Automating password encryption or can I allow user to update just a few environment passwords? (472 Views)
Regular Advisor
bzdafro
Message 1 of 6 (472 Views)

Automating password encryption or can I allow user to update just a few environment passwords?

I have used the kEncrypt.sh to generate encrypted password.  Then drop the first and last 3 characters (#!#) and update the password in an environment.     I would like to create a workflow that will automate this.   Is it possible to pass the entire encryption to the update statement or must you drop the first 3 and last 3?   Because I am not sure of an easy way to drop the last 3 without some crazy awk or sed.   (Plus I would prefer not to mess around with cutting characters).   Any suggestions or better ways to perform this?  I need to allow some users to update a few passwords in PPM.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jim Esler
Message 2 of 6 (469 Views)

Re: Automating password encryption or can I allow user to update just a few environment passwords?

We have a request type for this function. The commands that encrypt the new value and place it in a temporary token are:

./kEncrypt.sh -t "[REQD.VP.RUNTIME_PASSWORD]" | grep "\#\!\#" | sed 's/#\!#//g'
ksc_set ENCRYPTED="[EXEC.OUTPUT]"

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Celil
Message 3 of 6 (427 Views)

Re: Automating password encryption or can I allow user to update just a few environment passwords?

what is your system? grep & sed are linux commands
Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
director@ppmdiary.com
director@isframeworks.com
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jim Esler
Message 4 of 6 (424 Views)

We run on AIX servers. grep and sed are also available in a Cygwin environment which, I assume, would be available on a Windows server that is running PPM.

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
bzdafro
Message 5 of 6 (395 Views)

That should work.  Do you run an update script to update a PPM environment password or do you pass the token to a script to run?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jim Esler
Message 6 of 6 (362 Views)

We create a script with the appropriate values with ksc_begin_script / ksc_end_script, then execute it with a sqlplus command.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation