 8 (209 Views)

Hi Utkasrh,

Timesheet policies cannot help me as different users with same policy may not work same amount of time every day. The timesheet policy cannot be created for every user seperately and that changes every day.

please correct me if i am understanding correctly on your solution.

Thanks
Sangiliraja.P
Please use plain text.
Advisor
sangliraja
Message 6 of 8 (208 Views)

Hi Etienne,

I think TM web service can help to create the timesheets, but timesheet policy defintely cannot address my issue. Should be something which has to be customized i think

Thanks
Sangiliraja.P
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
KasturiG
Message 7 of 8 (65 Views)

Hi Etienne_Canaud,

We want to integrate a separate user interface (simpler timesheet design) with PPM. We want the project id and staffing data to be extracted from PPM and displayed on the timesheet user interface for the user to clock time next to an already populated project id. Once that is done, the timesheet information from this interface should be reflected back in PPM.

Is it possible to enable this interaction between PPM and the interface? Please guide. How can the web services be used for this?

Do we need additional infrastructure for this setup or the PPM infrastructure will suffice (except to host the user interface which we will need)?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Etienne_Canaud
Message 8 of 8 (58 Views)

There's no easy answer to that as I don't know what the host of user interface is, nor what is the authentication mechanism you use for PPM.

However, if you already have a server for hosting the new UI I don't expect that you'll need anything. You could also host it in PPM as a JSP or an HTML file, which would be easier, not even require an extra server, and would solve your authentication issues (but users would need to first authenticate in PPM to have access to the page with the new UI).

One problem however is that in PPM 9.2X don't think there's an officially available Staffing Profile or Project REST interface (only some SOAP web services), so you might need to write some custom code to hit the PPM DB directly. Since this is some read-only operation, that should not be a problem from a supportability perspective.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation