MicroServer Gen8 is noisy (15926 Views)
Occasional Visitor
psikey
Message 76 of 288 (5,648 Views)

Re: MicroServer Gen8 is noisy

[ Edited ]

Ref: "3) Even with the supported OS'es: The B120i is a "fake RAID" controller. If it goes bad your chances for successful data recovery are limited (you'd need another B120i to connect the disks to). Not an issue in AHCI mode..."

Not actually true. The drives will plug into my HP P222 RAID card and be recognised.

Also, if you use the B120i as a group of single RAID0 drives they can each be accessed as NTFS drives when connected to another WIndows PC.

I started one of the early threads on the fan issue: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6032-g8-microserver-be-aware-of-fan-issue-add-in-c...

My G8 with updated Xeon E3-1265LV2 45W CPU is currently working quiet (6% fan) with 4 x 4TB WD RED drives plus a 120GB Intel 520 SSD in the optical bay. Each drive is configured as separate single disk RAID0 volumes with the SSD being the boot drive. I then use Stablebit DrivePool to create a single large storage space across the 4 x 4TB drives with folder duplication as needed. This is a Windows 8 Pro setup so no help for Linux users.

The G8 does obviously work fine with my HP P222 card for the storage drives and the single SSD still on the B120i optical port but I don't need the extra space at the moment (via the rear mini-SAS port extender) prefering lower power consumption so I'm not using the P222 card yet (adds ~20w to standby power). Plus with the P222 being passive cooled and monitored by iLO4 it does put the idle fan speed higher to ~ 9-16% depending on load.

I am still waiting for the AHCI mode to work correctly so I can have the drives spin-down saving even more energy during extended standby times. You can't have drive spindown with HP RAID controllers. If the drives could spin-down the Server would only pull ~35W idling. With the N54L I had I could get even lower at ~28W but thats mainly because it doesn't have iLo4 constantly consuming ~4W even when the server off (but plugged in).

Oh, forgot to mention that the WD RED drive temperatures are shown in iLO4 when configured with the B120i, but not in AHCI. Shows HD Max at 35C with CPU at 40C.

The G8 Microserver is a real power beast when upgrade with the E3-1265LV2 45W CPU, P222 RAID card and 16GB RAM, yet still quiet enough for my living room and low power usage for its performance. Even with the CPU flat out running Prime for over 2hrs it stayed cool (60C) with fan reaching ~39%.

Occasional Visitor
thwn
Message 77 of 288 (5,621 Views)

Hi Peter

I completely agree.

I was planning to buy a MicroServer to use Ubuntu + ZFS, but without a solution to the AHCI fan problem this is a no go. I would even be willing to wait for some more time, if HP would confirm that this is a bug and that it will be fixed any time soon.

Regarding the support state for the various OSes you mentioned: at least Ubuntu 12.04 is fully HP supported on the MicroServer Gen8, according to this page here: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/linux/hplinuxcert-canonical.html

Thomas

Frequent Advisor
subsix
Message 78 of 288 (5,607 Views)

@Thomas,

Thanks for the info regarding Ubuntu. Happy to hear that that OS is supported now. Interestingly, according to the following page the Ubuntu certification has been performed in AHCI mode (B120i driver unavailable).

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/linux/supportmatrix/ubuntu/exceptions/ubuntu-exceptions.h...

I would expect that this also means that a reasonable noise level can be achieved... would be interesting to hear what configuration (firmware and iLO versions, HDs) had been used...

Peter

Frequent Advisor
subsix
Message 79 of 288 (5,602 Views)

[ Edited ]

@psikey,

Thanks for the info that a B120i RAID could be reconnected to a P222 without data loss. I didn't try that but my experience with "software" RAID controllers has been fairly negative…

No question, with your Windows setup you could use the "single drive RAID0" workaround. However, that only works for OS's where a B120i driver is available (Windows, Red Hat,…). And it is out of question that the P222 works well as that is a supported card.

I share your concerns about the higher power consumption with an add on card installed (the H220 in my case). I'd be happy too to get rid of that and get back to using the B120i in AHCI mode…

For now I am okay with the H220 installed - Low noise is much more important in our current situation than power consumption. Let's hope that HP gets this resolved….

Peter

Occasional Advisor
TeoCiontu
Message 80 of 288 (5,529 Views)

I've  bought microserver gen8 1610T for about 220 euros, last Friday ( it was black Friday here in Romania). A good deal, I said to myself. Now I'm thinking to return it for the noise problem.

I want to use it in my room as NAS and Media Server (upgrading the video board).

But the noise is not acceptable for such low power CPU machine. The whole idea of such devices is low noise and low energy consumption . This is the selling point.

What do you think guys, is there any chance to be fixed  by bios update ? 

Did someone tried Windows 8 with the raid controller ?

Thank you for pushing HP support for a fix.

I'll make a ticket too.

teo

Frequent Advisor
subsix
Message 81 of 288 (5,514 Views)

@TeoCiontu,

I didn't really have a noise issue with the B120i in RAID mode and Windows (2012), Red Hat Linux or ESXi as the OS. I haven't tried it but would expect Win8 to behave similarly.

With my two WD RED and a HP genuine disk I got consistent fan speeds of 7-11% in iLO (Win 2012, B120i in RAID mode). Nice and quiet. The HGST 2.5" drives that I wanted to install initially didn't work as expected as iLO couldn't read the temperature sensors... So resulting fan speeds may vary with the kind of hard disks you use. 

Do I understand you correctly that you'd like to install a video card? From what I recall there were issues with "unsupported" PCIe cards. But I never tried myself...

BTW: 220 EUR sounds great - I paid almost 500 EUR for my G2020...

Peter

Occasional Visitor
bkraptor
Message 82 of 288 (5,373 Views)

I also have recently purchased one. After having tried everything I could think of without any success I will most likely return it as I am still within the legal period.

This is sad, as it looks like quite a nice piece of hardware, but the noise is unbearable.

Occasional Advisor
TeoCiontu
Message 83 of 288 (5,368 Views)

@Peter

I've installed windows server 2012 with B120i in raid 0 and the fan is at 6% so indeed very quiet so I'm quit happy till now. 

(I've figured out how to install Windows Server 2012 with B120i enabled, it was a little bit tricky. 

I had to install manually with the driver of B120i on an usb, and during windows installation to use the driver_

Now I found another issue: the read cache is set to 64kb but ACU gives me a status alert that the controller  cannot allocate the read cache so it will be 0kb. 

I cannot find a solution anywhere.

Probably I'll not install a video card anymore. I will use only for server purposes. 

If you know something about that read cache error pls tell me. 

best, 

teo

Occasional Advisor
TeoCiontu
Message 84 of 288 (5,366 Views)

I was very close to do the same, a lot of frustration but I manage to install windows server 2012 with b120i enabled and it is very quiet.
Now I'm playing around with ILO ( with a trial license key) and I'm somehow in-loved with the server ;). So if you say exactly what did you try maybe we can help. Don't give it back yet, I had the same experience. Regards, teo
Occasional Visitor
buzatu
Message 85 of 288 (5,301 Views)

@TeoCiontu
Hi can you please tell me what HDDs do you have inside the server? Brand, model, size....
Thx
Occasional Advisor
TeoCiontu
Message 86 of 288 (5,293 Views)

@buzatu WD 2Tb Red.

I've notice that the status error for read cache is appearing only in offline ACU (accessed with F5 during POST) .

When I'm in windows server 2012,  Windows Array Diagnostic Utility  and iLO, reports read cache in the right amount I've set it in offline ACU.

Occasional Visitor
jazz1138
Message 87 of 288 (5,281 Views)

I've submitted a support request today and have also been told I need to use genuine HP Gen8 drives. The support person also offered to supply one for testing. Not sure if I should bother going through with it. Even if It does fix the problem It's going to cost over $1000AUD to replace all four drives. 

Frequent Advisor
subsix
Message 88 of 288 (5,271 Views)

@Teo,

I noticed that ACU message myself with the B120i in RAID mode. I haven't paid much attention to that detail but believe that it went away after installing more RAM. How much RAM do you have installed in your server?

Best regards,

Peter

Occasional Advisor
TeoCiontu
Message 89 of 288 (5,266 Views)

@peter 2 gb.

Very interesting is that yestarday I had a 2 hr chat with a guy from hp support, he was very helpful but he couldn't find an answer. 

He told me that he will check in depth and will give me an answer today.

Also, Today I've notice that the status error for read cache is appearing only in offline ACU (accessed with F5 during POST) .

When I'm in windows server 2012,  Windows Array Diagnostic Utility  and iLO, reports read cache in the right amount I've set it in offline ACU.

I want to check that everything is ok with the server within the grace period of returning it to the point of sale, if it will be the case.

How is your experience till now with the server ?

Teo

Frequent Advisor
subsix
Message 90 of 288 (5,259 Views)

@Teo,

I recall that ACU message from when I had just 2GB installed in my machine too. I believe it was gone when I upgraded to the 16GB that I have installed now but cannot vouch for that. And as I won't run the B120i in RAID mode it is almost irrelevant for my specific scenario.

My overall experience with the Microserver Gen8 is positive. In particular, the build quality of the machine is very good IMHO. However, it took a while until I found a low-noise non-RAID configuration -and unfortunately HP support was not helpful in that regard. I really hope that they will address the noise issue in AHCI mode that this entire thread is about as I am running an add-on card currently that I would like to get rid of again ASAP for lower power consumption.

Peter

Occasional Advisor
TeoCiontu
Message 91 of 288 (5,261 Views)

I'm using b120i in raid 0 for each HDD (now only one 2TB WDred) just because of the noise issue in AHCI. Is it possible to use b120i in raid 0 and making the raid array in the OS ? I heard that for some raid solution you Must use the controller in AHCI, is that true ? Teo
Frequent Advisor
PAC_
Message 92 of 288 (5,246 Views)

AHCI is required for software-defined storage solutions like ZFS. Keep in mind that the B120i controller is not active until an array has been configured.

This would mean having a single drive RAID0 array defined on the B120i controller but this triggers other problems with Intel VT-d and VMware ESXi.

Occasional Advisor
TeoCiontu
Message 93 of 288 (5,232 Views)

So practically if you are not configuring an array, b210i works as a simple controller...
But if I'm not usint VT-d or VMware ESXi I hope it is safe to use it, corect me if Im wrong.
The only reason why I'm usinng it is for the noise in AHCI mode.
Frequent Advisor
PAC_
Message 94 of 288 (5,224 Views)

The B120i is safe to use, VT-d is only useful when installing an Intel Xeon E3 V2 CPU for virtualization. This tweak is not covered under HP systems qualification and warranty.

The only two solutions at the moment seem to be:

- Configuring a disk array on the B120i

- Installing an H220 controller and configuring a disk array (higher power consumption)

The official response from support has been to acquire and install genuine HP hard drives but fan speed goes down when configuring a disk array with 3rd party disks.

As per my initial post and support case, my hard disks are 4x Seagate NAS ST3000VN000.

Occasional Advisor
ibhpgb
Message 95 of 288 (5,207 Views)

The official response from support has been to acquire and install genuine HP hard drives but fan speed goes down when configuring a disk array with 3rd party disks.

Is that the end of this thread? No fix? (except use only hp drives.)

Frequent Advisor
PAC_
Message 96 of 288 (5,203 Views)

ibhpgb wrote:

This is the answer that people are starting to receive from telephone support agents.

Jimmy Vance is still helping me push the case through to engineering. There hasn't been any activity for the last two weeks, I will ask for an update this week.

Honored Contributor
Jimmy Vance
Message 97 of 288 (5,202 Views)

ibhpgb wrote:

As stated elsewhere in this thread, it doesn't matter if the disks are HP or not.

Occasional Visitor
jazz1138
Message 98 of 288 (5,160 Views)

I ended up just closing the ticket as it could not progress any further since I am not using genuine HP drives or a supported operating system. However the support persion said they were aware of this forum article when I mentioned it and will check the with engineering on the current status.

Frequent Advisor
PAC_
Message 99 of 288 (4,954 Views)

Case closed, the official solution is to configure the B120i in RAID mode. That would mean configuring at least one disk as a RAID-0 array:

Comment added: 12/4/2013 10:15:14 PM
Product working as designed.

Comment added: 12/4/2013 10:14:57 PM
Problem Description: Microserver Gen8 fan noise
Solution: Use controller in RAID mode
Additional comments: If using AHCI or Legacy controller mode, fan noise will occur. There is no possibility in lowering the fan speeds in this modes to a lower value. It is going to be BIOS/iLO safe ranges.

Comment added: 12/4/2013 2:46:34 PM
A customer advisory will be released in the next weeks.
Product working as designed.
Closing subcase.

Comment added: 12/4/2013 11:41:55 AM
Resolution from L3:

This works as designed. While B120i/B320i is in use, HP’s driver provides storage thermal info to iLO and it controls the fan speed precisely. However if B120i/B320i is disabled, driver from Operation System or chipset manufacturer is used and these drivers do not update iLO with thermal information. Therefore, iLO will use the backup thermal solution to set the fan speed at a safe speed which results higher fan speed and noise level.

Frequent Advisor
PAC_
Message 100 of 288 (4,952 Views)

I can confirm iLO4 is not receiving 04-HD Max thermal sensor information when configured in AHCI mode.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.