Automating password encryption or can I allow user to update just a few environment passwords? (559 Views)
Regular Advisor
bzdafro
Message 1 of 6 (559 Views)

Automating password encryption or can I allow user to update just a few environment passwords?

I have used the kEncrypt.sh to generate encrypted password.  Then drop the first and last 3 characters (#!#) and update the password in an environment.     I would like to create a workflow that will automate this.   Is it possible to pass the entire encryption to the update statement or must you drop the first 3 and last 3?   Because I am not sure of an easy way to drop the last 3 without some crazy awk or sed.   (Plus I would prefer not to mess around with cutting characters).   Any suggestions or better ways to perform this?  I need to allow some users to update a few passwords in PPM.

Honored Contributor
Jim Esler
Message 2 of 6 (556 Views)

Re: Automating password encryption or can I allow user to update just a few environment passwords?

We have a request type for this function. The commands that encrypt the new value and place it in a temporary token are:

./kEncrypt.sh -t "[REQD.VP.RUNTIME_PASSWORD]" | grep "\#\!\#" | sed 's/#\!#//g'
ksc_set ENCRYPTED="[EXEC.OUTPUT]"

Honored Contributor
Celil
Message 3 of 6 (514 Views)

Re: Automating password encryption or can I allow user to update just a few environment passwords?

what is your system? grep & sed are linux commands
Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
director@ppmdiary.com
director@isframeworks.com
Honored Contributor
Jim Esler
Message 4 of 6 (511 Views)

We run on AIX servers. grep and sed are also available in a Cygwin environment which, I assume, would be available on a Windows server that is running PPM.

Regular Advisor
bzdafro
Message 5 of 6 (482 Views)

That should work.  Do you run an update script to update a PPM environment password or do you pass the token to a script to run?

Honored Contributor
Jim Esler
Message 6 of 6 (449 Views)

We create a script with the appropriate values with ksc_begin_script / ksc_end_script, then execute it with a sqlplus command.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.