MicroServer gen8 upgrade (245 Views)
Occasional Visitor
msilviu
Message 1 of 3 (245 Views)

MicroServer gen8 upgrade

Hello guys,

I just received a Hp ProLiant Microserver gen8 with 2 gb ram and intel celeron dual core processor.

my question is next:

With a good PCI express video card and  Intel Xeon E3-1220V2 cpu can i use it for playing games ? 

or could you please sugest me a more compatible Cpu for it and a Graphic card for it ? 

Kind Regards,

Silviu

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
VBO
Message 2 of 3 (194 Views)

Re: MicroServer gen8 upgrade

No suffisent memory for me.

1) Install a SSD on the optical Sata port. (work fine)

2) Yes, change CPU

3) For the graphic card, remember you have a 150W Power Supply.... Maybe you can add a GT640, but look a Slim Graphic card without any Power connection to add.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jimmy Vance
Message 3 of 3 (174 Views)

Re: MicroServer gen8 upgrade

Take a look at this thread over on the homservershow.com forums. Shows most of the CPU's that have been tried in the MicroServer Gen8

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/?p=62204

As stated, remember this system only has a 150 watt pwer supply. Oh, and no sound card for your games. I have tried one of the no-name $10 USB sound cards and they work fine.

my standard disclaimer: none of these CPU mods are supported by HP

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation